Micro-adjusting - your thoughts ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
    micro-adjusting ... do you do it? if so, what are you adjusting? should you do it? is it that bad? are you trying to stop doing it?

pro's all do it (except possibly Tony Drago) and you can clearly see that they do ... once they address the cue ball they all take a few seconds before they deliver the cue, they all do when the frame is live ...

ok, once the frame is over and they can't make a century, they often do just get down and hit the ball on their standing line of aim (and often make the pot) ...

so is micro-adjusting right or wrong, should we do it or not?

As others have already said, don't ever do it!

As for - 'pro's all do it', I'll think you'll find they try hard not to, and when they do they miss more often than not.
    I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Today I had the opportunity to practice. I tried not micro-adjusting (hard not to) and was surprised when I didn't, I potted more than I missed.

Comment

Originally Posted by FerruleFox View Post
        If you're making micro adjustments, you're not committed to the shot.

Stand up.

Find your line.

Get down and be committed to the shot you visualized in your head.
        yup yup... micro adjustments happen to me and it is very common because i'm not confident in my aiming. sometimes, the potting angle we see may be slightly unreasonable as we bend down to aim it. so just be confident and dont loose your focus!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Siz View Post
          1B) as soon as you have got down and before allowing any movement of the cue, adjust your eye position so that the shot looks right (by shifting your chin sideways, tilting your head or turning it).

2) after getting down, try to ignore the visual information that you are getting in that position. Just trust your alignment.
          Good tips. Sometime I just gotta tell myself to trust basics. Micro-adjust SIGHTING but not base AIMING ! Surely it's always golden rule from Terry that I must drop my address eye directly on the line and keep still onwards.
          Discipline makes consistence...

Comment

Originally Posted by howardlax View Post
            Good tips. Sometime I just gotta tell myself to trust basics. Micro-adjust SIGHTING but not base AIMING ! Surely it's always golden rule from Terry that I must drop my address eye directly on the line and keep still onwards.
            Discipline makes consistence...
            To clarify. AIMING is done when standing behind the shot and uses both eyes. SIGHTING is done when you assume the address position behind the cueball and your PREFERRED SIGHTING eye should be in the proper place you've determined with all those adjustments, SightRite stuff and anything else tried to define your set-up with eyes in relation to the cue.

Let's face it, micro-adjusting is done by most players either from time to time or frequently but it's not a good thing because as has been said above, your first take on AIMING is usually the most correct one and if you drop your head STRAIGHT DOWN into the address position you'll most likely be on the correct line.
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Typically I'd miss the pot regardless but by 'micro adjusting', instead of hitting jaws I'll hit cushions

Comment

i just touched on this subject on my other post on the "Coaching"" threads..

Yes, every player must polish up on their aiming so you can trust it on sighting, once you do the balls will drop in. Doesn't happen overnight though as we know. You just have to put in the hours..
                JP Majestic
                3/4
                57"
                17oz
                9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                  To clarify. AIMING is done when standing behind the shot and uses both eyes. SIGHTING is done when you assume the address position behind the cueball and your PREFERRED SIGHTING eye should be in the proper place you've determined with all those adjustments, SightRite stuff and anything else tried to define your set-up with eyes in relation to the cue.

Let's face it, micro-adjusting is done by most players either from time to time or frequently but it's not a good thing because as has been said above, your first take on AIMING is usually the most correct one and if you drop your head STRAIGHT DOWN into the address position you'll most likely be on the correct line.
                  And I have to confess sometime I just worried to come back up too many times before my opponent wanted to throw his cue at me. Being said, I understand aiming MUST be decided and performed on the way down at address position. Once my chin touches cue, there should no more adjustment. It is the hardest but simplest thing to keep cueing correct. Still , hrs and hrs in required...

Comment

And I have to confess sometime I just worried to come back up too many times before my opponent wanted to throw his cue at me. Being said, I understand aiming MUST be decided and performed on the way down at address position. Once my chin touches cue, there should no more adjustment. It is the hardest but simplest thing to keep cueing correct. Still , hrs and hrs in required...
                    You're not the first person on here I've seen saying they don't like to get up from the shot because of what your opponent might think, terrible mindset. Your opponent is there to pick the balls out for you and what he thinks doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                      You're not the first person on here I've seen saying they don't like to get up from the shot because of what your opponent might think, terrible mindset. Your opponent is there to pick the balls out for you and what he thinks doesn't matter.
                      Next time I will try to think my opponent as my caddie....

Comment

Originally Posted by Siz View Post
                        after getting down, try to ignore the visual information that you are getting in that position. Just trust your alignment.
                        Siz
                        i think this is very hard to do, and is a skill to achieve it.

Comment

Don't agree I'm afraid in my humble opinion a pro would never micro-adjust and from my experience of being coached by an ex pro he certainly wouldn't recommend it. The feathers and front pause/back pause etc have nothing to do with adjusting the line of aim, it's decided when your above the shot as you walk in on the line of it. All they do when they are down at the table is prepare to deliver the cue as smoothly and sweetly as possible along the line of aim.

I would guess the reason they speed up when they've made the century is the same reason I and every other amatuer probably would speed up a bit aswell by the time you've knocked in the frame winning contribution whatever that may be 20 or 100 then your timing is bang on and the bags look like buckets so you speed up a bit and maybe do less feathers or faster cue action in general.

Not bringing the cue through in a straight line is the biggest difference between a club player and a pro player when they are down all their thinking about is getting through the white cleanly 100% of the time and it's hard enough to do without 'micro-adjusting' a shot

Comment

Originally Posted by Derek P View Post
                            Don't agree I'm afraid in my humble opinion a pro would never micro-adjust and from my experience of being coached by an ex pro he certainly wouldn't recommend it. The feathers and front pause/back pause etc have nothing to do with adjusting the line of aim, it's decided when your above the shot as you walk in on the line of it. All they do when they are down at the table is prepare to deliver the cue as smoothly and sweetly as possible along the line of aim.

I would guess the reason they speed up when they've made the century is the same reason I and every other amatuer probably would speed up a bit aswell by the time you've knocked in the frame winning contribution whatever that may be 20 or 100 then your timing is bang on and the bags look like buckets so you speed up a bit and maybe do less feathers or faster cue action in general.

Not bringing the cue through in a straight line is the biggest difference between a club player and a pro player when they are down all their thinking about is getting through the white cleanly 100% of the time and it's hard enough to do without 'micro-adjusting' a shot
                            100% correct. I stated this on another thread ( how to improve position thread I think ). On Aiming ( standing behind the shot ) I confirm the potting angle and where on the face I will strike the CB for position, that takes 5 to 6 secs, in practice. Then I drop straight down.
                            JP Majestic
                            3/4
                            57"
                            17oz
                            9.5mm Elk

Comment

Next time I will try to think my opponent as my caddie....
                              Just don't ask him which cue you should use before every shot

Comment

"pro's all do it".......................... are they not putting side on ? ie finding the middle of the white and then micro adjusting (moving the tip) to the side they are going to put on? I know I know you shouldn't cue across but many do.
                                Easy on the garlic....

Comment

Working...
                                X