Wee Video of Me Hitting Some Balls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"This video is unavailable"..
    "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
    - Linus Pauling

Comment

Originally Posted by nrage View Post
      "This video is unavailable"..
      Took half an hour for youtube to process it. Blimey. Working now.
      Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Yes, when I first checked I thought maybe you had done the video in the nude or something and youtube barred it.

OK...things are definitely looking better here (although tough to see from that distance with the low lighting). You are now bending the bridge arm slightly however it appeared that your elbow was still not on the table but maybe it was on the cushion but I couldn't tell (next time move the cueball up maybe 6" or so then you'll have a pure hand-on-the-table shot and I can check for weight on the elbow). It might be better if you put just a touch more bend in the bridge arm, enough so you can sort of 'push' the left elbow into the cloth a bit so it will be taking some weight for sure.

For my money you are still getting down into the shot too fast although someone here has posted that might be your natural rhythm, but it still looks hurried to me and not so smooth at all.

It looks like you've almost defeated the head movement and that should have increased your potting accuracy, especially on long balls. However, the butt of the cue still appeared to be a little higher than it should be, but again hard to see (one chalk height off the cushion and no more for most shots).

Last half of the video was not much good as you weren't in it so there was nothing to see except the 3 attempts at the pot to the far left pocket.

You also said something in a previous post which I think might be causing you some discomfort. The straight leg is NOT vertical in either plane, meaning when sighted from both the rear and the side. When you get down into the address position (really too fast for me) you should twist the hips to the left while pushing the right hip to the rear. This will mean the straight leg will be leaning back (foot ahead of hip) when viewed from the side and leaning right to left (foot to hip) when viewed from the rear. It isn't a lot but pushing the hips to the rear will help you to get the back flat (not level though as some people have stated) and over to the left enough so your grip hand clears your trouser pocket by 2"-3" on the backswing. Both feet should point a little outward from the line of aim to relieve any strain on the knee joint and ligaments on the straight leg especially. This may end up with you bending the left leg just a touch more.

Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
          Yes, when I first checked I thought maybe you had done the video in the nude or something and youtube barred it.

OK...things are definitely looking better here (although tough to see from that distance with the low lighting). You are now bending the bridge arm slightly however it appeared that your elbow was still not on the table but maybe it was on the cushion but I couldn't tell (next time move the cueball up maybe 6" or so then you'll have a pure hand-on-the-table shot and I can check for weight on the elbow). It might be better if you put just a touch more bend in the bridge arm, enough so you can sort of 'push' the left elbow into the cloth a bit so it will be taking some weight for sure.

For my money you are still getting down into the shot too fast although someone here has posted that might be your natural rhythm, but it still looks hurried to me and not so smooth at all.

It looks like you've almost defeated the head movement and that should have increased your potting accuracy, especially on long balls. However, the butt of the cue still appeared to be a little higher than it should be, but again hard to see (one chalk height off the cushion and no more for most shots).

Last half of the video was not much good as you weren't in it so there was nothing to see except the 3 attempts at the pot to the far left pocket.

You also said something in a previous post which I think might be causing you some discomfort. The straight leg is NOT vertical in either plane, meaning when sighted from both the rear and the side. When you get down into the address position (really too fast for me) you should twist the hips to the left while pushing the right hip to the rear. This will mean the straight leg will be leaning back (foot ahead of hip) when viewed from the side and leaning right to left (foot to hip) when viewed from the rear. It isn't a lot but pushing the hips to the rear will help you to get the back flat (not level though as some people have stated) and over to the left enough so your grip hand clears your trouser pocket by 2"-3" on the backswing. Both feet should point a little outward from the line of aim to relieve any strain on the knee joint and ligaments on the straight leg especially. This may end up with you bending the left leg just a touch more.

Terry
          Thankyou Coach. Spot on.

