A grip observation I cant rid my mind of- please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

karakiksi:

The way to learn this is just as was described above. In solo practice and for learning only grip the cue with the top inside of the thumb and forefinger and have the thumb and all 4 fingers pointing towards the floor (in other words not on the cue at all). Try some different types of shot with this grip and see how it feels as you will soon realize this type of grip can be almost as effective as a full grip with all 4 fingers touching the cue.

Once you feel you could, if you wanted to, use this grip then revert back to your normal grip with is virtually the correct one. The hold on the cue is by the upper part of the thumb and forefinger with the thumb pointed straight down to the floor and the 4 fingers loosely curled around the butt. The trick is to not tighten the 4 fingers as you deliver the cue and this is especially tough when doing a power shot as the unconscious thing done by most players is to tighten the grip in order to accelerate the cue quicker.

This is a big error as the grip shouldn't tighten until well after the cueball has been struck. The primary point is the wrist joint will normally turn a bit when tightening those fingers and this takes the butt of the cue right off the line of aim (maybe just a little, but enough to miss a long pot and even totally miss the pocket in some cases). The will also impart unintentional side on the cueball.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

karakiksi

What you said is correct - ability to hold the cue with the "top" of inner thumb and index finger even if the other four fingers are pointing to the floor.

However it's a variable that you must play with and find out for yourself. not too tight or loose that it's drops down.

A balance between gripping with the "V" and resting on the "fingers" however the variable is dependent on each individual.

More dominant grip on the "V" lesser on the "fingers"
      Last edited by Izzyfcuk; 19 July 2013, 12:47 PM.

Comment

You said you've been going down the club 5-9 five days a week for 10 years, you telling porkies pies again old bean?

I appreciate English for you is very important to build on your business so, keep typing on tsf son-shine

Originally Posted by Sidd View Post
        Indeed yes but then this is simply due to the fact that I do not get enough time or chance for solo practice. Otherwise I am just about there as for the English, I believe, it always was and improving ...

Cheers

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
          You said you've been going down the club 5-9 five days a week for 10 years, you telling porkies pies again old bean?

I appreciate English for you is very important to build on your business so, keep typing on tsf son-shine

Yes! You are absolutely correct in this regard. However, and I must admit sadly, I have not been doing solo sessions most of my time, which is what has made my progress rather redundant. The problem has been twofold i.e. neither was I aware of the importance of solo in my early years nor there is a chance in the clubs down here for solo given the fact that clubs are mostly crowded and the manager has to ensure everybody gets a chance to play. But I have resolved to give myself as much time in solo as possible.

Last night I booked a table for an hour but was given only 15 minutes and the club manager requested me to stop as a few more customers arrived. In my 15 minutes I did up and down the spots and was amazed to notice that with my wrist cock (now getting natural for me) I could hit the top cushion 2 times and the white would still bisect the brown spot Then I lined up 15 reds and missed second red restarted missed third red restarted and then took 11 and was on my 12th when the bell rang But I am happy overall...!

I am enjoying myself after more than 3 years of anguish I must say. It all happened due to two things. I used to play on my own without coaching and learnt quickly. so firstly I got to know about master eye thing and in order to favour my left eye (master) I switched to square on and hence being tall started scooping. Secondly, a player said to me my grip is too loose and I need to grip it tight at the end of the shot. I used to play with thumb and forefinger grip and rest three were off the butt throughout the stroke. Anyway, I did what he said and knocked in a 54. I think this made it nailed on to my subconscious and I started gripping tight perhaps. This took me to a voyage for 3 years to get myself sorted out again And now I have my good old confidence back and consistency is not a nightmare anymore.

As for the English again, indeed i do write a lot on tsf, whenever I get the time. But then you know what; writing is actually my hobby and I do consider myself an unpublished writer in a way It surely adds up to making my business shine and I am on it thanks for the encouragement sire !!!

