No announcement yet.

A grip observation I cant rid my mind of- please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sidd if you must have two players at a table can you not find a practice partner, set the reds up, have turn about doing them, or any other routine, you will do the reds easy , I did it first time and you are better than me, but I do get peace and quiet to do it.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I think thats a great idea... Will keep it in mind and see if this can be done. thanks mate.

By the way guys, I could not help noticing that John Higgins has a similar skin bubble at the V of the grip hand during address, backswing and start of delivery.... Ros has the same configuration in address and the backswing of course... Hmmmm !!!
      "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

Sidd

I think you are right Sidd, you are going bonkers!!
        Too much analysis is a bad thing it will really play on your mind and instead of thinking of potting balls you are thinking of something else.
        Do what is comfortable and enjoy the game. :snooker:
        38 in a Tournament
        98 in a Lineup

Comment

Sidd:

Try and develop a technique and set-up which is SIDD'S and not Sidd copying ROS, JH, etc. etc.

It is true there shouldn't be an 'air gap' between the web and the butt of the cue however it doesn't have to be extremely tight but it will form a 'bulge' in the web on the backswing as the angle of the cue changes in relation to the grip hand.

Terry
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

It might just be my hands but when I just make a ring with my thumb and fore finger the skin makes that ripple any way,without a cue, am I deformed lol?

Comment

Itsnoteasy: not deformed but i would say, made for snooker

Terry: you are right. I used to tinker over such things in the past and let them ruin my game. Watching Ros mostly and bringing something not my own in to my game. But after the video I really know what I have to work upon- thanks greatly to you and others on the forum I now have only three basic things in my technique to work out. And now whenever I come across such things like this here I do share my thoughts with you all and try to learn and seek knowledge however I never try to put them in my technique and let them ruin me .... nah! not anymore I say.

From this point onwards I have decided to change something after carefully reviewing why such a change is needed and that if I really need that change and what benefit would that be to me. In a way I have trained myself to be very stern with respect to changing set up.

I noted something interesting in the last few days. Terry if I play with a full boxers stance (even more pronounced than usual having bent leg literally up in front of the straight, I can play better and cue straighter. So I am now trying to play like that and it does seem comfortable and I feel more confident that way... Is it really due to the reason that while playing square on and half boxers I am not cueing straighter as compared to now because I am not really twisting on the hip.

I have been playing with much consistency in the past couple of weeks and I have never been happier. Last night I went in for a few frames and was playing not so good because I wasnt relaxed but I kept trying and trying and then in the 5th frame I got a chance on my opening shot- a red near the black and I knocked in a 56 break. During the break it seemed as if I am an artist and whatever picture I had in mind for every shot I was executing it with ease. Stuns and roll ins and I dont know what. I think I made that in like 5 minutes or less... whatever I wanted to do was happening for me. I took a red and placed a three quarters black which I needed to stun and go to the nearby red off the top cushion... easy thingi... And I missed it by a good margin... Got so unhappy for having missed a great chance but then well 56 wasnt that bad after some time. After the black and at the time of the red someone cried nice 50 carry on and maybe that comment made me think that I am 50 plus and in control perhaps I can beat my 67...

Last but not the least, my long pots are actually not good these days. even though I would do the drill go down straight and very slow do the whole thing but then miss them, mostly. But I am pretty much ok with everything and trying to improve. All I need now is some time in solo every day or at least 2-3 times a week and things will improve. I talked to a friend last night and maybe after ramzan i.e. mid august and onwards he will have a table booked with me (as per itsnoteasy's idea) and we shall play together). Lets see about that.

Comment

Sidd:

As far as the stance goes, it should be whatever feels comfortable to you and gives you confidence. If you look at photos of Joe Davis he had his left foot virtually in front of his right foot, however remember he also has the cue running on the left side of his cheek as he was virtually blind in his right eye. Since he wore a tie with a large windsor knot too this used to give him a 5-point channel to run the cue through as he would wear out a tie each evening.

Terry
                Terry Davidson

Comment

Thanks for that Sidd, I like that.
                  Just one thing I would like to say Sidd, I think tinkering all the time makes things worse, I did it , as soon as my form went I looked for something else, as I kind of thought it couldn't be me, it had to be something else I wasn't doing, I then went to see Chris, he set me up right, showed me exactly what to do, now if I have a bad day (touch wood its still going well)I know exactly what's wrong and the answer is ,its me, I'm doing something wrong, look at what Chris and Terry post time and time again, it's always the same advice, why? Because its the right advice, get a set up ,stick to it, because if the form goes its probably not the set up , it's you not following the rules , good luck.

