Could i be a snooker coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
    me too, but i don't think terrys is an experienced coach and hes never said he was, only in his effort here on tsf. nics got the experience and from what i can see tels working for him
    I have been coaching for around 30yrs but with a big break of 10 years in the middle after I left Leicester. Problem is it's true I don't get a lot of business here in Canada, especially as I'm around 2hrs away from Toronto where most of the players are. My students mostly are older and need coaching on technique more than anything else.

I get students who cannot screw a ball more than 2" from a foot away and others who find it difficult to pot a black off the spot unless it's straight in. Sometimes it gets very depressing seeing the same basic problems over and over again, even from students who have already had a lesson and left the first lesson able to screw a ball and then come back and have to re-learn that lesson all over again.

Much like the repeated questions we see on here all the time

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
      I have been coaching for around 30yrs but with a big break of 10 years in the middle after I left Leicester. Problem is it's true I don't get a lot of business here in Canada, especially as I'm around 2hrs away from Toronto where most of the players are. My students mostly are older and need coaching on technique more than anything else.

I get students who cannot screw a ball more than 2" from a foot away and others who find it difficult to pot a black off the spot unless it's straight in. Sometimes it gets very depressing seeing the same basic problems over and over again, even from students who have already had a lesson and left the first lesson able to screw a ball and then come back and have to re-learn that lesson all over again.

Terry
      Well for me who ever is a coach or thinking of becoming a coach I envy those who do it as I wouldn't have the patience especially those who are beginners

Comment

Beginners are easy...

It's the ones who are set in ways that are wrong you have a problem with.

Comment

Sometimes it gets very depressing seeing the same basic problems over and over again, even from students who have already had a lesson and left the first lesson able to screw a ball and then come back and have to re-learn that lesson all over again.

Terry
          Hear, hear Terry, I've spent a lot of time with certain people only to see them again in two weeks time and they haven't practised at all and its square one time again.
          Same as when I was teaching my nephew to play guitar, he never practised and expected to be able to do all his learning in the actual lessons, so it was A minor to E minor once again for another bloody hour of badly fingered power chords

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
            You thought about coaching as your post is spot on what should be done IMO
            Absolutely nowhere near good enough thanks though.
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Terry
              Fair points Terry, It must be soul destroying doing the same thing over and over again with the same student, when you know there has been zero effort put in by them.

Comment

Itsnoteasy I am willing to bet there are a number of current coaches who you would tonk into tomorrow on the table- I also bet you have lost count of the number of centuries in practice and on the line up by now. I also think you speak a lot of sense when it comes to snooker - I would definitely listen to your advice.

I particularly like your modesty - refreshing in a world full of these name droppers

I wonder if the word tonk translates well
                Last edited by Byrom; 22 December 2014, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                  Itsnoteasy I am willing to bet there are a number of current coaches who you would tonk into tomorrow on the table- I also bet you have lost count of the number of centuries in practice and on the line up by now. I also think you speak a lot of sense when it comes to snooker - I would definitely listen to your advice.

I particularly like your modesty - refreshing in a world full of these name droppers

I wonder if the word tonk translates well
                  Have you been drinking lol.

Comment

Nope I think you would make a great coach and are probably at a better standard than many coaches out there already without a doubt.

You tell me - how many times have you got to the colours on the line up? How many other tons have you made on your own - roughly?

See - I think you are better than you give yourself credit for - I think you know a lot about the game - you speak a lot of sense - you must know how much you have improved over the year - and I don't think I have ever dis agreed with anything you have said about snooker on here. What I would say is that you do lack a bit of belief in your own ability and put yourself down too much. Most good players have an inner belief many can miss construe for arrogance - you need a bit more eye of that tiger my man - talk yourself up and stop doing yourself down - believing in yourself is important - know that you can do it and you will.

If you where coaching someone you would tell them that no doubt - amazing how many people don't listen to their own advice don't you think?

Comment

It's very nice of you to say that Byrom but you are way off, I honestly can't remember how many times I have got to the colours in the line up, but that's just it, there will not be a coach out there that couldn't easily complete it, three or four times round, and the fact is when playing well I am at best ok, but when playing poorly I can't sort my own game out how the hell could I fix someone else's, that's enough on this subject if you don't mind, cheers.

Comment

Sometimes a singer is the only one in the room that can't hear his own voice properly.

Comment

I hear what Byrom is saying ... I think you'd make a great coach too itsnoteasy ...

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                            I hear what Byrom is saying ... I think you'd make a great coach too itsnoteasy ...
                            Don't you start !!

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                              Don't you start !!
                              coach, coach, coach, coach ... coach ...
                              Last edited by DandyA; 23 December 2014, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                                It's very nice of you to say that Byrom but you are way off, I honestly can't remember how many times I have got to the colours in the line up, but that's just it, there will not be a coach out there that couldn't easily complete it, three or four times round, and the fact is when playing well I am at best ok, but when playing poorly I can't sort my own game out how the hell could I fix someone else's, that's enough on this subject if you don't mind, cheers.

That has to be a joke right about coaches and line ups, I know a qualified coach who struggles to make a twenty break
                                It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Working...
                                X