Nic Barrow's latest gadget.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    Yep, I agree you don't want to be robotic, but any aid that can promote the cue coming through straight has to be good I would have thought..
    I don't see how this can make you cue straight, all it does is monitor the cue action, it can't make one cue straight. that comes from getting the basics right.

I think this device is probably useful for a pro player, to analyse there cue action if they feel they are not progressing so they can find out where the problems are. then they can work on that particular issue to correct it and re analyse to compare with previous results.

Alabbadi

Comment

Just watched the videos, (couldn't be bothered before lol) is that our Terry in the grey stripy jumper? He talks with a Canadian accent (the big fella with grey hair )

yes that's Terry

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
        I don't see how this can make you cue straight, all it does is monitor the cue action, it can't make one cue straight. that comes from getting the basics right.
        Alabbadi

As you start your delivery you want to be accelerating smoothly as rapid change between still and speed can be taking cue of the line causing problems. One of the basics is staring to deliver smoothly.

Comment

Originally Posted by sealer View Post
          As you start your delivery you want to be accelerating smoothly as rapid change between still and speed can be taking cue of the line causing problems. One of the basics is staring to deliver smoothly.
          again I agree, the software points out an issue but doesn't correct it. that's up to the individual practicing, and sometimes maybe one can't correct it themselves so they would go to a coach who will try to sort it out.

its advertised as Nic Barrow's Cue Action Recorder:Cue Straighter, Cue Smoother. Better Potting, Better Positional Play, cue smoother as if the software does this.

all it does is point out an issue, not correct it.
          Last edited by alabadi; 19 December 2013, 11:29 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=dcrackers147;746069]
            Yep, I agree you don't want to be robotic, but any aid that can promote the cue coming through straight has to be good I would have thought, although I would prefer an object that gives instant feedback in feel ,so you know where it went wrong, rather than ,play a shot look at it back ,analyse it try and not repeat it, but when on your it would be hard to

You should be able to feel if you cue across a ball and feel when you cue a shot nice anyway. Most people cue across a ball due to tension which makes them 'quit on the shot' the aid I mentioned putting extra emphasis on keeping your bridge hand completely still on delivery promotes stillness and helps you trust your aim. As this is the root cause of 'quitting on the shot the player has delivered the cue before they were ready to which in turn makes them attempted to adjust on delivery...movement = shot goes horribly wrong.
            That's very interesting Dcrackers ,when ever I cue across the ball that's exactly what I feel like ,it's as if half way through I have lost the potting point and it's a big scramble in my brain to adjust and find it again while still coming forward during the stroke, and as you say I kind of know when it's going to happen, it's on shots where I am just not happy with the point I have picked so don't trust it, luckily it's not too often now but it does still happen, had one yesterday, ball six inches from side Cush, between blue and yellow on yellow side of table white around four inches from Cush between black and pink(nearer black)on same side, so it was like a long cut back into yellow pocket, couldn't see where to aim was cueing right across it ,after about five attempts, I stood behind ob found the spot fired three in a row in, because I knew where to hit my daft brain was happy lol. I will check my bridge hand today, it was one of my faults Chris picked out(one of many) so I will see if a bad habit has snuck back in, thanks for that.
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I think this device is probably useful for a pro player, to analyse there cue action if they feel they are not progressing so they can find out where the problems are. then they can work on that particular issue to correct it and re analyse to compare with previous results.

Alabbadi
              No not Nics thing Alabadi, I meant the thing J6 is working on , I'm guessing that's an actual physical thing that makes you cue through straight, just to instil that muscle memory in the arm, at the very least it can't do any harm ,and at best he may be on to something good, will have to wait and see.

Comment

[QUOTE=itsnoteasy;746088]
                Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
                That's very interesting Dcrackers ,when ever I cue across the ball that's exactly what I feel like ,it's as if half way through I have lost the potting point and it's a big scramble in my brain to adjust and find it again while still coming forward during the stroke, and as you say I kind of know when it's going to happen, it's on shots where I am just not happy with the point I have picked so don't trust it, luckily it's not too often now but it does still happen, had one yesterday, ball six inches from side Cush, between blue and yellow on yellow side of table white around four inches from Cush between black and pink(nearer black)on same side, so it was like a long cut back into yellow pocket, couldn't see where to aim was cueing right across it ,after about five attempts, I stood behind ob found the spot fired three in a row in, because I knew where to hit my daft brain was happy lol. I will check my bridge hand today, it was one of my faults Chris picked out(one of many) so I will see if a bad habit has snuck back in, thanks for that.
                Let me know how you get on I am confident it will help you and it's so simple to use as something to 'go to'.