By the way, if you want to read some of my scribbling I blog on:

www.theorthodox.wordpress.com

and

www.snooked.wordpress.com

Happy reading... would love to see your comments about that !
          "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

booked for an hour but asked to come off after 15mins!
            Did the other book the table or did they just walk in an expect to go on the table?
            I would say no, I have my time booked, the others can wait politely for their turn. Regardless if you are doing solo practise, or playing a knock about with friends, or knocking in 147 after 147 (as we know you do regularly Sidd ) you have your time booked it is your table.
            If he is insistent, then say you want a two-hour-block for free as recompense!
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

That's all he can do! He's not really a practice kinda guy 'as has been stated by sidd himself'. More of a knock abouta.. He likes watching it, talking and writing about it on forums, as we can see, its the lifestyle he enjoys.
              But I raise my can. What an achievement to be able to adequately converse at length in another language about your passion

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              booked for an hour but asked to come off after 15mins!
              Did the other book the table or did they just walk in an expect to go on the table?
              I would say no, I have my time booked, the others can wait politely for their turn. Regardless if you are doing solo practise, or playing a knock about with friends, or knocking in 147 after 147 (as we know you do regularly Sidd ) you have your time booked it is your table.
              If he is insistent, then say you want a two-hour-block for free as recompense!

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                That's all he can do! He's not really a practice kinda guy 'as has been stated by sidd himself'. More of a knock abouta.. He likes watching it, talking and writing about it on forums, as we can see, its the lifestyle he enjoys.
                But I raise my can. What an achievement to be able to adequately converse at length in another language about your passion
                yep, let's see how well we can do it in Farsi

but not nice, book a table and not allowed to play your allocation

Comment

Yeah can't wait
                  Sure sidd's happy to give up the table though because he gets bored after 20mins slapping the balls about

yep, let's see how well we can do it in Farsi

but not nice, book a table and not allowed to play your allocation

Comment

Move over here Sidd, you can play all day and sometimes not see another soul.
                    Last edited by itsnoteasy; 20 July 2013, 03:01 PM.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

lol yeah but then you spend 20mins at the end looking for the staff to pay for the table.

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                      Move over hear Sidd, you can play all day and sometimes not see another soul.

Comment

find a member's club with those coin boxes

Comment

That's the only places I go now. Do love the meter. Rbl is the place I play best, cus there's always a crack and a good crowd to watch
                          find a member's club with those coin boxes

Comment

Not a member myself of a RBL but a friend is and we go there often, 3 nice old tables well looked after, and a good crowd but can still get a few hours together to focus. 20p/20min
                            A member of a sport/social club myself, again 3 tables. 50p/15min
                            Both places have a board where you put your name up if all tables are being used, the next table to finish a frame come off.
                            Only has happened to me once in each place.

Comment

Love it! Olschool. The places to go for some sanity.

Not a member myself of a RBL but a friend is and we go there often, 3 nice old tables well looked after, and a good crowd but can still get a few hours together to focus. 20p/20min
                              A member of a sport/social club myself, again 3 tables. 50p/15min
                              Both places have a board where you put your name up if all tables are being used, the next table to finish a frame come off.
                              Only has happened to me once in each place.

Comment

Itsnoteasy: Do you really think that I wouldn't have been there if I could have ??? I might have been there years ago trust me. Even though that my maternal aunt lives in Blackburn since the 50's and my uncle lives in Surrey since the 60's ... I love the winter months... warm clothing and a pipe with English tobacco could help me pass through... Agatha Christie is my favourite fiction writer... I still sometimes watch yes minister and yes prime minister REPEATEDLY... many other things !!! So I would have if I could have mate

DeanH: It is true dear but then its all too different here. If I would have been in another club like the one I did my video from, it would have been different. I would have had my time and nobody would have asked me to stop. But here in this club where I usually play as its nearest to my home i.e. hardly 10 mins drive they only have five tables and many many players to play all the time. So they don't really encourage solo sessions. What I can do however is to reach the club on Fridays and Saturdays before peak time and have my singular sessions will do that surely !

J6UK: Well yes indeed it is so. I am mostly in to playing, watching, reading, writing and listening to snooker well yes even hearing about snooker haha most of my time. You know all my snooker mates mobile numbers have been classified in to a category on my phonebook called 'snooker mates' and when anyone rings, the old classic snooker BBC theme tone goes on Woah! Now that is really more than usual yeah LOL ! As for being able to converse about my passion in another language is concerned ... well my man... maybe serving at the UNESCO as a Senior National Expert on Human Rights in the past and making all those technical reports as well as being an Associate Professor (visiting faculty / part time) on International Human Rights Protection, Business Management and Foreign Affairs might have actually helped; just that little bit

Snooker is like oxygen for me. I am rather addicted to it !!!
                                "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

Working...
                                X