Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cue rotation - good or bad?

Hi!
    I'm playing for a month (so a complete newbie) and I'm learning the fundametals.
    I noticed that my hand opens slightly on the backswing and the cue starts to rotate a bit during that motion. when I deliver the cue it rotates back. The cue action stays straight during that process.
    I also had a closer look on professional players and noticed that some players do it and others don't.

Is the rotation normal or should I change anything?

The cue shouldn't be rotating at all. It should only glide back and forth in a straight line.

Are you twisting your wrist as you cue?

Also. Which pro have you noticed that rotates his cue?

Comment

not sure but it seems ronnie turns his cue slightly anti clockwise.

Comment

its a real pain to deal with better without, domonic dale twists

Comment

I think tabularza is referring to the loose grip fingers opening up on the drawback.
          Yep many do and many dont, personal preference, the benefit is that this method usually ensures the cue stays flat in the draw back and delivery and not to seesaw.
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Here is Shaun Murphy making his 147. Notice how the hand opens up as he draws the cue back. The cue does not rotate at all.

Comment

Jimmy used to spin his cue intentionally, not when he played the shot, it was just before he got his chin down, i wonder if he still does it?
              After 15 reds and 15 blacks i did this http://youtu.be/DupuczMS2o4

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                I think tabularza is referring to the loose grip fingers opening up on the drawback.
                Yep many do and many dont, personal preference, the benefit is that this method usually ensures the cue stays flat in the draw back and delivery and not to seesaw.
                That is exactly what I noticed. The cue always stays in a straight line (to the cloth) that way, which feels more comfortable - at least to me.
                So it seems it's nothing to be worried about?

@cyber: No, my wrist doesn't twist. It happens automatically on the backswing during the fingers opening up. It's the way jano mentioned it. On the backswing it rotates counter clockwise a bit.
                I've seen Ronnie done it and also John Higgins from looking at the grain of the shaft.

In addition I need to say that it only happens on longer backswings.

Comment

Originally Posted by tabularaza View Post
                  That is exactly what I noticed. The cue always stays in a straight line (to the cloth) that way, which feels more comfortable - at least to me.
                  So it seems it's nothing to be worried about?

@cyber: No, my wrist doesn't twist. It happens automatically on the backswing during the fingers opening up. It's the way jano mentioned it. On the backswing it rotates counter clockwise a bit.
                  I've seen Ronnie done it and also John Higgins from looking at the grain of the shaft.

In addition I need to say that it only happens on longer backswings.
                  I think it must something to do with your grip. If you form the classic "O" grip with the first finger wrapped gently around the cue and thumb pointing down such that there is no gaps in the "O" and the cue then providing your wrist doesn't bend in or out, you should find that as you open up the rest of your other 3 fingers on a long backswing, the cue will not rotate.

What kind of grip do you have? Is it very loose?

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
                    I think it must something to do with your grip. If you form the classic "O" grip with the first finger wrapped gently around the cue and thumb pointing down such that there is no gaps in the "O" and the cue then providing your wrist doesn't bend in or out, you should find that as you open up the rest of your other 3 fingers on a long backswing, the cue will not rotate.

What kind of grip do you have? Is it very loose?
                    Well you've got a point there. My grip is pretty loose to avoid any tension. I just grepped my cue to see what exactly happens. It seems that the thumb just makes contact with the cue but is not hindering the rotation. I also tested holding the cue between thumb and index finger. The grip is tighter and there is no rotation then.

If you go to 00:47 you'll see a slight rotation. That's what I'm trying to describe.

I'll be training tomorrow and I will try both ways and the effects.

Comment

I think you let your cue rest too much on your little finger. Try and pull the cue into the palm of your hand with your middle and ring finger only and let the other 2 just be in contact with the cue without putting any pressure on it.

Comment

I don't see any rotation On the video Tab.
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

you may be rotating the cue as it is resting towards the fingers. thus when u open the grip, the cue rotates. try to use the first 2 fingers to grip the cue instead and have the cue butt move higher away from the fingers up towards the palm.

Comment

You just cannot have the cue rotate as the only way you can do it at all is to have the wrist joint move. If the wrist joint moves at all the butt of the cue will go off-line. Now sometimes a player has the coordination to get the cue back to the correct line by having the wrist correct itself however this is just one more moving part the player has to coordinate perfectly.

I think you are mistaking what you are seeing with the pros and I couldn't detect any turning of the chevrons in the video of Higgins you posted and I think you will find there is not much twisting of the cue going on with any of the pros but any that do that are bringing the cue back onto the proper line of aim.

Keep your backswing and delivery as simple as you can with the least number of moving parts so you do not have to coordinate anything at all except the elbow joint and the fingers.

One way to control any twisting is to have the thumb pointed straight down to the floor in the vertical position and to keep it in that position throughout the complete backswing and delivery until after the cueball has been struck.

Terry
                            Terry Davidson
                            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                              You just cannot have the cue rotate as the only way you can do it at all is to have the wrist joint move.

Terry
                              Actually Tel if you hold the cue in the crook of your fingers only without closing the thumb, the cue will twist as the fingers open and close without the wrist moving at all. Maybe this is what is happening.
                              BTW have you seen those Tri Cues on John Parrotts website ? They have a triangular shaft to prevent the cue rotating during the stroke. Can't see them catching on myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X