Comment

Seems useful for analysing timing the ball. Can't see any other real use for it.

Would love to see Ronnie O'Sullivan's graph on a typical screw-back.

Comment

I will do ,I'm pretty confident you have Sussed it out for me, because I had my bridge arm to straight the weight was on the outside of my bridge, Chris put a bend in my arm which really changed everything(I know it sounds daft) as it got me over the shot, much more compact , and put even weight on the pads of my hand, it also stopped the pain in my shoulder(it was only slight but it was there) .low and behold I had slight pain in my shoulder yesterday so my bridge arm must have been straight again, which in turn means my bridge is wrong, it also means I'm back on the shot and my hips will be a bit wobbly(all because of that little bend in my arm), I played ok in amongst the balls yesterday, and at three quarter length , but the long potting was a bit all over the place it has to be this, can't wait till I get down the club now lol.

Comment

In reply to all the statements on here.

1. Yes, that is me in the wine/gray rugby shirt and it was in Latvia at the Worlds.
                      2. This device will not make you cue STRAIGHTER except as a result of any changes a player might make after seeing a chart recording of his cue action. This device will give a complete analysis of a player's RHYTHM & TIMING.
                      3. I tried it a few times in Latvia and I could immediately see that although my feathers were fine along with my front pause my backswing was too fast and too short, there was no rear pause and my delivery was too abrupt and acceleration was too quick and I wasn't following through consistently.
                      4. I have bought a Cue Action Recorder for my coaching practice as it will definitely show any player his own rhythm & timing and I can point out where he can improve that (or those) aspects and it will be up to the player to decide if he wants to try and change those thing. For myself I am working on improving my backswing and delivery.
                      5. This device coupled with frame-by-frame video analysis will give a coach (or a player) a complete analysis of the technique plus the recorder may show up why a player is not delivering the cue straight as shown on the video and it provides an area for the player to work on.

I found it very interesting as you can tell as I coughed up the cash right there and then.

Terry
                      Terry Davidson
                      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I will say it before J6 gets a chance, it could help you cue from the elbow, there you go fella, you can relax now lol.
                        Thought it might be you Terry, I'm after a job in J6s online detective agency

Comment

Hi Terry, You have touched upon something I have been working on myself recently which is tempo re delivery of the cue. Now I have always thought and been taught slow back swing and positive follow through. However have been playing around with cue delivery with a gradual acceleration throuigh the ball as per Nick Barrows view. Now I do find this to be good for control but when looking to play a deep screw or screw the ball back on a long pot its definitly not the way to go in my opinion well not on a club table at least. I tweeted shaun Murphy about this and his response was 'slow back swing and then let it go' so I am sticking with controlled back swing slight pause and deliver the cue as normal which to me feels right.

Comment

Alabbadi
                            Yeah of course it'll never show you how to cue straight...... but you'll be able to see if your got an erratic cue action ie too fast an acceleration which in turn could be putting tension in your arm so you close the grip too early and bring the cue offline. And then the coach would come into play to know how to sort the problem out.

It's definitely an interesting bit of kit, like dcrarckers147 it's no good becoming to robotic but on the other hand everything has to be the same on every shot...... Everybody has there own unique cuing signature and it is about finding out what works for you.

I'm looking forward to seeing j6's training aid, sounds interesting muscle memory.
                            Last edited by coomsey76; 19 December 2013, 03:56 PM.
                            Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                            Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Dcrackers, you hit the nail on the head for me ,my bridge was weak, I can't believe that bad habit snuck back in under the radar, I had been playing so well recently I think I got lazy, so today it was two hours of basic technique, got another spanner in the works as well, and it's funny as it relates a bit to this thread, I definitely had some movement from my upper arm, took me a bit to figure it out, it ended up being my grip, to fix it I just cued with my thumb and index finger and basically the rest of my fingers did nothing, this was just to stop me closing it too soon and choking my cue action, the added benefit to this after a bit of practice was I got that lovely feeling back when timing it right when I can use fifty percent less effort but get more reaction, It haunts me this , I forget about it when playing poorly, and start hitting at the ball instead of going through it in a relaxed acceleration , I remember someone saying to play within yourself and that's exactly the feeling I need to have to stay still and keep smooth, thanks again for that help it saved me days of
                              Heartache.

Comment

Terry , once you have seen on the screen that someone's cueing to rushed, (can this not be seen with the naked eye?) how do you stop them doing it, that's the interesting part for me, as it's a fault that creeps into my game.

Comment

Working...
                                X