Could i be a snooker coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Defiantly if that's his passion then go for it but for me and this is my own personal opinion that a snooker coach should be a lot better player then an average club player. What people need to ask themselves is would you go out of your way to be coached by a coach that can't break over an 80, or would you pay that little bit extra and be coached by someone who's been there and done it so to speak, imo i think the OP should at least give it couple of more years so he can improve as a player himself which will then in turn pay dividends when he does start coaching for real.
    Leo - Pessimists seldom prosper or to put it another way - try not to pee on another man's bonfire
    Last edited by Byrom; 19 December 2014, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
      Leo - Pessimists seldom prosper or to put it another way - try not to pee on another man's bonfire
      I'm only giving him my thoughts as I don't want the OP to fall straight on his face when better more advanced players turn up for coaching.

Comment

There are different levels of coaches the same way there are different levels of teachers - he has a base where he wants to start from and a level he would be confident at coaching at - you never stop learning at the game - why not just do it and see look on the world snooker website or speak to Nik Barrow or possibly someone else who does affiliations or who have trod the same path - do a bit of research ask coach Gavin on here, Del Hill or someone for advice -

Leo - You can try and fail of course you can but one thing is certain you always will fail - if you fail to try.

Comment

I can drive a car, I can drive a HGV.

I would not be able to take a course for a day or two and suddenly pass on my knowledge to anyone wishing to try their hand at F1.

I applaud your enthusiasm and it's good that you care enough about cue sports to even consider such a thing. But, there's so much about snooker that simply does not translate from the page or from word of mouth. You have to earn the experience.

All you will do as a coach is regurgitate the ideas you have been taught yourself as you have no decent level experience to draw upon. I don't mean to be harsh, but I would hate for you to stake the best part of a grand on some coaching badges just because people were too polite to tell it to you straight.

P.S Sir Alex Ferguson scored 25 goals for Rangers. How anyone could say he wasn't a decent footballer is beyond me? Not that football analogy applies in this instance. Coaching for team sports is very different.

Comment

If you want the knowledge don't go to the WPBSA short course, spend the money and get certified by Nic Barrow as a Master Coach. It will take you 5-6 days in Milton Keynes.

As has been mentioned, Del Hill is another good option and Terry Griffiths Matchroom if he's still doing it now that Wayne is in Hong Kong.

Terry
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
              Why did jose become who he is today? Because it was what he had around him, he worked beside some of the best coaches in the world, and this bought him experience and the same for boas, as for Alex ferguson didn't he not score over 20 goals for rangers, now that's not an easy task. I'm not not knocking the OP and good luck to him but I just think it's to soon for him to coach
              A football coach/manager doesn't teach the skills of the game, Mourinho couldn't take Ronnie to one side and teach him how to swerve a free kick around a defensive wall, he could teach him how to dive to gain that free kick though as all Chelsea's players seem very adapt at that part of the game

A football coach/manager takes players who already have the skills he needs and moulds them into a team utilising tactics if neccessary.

A snooker coach is supposed to be able to teach someone who has never picked up a cue before how to play the game, a snooker coach should be able to study a decent player and pick up any faults he believes he has.

A snooker coach cannot teach the mental aspects of concentration and bottle needed to play at the top level; he can tell a player to concentrate and keep cool under pressure and trust in ones ability but really that is down to the individual or that individual can go to a sports psychologist or psychiatrist like Steve Peters.

If you can knock in a 50 break then you should be able to knock in another 50 to make it a hundred and then you have the ability to be a snooker coach but only if you are able to break down the motor skills needed and get those skills across to another person.

Comment

A football coach/manager doesn't teach the skills of the game, Mourinho couldn't take Ronnie to one side and teach him how to swerve a free kick around a defensive wall, he could teach him how to dive to gain that free kick though as all Chelsea's players seem very adapt at that part of the game

A football coach/manager takes players who already have the skills he needs and moulds them into a team utilising tactics if neccessary.
                Exactly...

Comment

OP just go for it do not listen to people who tell you you cannot because this and that. That is just madness how people try to come out with those silly comparisons about football or driving. I can only see I think that can fail you. Self belief - you do need to believe it will work out, otherwise slim chance.