Yeah, I felt more comfortable today pushing the R bum cheek out, and putting more weight on the left leg and bending that knee more, so the weight was more even; then the R leg was sloping more, but the cue was still over the R shoelaces. I am still cueing quite low and I need to adjust my bridge, this will lower the butt a bit. I will try and do a proper video in the near future with some lighting and a proper camera. When on the table, my bridge arm is more bent, the upper arm parallel to the cue, as may here have advised. This is a good thing. I need to do it more on the cushions, and I think I could still get that L shoulder down a bit more too. I briefly tried bent arm a couple of months ago (on your advice) but couldn't pot anything and quickly went back to straight arm. If only I'd persisted more. Nevermind. It's there now, and I just don't want to go back to straight arm, it's not such a good feeling. The distance between my two hands (the span) is shorter now due to the bent arm and slight change in stance, and this takes a bit of getting used to an adjusting for, e.g. moving the hand up the butt a shade, to compensate for a shorter length. I will try and slow down some more, though it feels like half speed already, lol. I will try and get that back flatter, and lower the body some more, though the difference in just two sessions is dramatic, so more can be garnered.

I really feel that making that first video and then making changes has helped already, and only more good can follow.

Once again, thanks for you help. You really are a star mate.

Comment

Originally Posted by particle physics View Post
            * i joined this forum with the attitude that any decent cue and tip would do, and a table was a table, and poly balls were fine. Now i demand a decent cue, want certain types of tip that my mates haven't even heard of that cost ten times as much as their elks (and some have played twenty years or more), a flat table, medium to fast cloth and aramith tc balls. I'm already considering ordering another cue (partly due to waiting times) and case which will have to be the very best around. Check me, mr. Fancy pants. I'm nearly as bad (or good) as some of the old hands on here!
            priceless!

Comment

Gotta agree with Terry.. things are looking MUCH BETTER here PP, more control. I'm sure once you have your 1 on 1 coaching you will improve greatly. Keep up the great work!
              Last edited by Inoffthered; 20 August 2012, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Hi, PP,

What would you say is your average break when your in and around the balls ?..
                JP Majestic
                3/4
                57"
                17oz
                9.5mm Elk

Comment

HI pp

i have 2 points with regards to your new video.

1-on the long pots it seems that you place your cue to the left of the cue ball when you line up. are u using CTE (Center to Edge) system that the Americans usually use or is it something else. if it is CTE it doesn't work.

2- not sure what you were trying to achieve on the last three shots, nice last pot, however if that was in a match would you say the easier shot would be to the bottom right pocket.

i agree with Terry that the lighting wasn't the best, i still think that you could bend the elbow a bit more and this will allow you bridge elbow to get lower. i have introduced this into my game it allows you to get closer to the cueball and improves stability.

good luck with all the changes you making, at least you not trying to murder the pockets now...Lol

Alabbadi

Comment

Couldn't see an awful lot there PP. When playing those long pots off the blue spot it's imperative that they are dead straight. It looked like you were missing only to the left side at first, cue ball going to the right after contact, but then you potted some with the cue ball also going to the right after contact, so as regards to finding out how straight your cueing is; I couldn't tell. Also couldn't see if you were getting down lower or not, too far away and too dark. Film with the house lights on as well as the table lights in future and try to show some side on shots of your stance from both left and right.

alabadi

those last three shots played into the left hand pocket look harder but in fact the left hand pocket would be more open than the right hand pocket and in a match that would be the easier shot to play IMO, especially on a tight table.

Comment

This is not a 12 foot table, is it?
                      I would like to embed a videoclip too, where can I find out how to do this?

There is one thing I don't like about your playing: after you lined up the shot the way you go down. It is not elegant at all. If you played me in a tournament match I would get the impression that you are under pressure and it would make feel stronger. Try to show more how you enjoy going down to the shot!

Comment

There is one thing I don't like about your playing: after you lined up the shot the way you go down. It is not elegant at all. If you played me in a tournament match I would get the impression that you are under pressure and it would make me feel stronger. Try to show more how you enjoy going down to the shot!

Comment

I definitely miss the possibility to edit my post, or to delete it.

Comment

Originally Posted by herbie View Post
                            I definitely miss the possibility to edit my post, or to delete it.
                            When you get to 10 posts you can edit.. your posts
                            "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                            - Linus Pauling

Comment

Originally Posted by herbie View Post

There is one thing I don't like about your playing: after you lined up the shot the way you go down. It is not elegant at all. If you played me in a tournament match I would get the impression that you are under pressure and it would make me feel stronger. Try to show more how you enjoy going down to the shot!
                              No, I'm more relaxed off camera, I really don't like cameras. lol

Comment

herbie:

You can post a video on youtube and then post the link here

Terry
                                Terry Davidson
                                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
                                X