Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Stun run Thru ever actually 100% necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Stun run Thru ever actually 100% necessary?

Personally, for straight ish shots, i always prefer to roll the ball in with touch of topspin when the cue ball is required to travel say, just up to a foot or so straight through. I understand that some players prefer to punch the ball in with the stun run thru type shot, and i understand the argument that certain playing conditions may not support slow roll shots. But, assuming perfect playing conditions, is the stun run thru shot ever 100% necessary for straight ish shots? As far as i can see, the stun shot is only really needed for holding he white or widening the angle off the object ball. I may be way off the mark here but it'd be interesting to hear some thoughts, in my opinion the stun run thru is a preference rather than a necessity!

I use it when I can absolutely not afford a kick.

Comment

Also, when you're under a bit of pressure in a match or clearing up for a ton... I find there's less chance of making a technical error when playing the stun run opposed to dropping in a ball at a dedicated smooth pace.

Comment

can completely see that, but again assuming no kicks and perfect playing conditions?

Comment

i'm probably rare in that the more pressure i'm under, the softer i like to hit the ball, the harder i hit the ball the worse i tend to cue, most probably why i avoid the stun run thru!

Comment

To be honest, when I'm playing in the balls/making breaks, my shot selection is dictated by what will allow me to play the shot at a similar pace to the majority of shots I play.

For example:

Let's say I'm on a break of about 30/40 and I've been stunning balls in to get that point, I usually have the option when the path clears to drop reds in for the black, or stun up for pink into corners or middles...
            I would play for the pinks coz I've already got my action oiled and set to a certain tempo... Ensures you pot on autopilot and can just focus on the white and path for the clearance...

Not sure any of the above makes sense... I know what I am trying to say.

When you think about it... the term stun and stun run is a façade anyway... They're each just a varying degree of follow and screw shots.

Comment

There may be a cause to use it to avoid any drift either by the nap or just a slight roll on the table, stun run allows that bit more pace and can avoid the drift.
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

It's not a shot that I ever learned to play so I don't use it. I roll the balls in with varying degrees of drag.

Comment

if you have to send the ob 8ft and the white only needs to go a few inch what choice do you have?

Comment

if you have to send the ob 8ft and the white only needs to go a few inch what choice do you have?
                    I'd just play a 20 foot deep screw with side

Comment

I find when playing the Blue to go down for black that is the better shot because it takes away the excess siding wich I feel make me more apt to miss, I beleive that hitting the stun replaces the siding needed.!!!
                      I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Draw back is the need to hit much harder and lots of practice to get weight right.
                        I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                          To be honest, when I'm playing in the balls/making breaks, my shot selection is dictated by what will allow me to play the shot at a similar pace to the majority of shots I play.

For example:

Let's say I'm on a break of about 30/40 and I've been stunning balls in to get that point, I usually have the option when the path clears to drop reds in for the black, or stun up for pink into corners or middles...
                          I would play for the pinks coz I've already got my action oiled and set to a certain tempo... Ensures you pot on autopilot and can just focus on the white and path for the clearance...

Not sure any of the above makes sense... I know what I am trying to say.

When you think about it... the term stun and stun run is a façade anyway... They're each just a varying degree of follow and screw shots.
                          I totally agree with this post = bang on Stun ing post

Comment

Might just add that I do try to keep to same tempo too whenever possible although you can change up and play a slow roll or a different shot - it possibly does help to keep in the same tempo I find too.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                              I'd just play a 20 foot deep screw with side
                              Ah! The obvious shot Pottr lol, the annoying thing is you can do it.
                              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
                              X