Could i be a snooker coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could i be a snooker coach?

Hi, does anybody know what standard you need to be to give snooker lessons, i have just had my own snooker room built and its something ive been thinking of, im a decent player and knock in regular 50 - 60 breaks with my highest being 80, (hoping to improve this with my own table)
    i don't want to be the next Terry Griffiths...i would just love to give a few lessons a week to beginners, ive always watched peoples cue action, stance, bridge hand etc, and always fiddling with and trying to improve my own,
    Ive just been reading about the 2 day coarse with Steve Davis and Terry Grifiths but £900 seems a lot to splash out at first,
    Any thoughts please would be a help...cheers Mark

No disrespect to the coaches you mentioned but Del Hill may be a better choice... Imo one of the best coaches out there...
    Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

I would say you are good enough to be a coach, but are you a good coach? It's not about being really good, it's about getting your point across to your student in a way they can understand and put into practice. Someone who turns up and knocks in back to back 147s in front of their student and just say's "that's the way to do it" isn't a good coach.

Comment

What will your answer be to your students when they say how come you've got a very average break and never hit a century, when you'll be teaching them break building etc

Comment

yes you could set yourself up as a coach and pass on your knowledge.. i see you have a set of pool balls as your avatar, are you a pool player?

Comment

If its something you have a passion for go for it -

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
              Defiantly if that's his passion then go for it but for me and this is my own personal opinion that a snooker coach should be a lot better player then an average club player. What people need to ask themselves is would you go out of your way to be coached by a coach that can't break over an 80, or would you pay that little bit extra and be coached by someone who's been there and done it so to speak, imo i think the OP should at least give it couple of more years so he can improve as a player himself which will then in turn pay dividends when he does start coaching for real.

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                Defiantly if that's his passion then go for it but for me and this is my own personal opinion that a snooker coach should be a lot better player then an average club player. What people need to ask themselves is would you go out of your way to be coached by a coach that can't break over an 80, or would you pay that little bit extra and be coached by someone who's been there and done it so to speak, imo i think the OP should at least give it couple of more years so he can improve as a player himself which will then in turn pay dividends when he does start coaching for real.
                I think that is a very short sighted way of looking at things to be honest. Look at the likes of Jose Mourinho, Villas Boas, Sean Foley, David Leadbetter to name a few. They are 4 world class coaches in their own sport who have either never actually played the sport they coach, or if they did it was to a very average standard. Albeit, different sports to snooker, however if a coach knows the sport inside out, if he has a real passion, if he can communicate well then why should his ability come into question?

Do you think Tiger Woods asked Sean Foley to hit 10 perfect drives before he took him on as his coach? Don't think so.

Comment

Anyone know what standard the legendary Frank Callan played at?

Comment

Sir Alex Ferguson wasn't a great player but didn't do too badly as a manager/coach.

Edit, didn't see the earlier post saying the same thing, it's my age.
                    #jeSuisByrom

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                      Thanks for the reply's, i know i have a lot to learn but also know there is a lot i could pass on which would be beneficial to beginners,
                      As for my highest break...i know its nothing to wright home about but im sure i will get my first century within a year from now... fingers crossed!
                      when i practice lineups i usually score well over a 100 or totally clear them but i know breaks in matches take a bit more bottle,
                      does anyone know what qualifications i would need to start giving lessons? as well as the C R B check,
                      Yes j6uk, i also play pool in the local league,

Comment

I would add, don't narrow yourself down to only one "school" of thought, investigate the options and the differing coaches out there and make your own decision on what you think is best for the sudent you have at that time.
                        One school is not necessarily "better" than an other
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by crawfty1985 View Post
                          I think that is a very short sighted way of looking at things to be honest. Look at the likes of Jose Mourinho, Villas Boas, Sean Foley, David Leadbetter to name a few. They are 4 world class coaches in their own sport who have either never actually played the sport they coach, or if they did it was to a very average standard. Albeit, different sports to snooker, however if a coach knows the sport inside out, if he has a real passion, if he can communicate well then why should his ability come into question?

Do you think Tiger Woods asked Sean Foley to hit 10 perfect drives before he took him on as his coach? Don't think so.
                          Why did jose become who he is today? Because it was what he had around him, he worked beside some of the best coaches in the world, and this bought him experience and the same for boas, as for Alex ferguson didn't he not score over 20 goals for rangers, now that's not an easy task. I'm not not knocking the OP and good luck to him but I just think it's to soon for him to coach

Comment

If you want to start coaching, give it a go and see what happens.

For a beginner, some good basic advice is always welcome. You don't need to be hitting 147s to teach the basics to a beginner.

For students of a higher ability, they would need a better coach to help them with more technical aspects of the game and dealing with the pressures of high level tournaments for example.

Good luck and hopefully it all goes well.

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                            I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by shafter View Post
                              Thanks for the reply's, i know i have a lot to learn but also know there is a lot i could pass on which would be beneficial to beginners,
                              As for my highest break...i know its nothing to wright home about but im sure i will get my first century within a year from now... fingers crossed!
                              when i practice lineups i usually score well over a 100 or totally clear them but i know breaks in matches take a bit more bottle,
                              does anyone know what qualifications i would need to start giving lessons? as well as the C R B check,
                              Yes j6uk, i also play pool in the local league,
                              do you play in a snooker league too? anyway pool league to one side, if you wanna do something you really want to do it well right and with conviction. but your coming across unsure of yourself and what you want, from the avatar to not wanting to be the next terry griffiths.. id get on the phone to terry at his club and have a chat, hes an open guy and will give you time. even better go over there. id be hitting the motorway looking for all the best places to play and meet the best players. mark williams has a club do you go there much?

Comment

Working...
                              X