No announcement yet.

The Les Edwards Snooker Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But don't be beaten by any of the bravado - use everything to practice improvements and inspire yourself to get better and compete.

Last edited by Byrom; 17 February 2015, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• your interaction here is the glue that holds your interest together, without us and the hits your table could become a box magnet

Comment

• No one on here wants to see you down Les - being beaten is par for the course - does not matter so much at the start as long as you are putting up fight and enjoying it - lot of work to do but sooner or later you will relax - enjoy it and you will link that to your state of mind as things will start to fall into place and it will click.

You have only just begun Les -
        Last edited by Byrom; 17 February 2015, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
          Funny you mention that. I had a couple hours first thing this morning so I thought I would get some practice in. After trying every stroke under the sun and now cannot make a simple pot I have gone back to what feels natural but slowed everything down and trying to make it smoother. My old way got me through the colour clearance, the other routines just fine and I felt I was improving. If I was 20 I would start from scratch.
          Les:

I don't think you are giving the changes you've tried to your timing sufficient time. Yesterday you said you were working on having a nice rear pause but today it's back to the old ways, short and choppy backswing and short and choppy delivery.

Pick ONE technique, whatever it is, and STICK WITH IT for 3-4 weeks. Don't post another video on here until after the 4 weeks because every time you put up a video we all make recommendations and you try them out for a short time and then give up on them. Just remember the best players in the world have a longer backswing, usually a rear pause and a SMOOTH delivery. Even Cliff and Floyd have that smooth delivery.

So now that you've decided SMOOTHER is the way to go, stick with it for awhile and see what happens. Improvements don't happen after one 2hr session because every player will initially take one step back when he tries out something new but if it's a good change he will take 2 steps forward when he gets it ingrained.
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            Les:

I don't think you are giving the changes you've tried to your timing sufficient time. Yesterday you said you were working on having a nice rear pause but today it's back to the old ways, short and choppy backswing and short and choppy delivery.

Pick ONE technique, whatever it is, and STICK WITH IT for 3-4 weeks. Don't post another video on here until after the 4 weeks because every time you put up a video we all make recommendations and you try them out for a short time and then give up on them. Just remember the best players in the world have a longer backswing, usually a rear pause and a SMOOTH delivery. Even Cliff and Floyd have that smooth delivery.

So now that you've decided SMOOTHER is the way to go, stick with it for awhile and see what happens. Improvements don't happen after one 2hr session because every player will initially take one step back when he tries out something new but if it's a good change he will take 2 steps forward when he gets it ingrained.
            Terry my game is so screwed I have know idea what I am doing. Now everything feels awkward. Miss cueing missing everything. After an hour of Blacks I made 5 after an hour of 4 red line up I managed to get 16. Maybe it's time for a break. I have not missed a day since the challenges started. Now I am diwn right miserable as my wife says it is time to sell the table and give up the game.
            " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
            " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
            http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

• can I ask a question Les?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                can I ask a question Les?
                Sure you can.

Comment

• What are your aims/ambitions with snooker buddy?

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                    your interaction here is the glue that holds your interest together, without us and the hits your table could become a box magnet
                    That's a very interesting point, if you were never alowed back on here Les, would you still play?, I'm not saying it's a bad thing just an interesting point.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                      That's a very interesting point, if you were never alowed back on here Les, would you still play?, I'm not saying it's a bad thing just an interesting point.
                      Yes. I was playing regularly and doing very well before I even knew about the TSF. I enjoy guys to talk to as I have no one else that plays around here. I will say one thing it's time to forget about videos and just post to say hello and how I am making out with my challenges. Complaining about my game does me no good on here except get me more confused.

Comment

• How Long have you been playing snooker for Les as in practicing?

Comment

Yes. I was playing regularly and doing very well before I even knew about the TSF. I enjoy guys to talk to as I have no one else that plays around here. I will say one thing it's time to forget about videos and just post to say hello and how I am making out with my challenges. Complaining about my game does me no good on here except get me more confused.
                          I can understand that Les, I get to go in the club and we all have a moan (no one is ever happy with how they are playing lol)or chat about snooker, it must be keek not having anyone interested in it near you. I think you are right about the videos , maybe the odd one if you get really stuck, but I honestly think it's just time to get your head down , pick a way that lets you cue straightish, and just practice it untill you can do it, (only you know what is possible with you because of your shoulder and arm etc, so really it's almost impossible to be given advice on here , )I don't see any other way, it's what everyone else has done so it must be the secret to it.
                          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Also I will note at that point I knew nothing about technique, everything was done by feel and never heard of looking at the OB I had always looked at CB. Had my first coaching session with Terry and he video taped me making long blues and I made 7-10. He gave me his training cue with the spring in the butt and ran the spots with no problem. He did not see a whole lot wrong with my game other then learning how to play position and learning how to play the stun shot. Now look at me. Cannot make a thing.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                              How Long have you been playing snooker for Les as in practicing?
                              1-1/2 years. This is only about 10 matches a season through the winter months then nothing for the summer. I might pick up a few single games.

Comment

1-1/2 years. This is only about 10 matches a season through the winter months then nothing for the summer. I might pick up a few single games.
                                So not that long at all then!

Comment

Working...
                                X