Help with the Jigger please . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with the Jigger please . . .

I used to be good with the jigger but lately I am missing everything . . .

Any tips on using it consistently?

I used to play with my elbow down and move my forearm straight along the line (and pot pretty well) but since I was told to keep my forearm horizontal my potting ability with the jigger is terrible.

I am left handed and cannot seem to keep the cue straight but cue across the ball (towards the left). I hold the cue with only two fingers on the top and my thumb on the bottom.

What am I doing wrong?

HELP!

Thanks!
    My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
    I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
    I used to be good with the jigger but lately I am missing everything . . .

Any tips on using it consistently?

I used to play with my elbow down and move my forearm straight along the line (and pot pretty well) but since I was told to keep my forearm horizontal my potting ability with the jigger is terrible.

I am left handed and cannot seem to keep the cue straight but cue across the ball (towards the left). I hold the cue with only two fingers on the top and my thumb on the bottom.

What am I doing wrong?

HELP!

Thanks!
    Firstly, whats a jigger?

Secondly, forearm horizontal or do you mean vertical? As the forearm is vertical to the ground at the address position. Please explain a little more for better understanding before I could comment.
    "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

my guess is mythman69 means a rest ...

Comment

Originally Posted by Sidd View Post
        Firstly, whats a jigger?

Secondly, forearm horizontal or do you mean vertical? As the forearm is vertical to the ground at the address position. Please explain a little more for better understanding before I could comment.
        A jigger is a rest. Don't you call them jiggers too?

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.

Comment

if you do mean a rest mythman, I can't really help as I'm useless with it too ... except to say it's just as important to keep your head and body still as it is when using your cue ...

it's a lot harder to do as it's used so rarely but it seems to help a little, well quite a lot actually

Comment

A jigger is a rest. Don't you call them jiggers too?
            nope ... I even googled it and they couldn't work out what you meant either

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
              if you do mean a rest mythman, I can't really help as I'm useless with it too ... except to say it's just as important to keep your head and body still as it is when using your cue ...

it's a lot harder to do as it's used so rarely but it seems to help a little, well quite a lot actually
              Do you call them jiggers in the UK or is that only a Sydney (maybe pool players now I think about it) type thing?

Comment

I just typed jigger snooker into google and found this:

http://www.billiardsforum.info/billi...ion/jigger.asp

Jigger Definition

A jigger is a type of mechanical bridge used in billiard, pool, and snooker games. Jigger is another term for a goose neck rest. The Jigger is a type of mechanical bridge used more commonly in blackball, British pool, and snooker. This type of bridge is similar to a spider rest in that it's head rests higher due to longer supporting legs.

Jigger Usage

Pass me the jigger would ya?

Billiards - Jigger

The term "jigger" is considered to be a slang term related to billiard accessories.

Comment

I just typed jigger snooker into google and found this:

http://www.billiardsforum.info/billi...ion/jigger.asp

Jigger Definition

A jigger is a type of mechanical bridge used in billiard, pool, and snooker games. Jigger is another term for a goose neck rest. The Jigger is a type of mechanical bridge used more commonly in blackball, British pool, and snooker. This type of bridge is similar to a spider rest in that it's head rests higher due to longer supporting legs.

Jigger Usage

Pass me the jigger would ya?

Billiards - Jigger

The term "jigger" is considered to be a slang term related to billiard accessories.
                  I stand corrected mythman we don't call them goose neck rests either ... we'd call them swan neck rests ...

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                    I stand corrected mythman we don't call them goose neck rests either ... we'd call them swan neck rests ...
                    Geez, this is getting worse . . . I called a swan neck a 'goose neck' for years until some old guy told me it was a swan neck.

I meant a rest when I said jigger. Sound like it is slang for all rests, spiders, the 'long stuff' and swan neck thingos.

Any tips please? Thanks!

Comment

Nobodies answering the original question. Whatever you want to call it, what about some thoughts on technique.

Comment

You describe almost perfect technique - two fingers over, thumb under, forearm parallel to the table. If anything your elbow should be higher rather than lower than horizontal. Soft grip, pause, keep still, cue through the ball - usual stuff. Practice!
                        I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

One of the things I've found when teaching students to use a rest and when they have a hard time with it is they were looking at the cueball at the time of strike and were also holding the cue too tightly.

I've found the best method is to (as much as possible) copy your normal technique...that is...feather normally and then stop the cue in the address position. Raise your eyes to the object ball and lock them on. Slowly draw the cue back as straight as possible, keeping eyes on object ball. Deliver the cue using the FOREARM ONLY. The follow-through is as normal, say about 5-6" and the feathering is also the same as you would normally do.

The grip is relaxed but with the forearm level to the bed of the table the wrist must be a little more flexible as it moves more than the normal shot technique.

Terry
                          Terry Davidson
                          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                            Deliver the cue using the FOREARM ONLY.
                            Terry, wouldn't this pull the cue sideways? Cause the grip hand to have see-saw motion, but sideways? I can only cue straight using the full arm.

Comment

aceman:

I just went down and tried using the rest to see what I actually do and on softer shots I keep my elbow as stable as possible but this also shortens the follow-through but I still stay accurate.

On power shots with the rest I find my elbow will move in a bit (exactly like dropping the elbow on a normal power shot) and I get more follow-through and more screw into the cueball.

In both types of shots I have the grip really flexible along with the wrist joint and I'm able to keep the cue on the same plane.

The other important point when using the rest I forgot to mention is to ensure your chin is above the cue and also as mentioned above it is also vitally important to keep the upper body absolutely still throughout the shot.

Terry
                              Terry Davidson
                              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
                              X