Cheers

Comment

Sealer, if you want to do it, go for it buddy... I'm sorry you felt my advice and comparison is silly, but it is based on playing for almost 20 years and being a genuinely keen student of all aspects of the game including coaching. Encouragement works both ways and I feel I would be remiss if I did not encourage against this.

At the end of the day, the only person you ever have to prove anything to is yourself.

If you believe strongly enough, you may be able to prove me wrong... I for one hope you do.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                      Sealer, if you want to do it, go for it buddy... I'm sorry you felt my advice and comparison is silly, but it is based on playing for almost 20 years and being a genuinely keen student of all aspects of the game including coaching. Encouragement works both ways and I feel I would be remiss if I did not encourage against this.

At the end of the day, the only person you ever have to prove anything to is yourself.

If you believe strongly enough, you may be able to prove me wrong... I for one hope you do.
                      Think you've got the wrong poster

Comment

Literally, just spotted the same. Still, my post is relevant.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                          Literally, just spotted the same. Still, my post is relevant.
                          It might take a while to build up to coaching for a living, but if he wants to do it and has the confidence (as already pointed out) then follow your dream.

Learn from your mistakes, improve yourself as you go and share with others your passion for the great game of snooker.

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                          I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Here's the way I look at it. I am from Nuneaton. I play in the two local leagues (Nuneaton and Hinckley).

I have won every competition each league has to offer and am very well known. I am fairly articulate and witty. I'm reliable and get on with most people.

I have my own snooker table, run my own business so I can tailor my hours around my life.

If I were to become a snooker coach... I don't see how I would be able to make ends meet. There is simply not the demand for snooker coaching in the UK and without a marquee name from being a top professional before, or engrossed in a governing body coaching program how could you attract enough business?

That's me. 30 years old, internet savvy and for an amateur, I'd go as far as to say I'm a pretty heavy scorer in snooker terms. I like to think I know my stuff.

How would someone of a similar age, with no standing in the game at all, presumably without their own facility to entertain students, with an admitted remedial understanding in the game, even presume to be able to make a living as a snooker coach?

It's a near impossibility.

But... near impossible is not impossible.

Comment

yes you can set yourself up as a coach but you won't be making a living out of it

there are different levels of coaching and if you are just coaching the beginners and kids on the basics of how to play and how to start making breaks and playing safe you could, but you're not at a level to teach other 50 breakers who could beat you off levels anyway

for some people coaching is a hobby and worth paying the grand to get the WS or whatever badges and tell people they are an official coach, doesn't mean they will be good at it or make a living out of it, they just like doing it and have the time to do it

a coach is also a salesman, he is selling you a service and without being too picky, would you buy services off of someone who has poor spelling/grammar - it's like the vistaprint advert says - tacky card means tacky service, professional looking card means they're getting a good service - okay, bull its just an ad, but if your spelling and wording isn't professional, what will people think?

fine to quick type on a forum but when you're advertising and selling a service you need to be able to clearly and professionally explain what it is, sell it and promote it and be confident enough to answer all questions from all people whether its about the game or what you're doing so you can build up recommendations, etc

I've known very good ton-plus players who couldn't coach a jot and good coaches who could not play - if you have the eye and brain to advise someone their stance is wrong or how to alter it or their timing or play different shots and can talk to them about the mental side, you can coach

I was asked twice but did not have the patience for it, it is also soul-destroying if they either cannot do it or worse do not want to, which happens

you might just want to have a go privately for a mate or two or a friends kids and see how you go, you might want to drop it sharpish too before spending money on it

and +1 the above post - think about the costs and work out who would be paying this on a regular basis, look at other coaches charges, explain how you think you could find 2 people a day to pay you £20 for an hour, why and what you would do in one hour (its not long enough) and then your gross is 200 per week, much less when you count your expenses
                              Last edited by sberry; 19 December 2014, 02:36 PM.

Comment

It seems your market is beginner players, in the main I would suggest they are just social snooker players ( too tight to buy a round) and would laugh if you suggested coaching to them. The more serious player would probably be looking for some one with more gravitas, there are a few pro/ex pro snooker players coaches in your area, that would probably charge £30/25 per hour.

I.e. the S.W.S.A. with decent facilities.

Wish you luck will not be easy, but what is in life?

Comment

Working...
                                X