Technique critque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technique critque

I finally got round to recording myself playing a few shots. Reading many of the recent threads, and a video playing 15 reds between black and blue spot seems to come up frequently, so thats what I've done. Some not so good shots included, as well as a shocking yellow.

I've been working hard on my technique over the last few months, but I find myself a little inconsistent. If there is something I'm dramatically doing wrong please do share. All comments welcome, but go easy on me I would say though I'm not quite as fluent as this when playing frames, I take a little more time down on the shot.

Thanks, Adam

well done for sticking this up. my first thought would be, what do you think, what your critique?

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
      well done for sticking this up. my first thought would be, what do you think, what your critique?
      Thanks, well my first thoughts when watching it back were I didn't think I played this quick. 2nd I think my back swing is a little fast at times and the rear pause is only slight if at all on the 'easy shots'

Comment

You've got a very common problem: you love to play screw shots.
        WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
        Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
        --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

yeah thats fair what you say.. you can afford to breath a bit between shots. but not getting to technical because there's a lot you've already got going.
          you don't look like you play much competitively. do you play in a league? do you play better play players better than yourself? what's the plan, any goals?

Comment

know what you mean but not that much of a problem, we've all done that to be fair ay
            Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
            Last edited by j6uk; 22 December 2013, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
              I do play a lot of screw shots, but I don't have a problem playing top or roll throughs. Tbh a couple of times I just couldn't be bothered to walk the other side of the table.

yeah thats fair what you say.. you can afford to breath a bit between shots. but not getting to technical because there's a lot you've already got going.
              you don't look like you play much competitively. do you play in a league? do you play better play players better than yourself? what's the plan, any goals?
              I do play in a league, but it's only a single frame. I don't get much time to solo practice, due to uni workload, only about half an hour or so before the league game or during the little holiday I get. I try to play a friend of mine at uni who's pretty good (a lot better than me, he's made a max), about once a week. Steal the odd frame off him.
              Goal, just to be as good as I can, don't want to put a timescale on it, but I would like to beat my high break and eventually make a century in a match to win a frame in one visit. Currently my high break came in a frame, which I lost as my mate made a 73 clearance.

Comment

know what you mean but not that much of a problem, we've all done that to be fair ay
                I've certainly been there
                WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

You look a decent player to me, i must admit i love to play screw shots too, its the shot i feel most comfortable playing without doubt.
                  After 15 reds and 15 blacks i did this http://youtu.be/DupuczMS2o4

Comment

what sticks out for me is your mate who your picking out balls for and trying to nick the odd frame off. that will be crucial to your development, and hunger to play and improve. don't know how long you'll be studying with him for but i'd stick to him like glue while you can.
                    i think you know this already, because your mate probably won't be doing these things:
                    head movement,
                    everything being just a little too quick and rushed like you trying to hard,
                    and maybe can't be arsed to play a run-through or the right shot

i like what i see, you got potential fella.

Comment

I think your technique is very good Adam -

You time it beautifully - Hard to asses on such an easy red line up thing as you can just pot balls willy nilly - Obviously you rush into the shot a bit because this is an easy exercise and on ocassion you come at some shots side on and go from one shot to another too quick and you do not give yourself time to asses your options and this makes you look a bit amateurish and occasionally you loose the white a bit as a result - and because you are so quick you tend to play the same shot in your head rather than the right shot a for easier position.

I would say you def frighten most league players like this and will no doubt make a few tons but you need to pace yourself better and get a bit more of a relaxed vibe on around the table - give yourself time to breath on occasion and asses the table a few shots in advance.

I would work on shot selection and try a few routines to set yourself some targets - and work on a consistent pre shot routine - too help you pace yourself the same in practice as in a match - I can see a few tons from you next year easy - Would not change anything else about your rhythm on the shot really - quite nice fluid technique and I liked your style actually.

Happy Christmas
                      Last edited by Byrom; 22 December 2013, 09:20 PM.

Comment

I really really liked that Rogi, set up is nice, grip looked great ,opened and closed lovely, got through the cue ball, very positive through the ball, it all looked natural,nice one fella. I reckon you should be doing this in order from black spot up now, you are certainly good enough.
                        What was that filmed on it's very good.
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

what sticks out for me is your mate who your picking out balls for and trying to nick the odd frame off. that will be crucial to your development, and hunger to play and improve. don't know how long you'll be studying with him for but i'd stick to him like glue while you can.
                          i think you know this already, because your mate probably won't be doing these things:
                          head movement,
                          everything being just a little too quick and rushed like you trying to hard,
                          and maybe can't be arsed to play a run-through or the right shot

i like what i see, you got potential fella.
                          Thanks for this. If I could I'd play everyday. The head movement, how much of a problem do I have as it wasn't something that I noticed until you've just mentioned. This is technically my last year at uni but it depends on whether I can be bothered to get a proper job or do a phd. I think biggest improvement from playing my mate is my safety and match play as I know he will punish me if it's not good enough

I agree pace is something I need to work on. Sometimes I don't trust the run through especially on away tables as you don't know if there's a roll etc AT&T hat pace. I've been playing for just over 2 years now and am content with my improvement but I do want to get better that's for sure

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                            I think your technique is very good Adam -

You time it beautifully - Hard to asses on such an easy red line up thing as you can just pot balls willy nilly - Obviously you rush into the shot a bit because this is an easy exercise and on ocassion you come at some shots side on and go from one shot to another too quick and you do not give yourself time to asses your options and this makes you look a bit amateurish and occasionally you loose the white a bit as a result - and because you are so quick you tend to play the same shot in your head rather than the right shot a for easier position.

I would say you def frighten most league players like this and will no doubt make a few tons but you need to pace yourself better and get a bit more of a relaxed vibe on around the table - give yourself time to breath on occasion and asses the table a few shots in advance.

I would work on shot selection and try a few routines to set yourself some targets - and work on a consistent pre shot routine - too help you pace yourself the same in practice as in a match - I can see a few tons from you next year easy - Would not change anything else about your rhythm on the shot really - quite nice fluid technique and I liked your style actually.

Happy Christmas
                            I think the rushing is from it being fairly easy but I do pace myself a little better in a match I do think my shot selection is in need of serious improvement. I played on the small table with red and yellow balls before snooker and as long as you can see it it's pots lol

Any routine suggestions. I tend to play either the line up with 2 red below or the Christmas tree formation, seasonal I know

Cheers bud

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                              I really really liked that Rogi, set up is nice, grip looked great ,opened and closed lovely, got through the cue ball, very positive through the ball, it all looked natural,nice one fella. I reckon you should be doing this in order from black spot up now, you are certainly good enough.
                              What was that filmed on it's very good.
                              Cheers bud, I did try it in order today but got low on the 9 red and knocked the one next to it on the Cush

Filmed on my iPhone on top of the light meter

Comment

Working...
                              X