Nic Barrow's latest gadget.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nic Barrow's latest gadget.....

I've just been reading about Nic's latest little coaching gadget... And its definitely one for the high tech snooker geeks!!

The cue action recorder.

I know everybody has there own opinions on how Nic coaches, some may like it some may not but I thought this was quite interesting and I remember Terry talking about it when he was playing at a recent tournament.

I think this would be a very useful tool for a coach that likes using high tech coaching aids....

Not cheap by any means.....

There's a bit more of info on his website,

http://www.thesnookergym.com/cueacti...62e6c28d6143fc

I was very a little sceptical but I can see how this would be very helpful to sort out a erratic cue action or if you want to correct rear or front pause timings....

Whats your general thoughts people??
    Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
    Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Doesn't add anything more than watching a video of yourself?
    No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Seems to get the ladies interested...... Not a bad ratio 'round the table
      Wish I cued as consistently as this fella!
      :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
        Doesn't add anything more than watching a video of yourself?
        That's what I initially thought.....

But it would give you some pretty accurate measurements on your cuing, that you might not be able to see with the slow mo video.

Over to you Terry, it'll be interesting to hear what you think of it mate cause I think i remember reading you've been using it.
        Last edited by coomsey76; 18 December 2013, 09:08 PM. Reason: Quote added.....

Comment

looks interesting. like to see what the graphics and read out shows.

i have created a cue-action training aid, its still in the finishing stage and is much cruder, but unlike a computer would do, it does physically train the cue arm to move the cue pipe like straight all the way through to shot completion. again, not connected to a computer so not so easy to get a strong patent as yet

Comment

Nice j6, good on you mate.....

When do you reckon your cue aid will finished and ready for use??

Comment

There are similar devices for golf. See http://www.swingbyte.com

I would prefer the software to be for android/ios .

Comment

after the china open 2014
                there is a difference in the training approach:

Originally Posted by coomsey76 View Post
                Nice j6, good on you mate.....

When do you reckon your cue aid will finished and ready for use??
                Last edited by j6uk; 18 December 2013, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                  looks interesting. like to see what the graphics and read out shows.

i have created a cue-action training aid, its still in the finishing stage and is much cruder, but unlike a computer would do, it does physically train the cue arm to move the cue pipe like straight all the way through to shot completion. again, not connected to a computer so not so easy to get a strong patent as yet
                  Very interesting, can't wait, muscle memory is a great help and anything that can help that must be good.
                  This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                  https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Dangerous to get too technical imo... You need a solid technique yes but so many good players have tried to turn into robots and it's done them in. The main thing I concentrate on now if i'm struggling is keeping the bridge hand perfectly still on delivery...This seems to naturally promote stillness in the head and body which in my opinion is the most important part.

Comment

i recognize how honed barrow's piston like cue action is, and training that motion had little or nothing to do with computers. saying that i'd still be interested in giving the computer thing a go though..
                      Last edited by j6uk; 19 December 2013, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
                        Dangerous to get too technical imo... You need a solid technique yes but so many good players have tried to turn into robots and it's done them in. The main thing I concentrate on now if i'm struggling is keeping the bridge hand perfectly still on delivery...This seems to naturally promote stillness in the head and body which in my opinion is the most important part.
                        Agree. much too technical. No way a human being will be able to implemnt it during a shot. For me, good coaching aid or tip should be simple. Keep it simple and natural.
                        Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

Yep, I agree you don't want to be robotic, but any aid that can promote the cue coming through straight has to be good I would have thought, although I would prefer an object that gives instant feedback in feel ,so you know where it went wrong, rather than ,play a shot look at it back ,analyse it try and not repeat it, but when on your it would be hard to fix it.

Comment

Just watched the videos, (couldn't be bothered before lol) is that our Terry in the grey stripy jumper? He talks with a Canadian accent (the big fella with grey hair )

Comment

[QUOTE=itsnoteasy;746067]Yep, I agree you don't want to be robotic, but any aid that can promote the cue coming through straight has to be good I would have thought, although I would prefer an object that gives instant feedback in feel ,so you know where it went wrong, rather than ,play a shot look at it back ,analyse it try and not repeat it, but when on your it would be hard to

You should be able to feel if you cue across a ball and feel when you cue a shot nice anyway. Most people cue across a ball due to tension which makes them 'quit on the shot' the aid I mentioned putting extra emphasis on keeping your bridge hand completely still on delivery promotes stillness and helps you trust your aim. As this is the root cause of 'quitting on the shot the player has delivered the cue before they were ready to which in turn makes them attempted to adjust on delivery...movement = shot goes horribly wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X