Comment

Well said itsnoteasy

Terry
                    Terry Davidson

Comment

I don't know how you and the other coaches put up with us Terry lol.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                        Yes inside the thumb and first finger, or the eye of the hand, then the cue lays in the bed of the hand and you wrap your fingers around. So, you lay in your bed, wrap the covers around, close your eye and dream of maxean

How's line line of reds coming along sidd?
                        An update: I have been playing and practicing a little, as much as I could, lately and here are the results. I took teh damn 15 reds three days ago (without missing and without cannoning a single red) and last night I did another reds line up and took 14- missed the last due to sheer excitement...!

I am so very happy.. I will now move on to line up with pink blue and black as well...

Comment

Terry and others:

I have been working on my grip lately and have got my mistakes corrected. Even though I thought I was holding it loose enough but it wasn't on occasions so now I have just got it more loose. It is now loose in my hand up to the point that upon contact with white I can feel it slip in my hand a couple of millimeters, that is to say, it does not really slip off but feels it does. I am certain now that this is the right pressure.

Rest of my things including the stance and elbow drop are more or less ok although I still have the elbow drop and am trying to control it but only during solo, not concerned about it in matches... I know its a small thing and can be easily controlled. I have noticed Judd does not use shoulder at all even on high power shots ... am learning. But the major thing is wrist turn and tightness in grip that i am controlling these days and getting results.

Now here is the new thing I have experimented and have found it to be perfect. But I hope I can explain my point here, it seems a little complex in terms iwth writing about it. For some unknown reason I picked up the cue one day and realised that if I need to keep it loose I hold my cue in the v of thumb and first finger having the v on top of the butt vertical with the ground right. However, what I did was that I on intention took it a little backwards and now the V is a little towards the back .... or lets say... my wrist is cocked a little forward. I have noticed that it gave my two surprise gifts i.e.

1 the curl of my first finger is now not exerting any pressure on the grip from underneath and upon delivery its easier for me to release the curl and take my forefinger off the butt like a breeze and

2 this makes the back of palm easily touch the butt in the address position something that I have been after for a long time but was fool enough not to understand how to

And there is a difference in me this time... after ivesting so much time in this game and learning from you guys and Terry this time I am not asking a question but am sharing my experiment with the confidence that I am on the right path do correct me if there is anything wrong here please...

Having said that, I have finally completed my grip journey ahhhhhhh thank God I am finally over it- or am I ? hahahahahaha

something off TOPIC: they have installed another AC in our club so its a lot cooler now thankfully. I have been using the snooker glove since last two years in summers but not in winters. Firstly I did not like the idea and could not play with the glove but then I had to cuz of the summers and hten got used to it .... Now can you believe me on this or not guys- I am finding it hard to get rid of it hahhahaha but since two days I am not using it and now I am getting back to normal and feeling ok without it. In snooker I suppose its the FEEL and HABIT that does it all right !!!!
                          Last edited by Sidd; 13 August 2013, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Isnt' that what was told to you in the first place? to hold the cue with the top of the V. Why did you have to go such a big round?

Comment

Well done for doing the 15 Do you think you could do 15 three times in a row without missing? So you'd be potting 45 balls altogether.
                              Also sid were you not gonna keep us all updated with another video?

Keep up the good work..

Originally Posted by Sidd View Post
                              An update: I have been playing and practicing a little, as much as I could, lately and here are the results. I took teh damn 15 reds three days ago (without missing and without cannoning a single red) and last night I did another reds line up and took 14- missed the last due to sheer excitement...!

I am so very happy.. I will now move on to line up with pink blue and black as well...

Comment

Originally Posted by Izzyfcuk View Post
                                Isnt' that what was told to you in the first place? to hold the cue with the top of the V. Why did you have to go such a big round?
                                It isn't only about holding it with the V which I always did. Its about holding it in the V in a way that allows acceleration without resistance. Anyway, my mind was caught up in many things so maybe that is why I had to learn it after a long time with a lot of effort.

Comment

Working...
                                X