No announcement yet.

Help with the Jigger please . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Terry for your experiment. Surprisingly, I'm very good with the rest, rarely miss with it. I like to extend the arm a little even on softer shots though. Somehow it just feels smoother for me. Like dropping the elbow on normal shots. Can do more with less effort.

Comment

But when you straighten the arm, the hand moves towards the left (I am left handed) and I hit across the cue ball.

Still not sure . . . .

Thanks Terry!
      My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
      I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Jigger: now that is new to me. I never heard of it in snooker normally the rest in our local slang down here in Pakistan is called a 'Stand' for some reason

Rest play has to be learnt with care. There was a time when I used to be great with my rest play however now that I am concentrating more on my grip and elbow etc my rest play, I noticed, has gone terribly down. What Terry mentioned above is absolutely something to consider and in addition go to youtube and search for nic barrow rest play and you will find a good video of nic doing rest play with head cam ... good angle to learn.

Nic did a webinar on rest play and that was pretty good and in that he showcased Terry using the rest as well.

My opinion on the jigger would then be to just play the shot more carefully and more slowly with more softness and a relaxed grip arm. anxiety of not being able to use the rest adds up to playing worse with the rest. While doing solo do some practice with the rest (i do that too) in order to understand where you are going wrong. Another thing would be to take care of this factor that sometimes we play with the rest and forget to let the grip hand open a bit at the end and hence keep it tight. Nic advocates that while in follow through or shot completion the forefinger and thumb should loosen up to keep the cue in a straight line.

Hope that helps with the Jigger.

Time for some naughty confusion Jigger in literal Urdu means the human organ Liver. However, it is also used metaphorically to denote the term 'mate' so people around here call their mates as jiggers (the reason is that jigger has been used in Persian to mean kind-hearted so the term got here from old Persia) ... and the term is also used interchangeably to mean guts, spirit and courage etc and is hence understood according to context in which it is said
        "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

That's your best post so far imo love it, cheers m8!
          Nothing like some culture on the show. So we're all snooker-jiggers?! I know what to say next time I'm in your neck of the woods.

Originally Posted by Sidd View Post
          Time for some naughty confusion Jigger in literal Urdu means the human organ Liver. However, it is also used metaphorically to denote the term 'mate' so people around here call their mates as jiggers (the reason is that jigger has been used in Persian to mean kind-hearted so the term got here from old Persia) ... and the term is also used interchangeably to mean guts, spirit and courage etc and is hence understood according to context in which it is said

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
            That's your best post so far imo love it, cheers m8!
            Nothing like some culture on the show. So we're all snooker-jiggers?! I know what to say next time I'm in your neck of the woods.
            You are right jigger and thanks !

Cheers

Comment

My opinion on the jigger would then be to just play the shot more carefully and more slowly with more softness and a relaxed grip arm. anxiety of not being able to use the rest adds up to playing worse with the rest. While doing solo do some practice with the rest (i do that too) in order to understand where you are going wrong. Another thing would be to take care of this factor that sometimes we play with the rest and forget to let the grip hand open a bit at the end and hence keep it tight. Nic advocates that while in follow through or shot completion the forefinger and thumb should loosen up to keep the cue in a straight line.
              Do I keep my wrist firm or does it twist in order to keep the cue straight? Or is it just the loose fingers?

Thanks!
              My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
              I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

If you Really want to look into rest-play then I would go and study the best rest players, the likes of Murphy, Ronnie, Selby..
                As for the mechanics of rest play you need look no further than some of the top Darts players in the world. They are using the same technical proses when they flick out the dart from their hand, as the top rest players in snooker.
                Do the line up with the jigger. I would like to try and make a hundred break with it, this was inspired by seeing Jimmy do it in a real frame
                Last edited by j6uk; 17 August 2013, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Well I am not so sure about the wrist its just the gripping fingers i.e. the forefinger and the thumb as I said. Do watch the video on youtube I recommended. He even has a video about rest play done with dartfish but that I am afraid is too technical. the head cam video is great really.

Another thing also is this: try to take a few rest shots with your normal grip on the rest shot and then try to take a few same shots with the rest but drop the second finger. I mean only grip the cue just like you would hold a pen. Hold the cue with forefinger and thumb and let the rest four fingers remain curled and not on the cue. Try this out and see if this changes anything. Sometimes the second finger sort of stops the cue delivery and doing this helps such players a lot. If I am not wrong here I think Stephen Hendry used the rest with this pen grip.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                    If you Really want to look into rest-play then I would go and study the best rest players, the likes of Murphy, Ronnie, Selby..
                    As for the mechanics of rest play you need look no further than some of the top Darts players in the world. They are using the same technical proses when they flick out the dart from their hand, as the top rest players in snooker.
                    Do the line up with the jigger. I would like to try and make a hundred break with it, this was inspired by seeing Jimmy do it in a real frame
                    Wow ... and here we are.. try to be like these top pros ... for instance myself... watching a lot of snooker and dreaming on... they are pros because of such dedication. Jimmy doing a 100 with the rest in order to improve his rest play WOW now that is some example of dedication and hard work.

Comment

Jim was notorious for playing cash games with the old jigger..

If your not into hard work, you'll forever be a 30/40 break maker and may even, fluke the odd 60

Wow ...Jimmy doing a 100 with the rest in order to improve his rest play WOW now that is some example of dedication and hard work.

Comment

Working...
                      X