No announcement yet.

The Les Edwards Snooker Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yep forget about canadas cultural transformation cus its all about you les, so lets get back to it
    Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
    I am done with this conversation. This thread is about myself and other guys doing the challenges. Not about downgrading our efforts to bring back Snooker in Canada.

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
      its all about torburn when it comes to snooker in canada. when he won the worlds everyone who could hold a stick thought they could be world champion. then when he made the max in 83 short comers thought they'd add that to their cv, even if it was a load of bs..
      with there depressing cultural transformation i don't see any kind of resuscitation of snooker in canada
      What complete and utter CRAP! Jason, you know NOTHING about the snooker scene in Canada. The fact of the matter is Cliff Thorburn was a product of what we had here in the 60's and 70's. I believe the first 147 in Canada was done by a Toronto player named Vic Koraluk or something like that. There were players here who could run centuries all day long. Perhaps you might have heard of George Chenier who used to compete on level terms with Joe Davis during his prime.

In fact when Ray Reardon and John Spencer (they both knew George Chenier) were here on a visit in the 70's they found there were a lot of good players and tried to convince some of them to come to England and play. One of these players was my friend Ken Shea from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. Not many of the players went over to the UK as there just wasn't enough money in it to make a living at that time but like Cliff I believe they could have competed effectively once they got used to the heavier conditions. (Ken Shea had 12 competitive 147's and I witnessed one of them and it was that which encouraged me to take up snooker again with Kenny's help).

As usual you tend to speak out of a lower orifice and obviously before doing any research as the records are all on Wikipedia and in various books on the snooker scene in Canada prior to Thorburn. There is a book written by Mordecai Richler from Montreal (on which the Richler Cup tournament is in honour of) and he relates some tidbits on the more well known players.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• It's very sad it's died away Terry, this may be a daft question but was snooker popular all over Canada at one point or more in the English speaking bits and not so much the French parts.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
          yeah of course you were a pro golfer then sugar, but in reality the combo of globalisation and cultural renewal, canadian snooker is dead
          It is slowly coming back to life. Snooker Canada is doing some great things plus Jim Wych and John White are working at it although lack of TV coverage and sponsorship is what's missing. If we can resolve those 2 factors it will be popular again but probably long after I'm gone. Getting it into the Olympics would go a long way.

The other question is why the WPBSA has ignored Canada in favour of Brazil and other countries. Even the Australian pro tournament is not a big crown draw and I think a pro tournament in Canada in either Toronto or Montreal would draw a lot of fans if properly marketed.
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• so what is the crap that im saying? did you really read my post?
            indead there have deen good players like vic koraluk or something like that.. again a very reactionary response from you tel. you came here to the uk to try and compete with the best yet the best from canadian snooker didn't bother from what your saying..
            no doubt you had some nice players but the transformation your country is going though its all but gone

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            What complete and utter CRAP! Jason, you know NOTHING about the snooker scene in Canada. The fact of the matter is Cliff Thorburn was a product of what we had here in the 60's and 70's. I believe the first 147 in Canada was done by a Toronto player named Vic Koraluk or something like that. There were players here who could run centuries all day long. Perhaps you might have heard of George Chenier who used to compete on level terms with Joe Davis during his prime.

In fact when Ray Reardon and John Spencer (they both knew George Chenier) were here on a visit in the 70's they found there were a lot of good players and tried to convince some of them to come to England and play. One of these players was my friend Ken Shea from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. Not many of the players went over to the UK as there just wasn't enough money in it to make a living at that time but like Cliff I believe they could have competed effectively once they got used to the heavier conditions. (Ken Shea had 12 competitive 147's and I witnessed one of them and it was that which encouraged me to take up snooker again with Kenny's help).

As usual you tend to speak out of a lower orifice and obviously before doing any research as the records are all on Wikipedia and in various books on the snooker scene in Canada prior to Thorburn. There is a book written by Mordecai Richler from Montreal (on which the Richler Cup tournament is in honour of) and he relates some tidbits on the more well known players.

Comment

• Terry its just more rubbish from the rubbish man
              who obviously 'knows' more about Canada than
              you or I. Ignore it.

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk
                get back to what you do best and telling us the scores
                Do you have an alcohol problem Jason?
                You seem very bitter and come across very nasty at times, have you tried therapy?
                It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

• Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
                  Do you have an alcohol problem Jason?
                  You seem very bitter and come across very nasty at times, have you tried therapy?
                  LOL........Good one Geordie. Before this thread gets anymore out of hand I am going to bring it back to the challenges. I tried the blue challenge tonight for an hour and my best was three for (18) my best is five which happened with in my first three tries the first time I tried it. I find it so hard to get the cue ball high on the blue. Here is a video.
                  https://bambuser.com/v/5324717

Time for a new post for us Canadians that are trying to make a difference. J6, TD and I will meet you there.
                  " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
                  " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
                  http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

• when did you do the other one Les? I thought you did five twice.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• I think you place the reds to close to the middle making the pot and position easy. They should be blocking the blues to the bottom corner making the pots more difficult and the shots of them being more of screw than stun. I may be taking nonsense though:-) the placement should be in your folder

Comment

• Les unless you start playing proper snooker so to speak and concentrate on break building excercisis I'm afraid your progress will come to a halt. Forget the blue routine and all the other routines and get yourself down the business end of the table and practice some real time break building routines, that can be anything from splitting a 6 red pack to a 10 red pack to even spreading the Reds, this will get you in amongst the balls and you'll need to use your loaf as you'll have to properly think shots.
                        The 15 reds routines and blue routines you've been doing is not going to set you up for match play as you won't have a clue what to do when you're amonsgt the Reds and black will you.
                        Not having a go but to improve in snooker you'll need to know the basics of break building first.

Comment

• Les the third blue you took, i would never just drop it in and leave a distant red, its too difficult to pot and then gain position on the blue. i myself have found i am finishing short on the blue, however in this situation i always play the around the houses shot and more times than not i can finish close to the next red and have some sort of shot to get back high on the blue again.

with regards to these routines being rubbished by some on this thread , i disagree that the don't help in break building. i mean what is break building after all. isn't the idea that you pot a ball and get on the next one. i think these routines although might seem simple they are covering aspects of the game needed in break building.

how many times have we seen pros finish a bit low on a red and need to go down for the blue to get back to the business end of the table. even Stephen Lee had a video and says if you get good on this it will add 20-30 points to your break.

each of these exercises will teach you something so i would carry with them and ignore most of the critics. i am for sure seeing benefits of them and i am sure so are others. of course there are many more aspects of break building and they will eventually come down the line once one can improve and get more comfortable with the basic routines that we have on this thread.

keep it up bud and always keep faith

Comment

• Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                            Les unless you start playing proper snooker so to speak and concentrate on break building excercisis I'm afraid your progress will come to a halt. Forget the blue routine and all the other routines and get yourself down the business end of the table and practice some real time break building routines, that can be anything from splitting a 6 red pack to a 10 red pack to even spreading the Reds, this will get you in amongst the balls and you'll need to use your loaf as you'll have to properly think shots.
                            The 15 reds routines and blue routines you've been doing is not going to set you up for match play as you won't have a clue what to do when you're amonsgt the Reds and black will you.
                            Not having a go but to improve in snooker you'll need to know the basics of break building first.
                            Leo I agree and also disagree. I keep up with the challenges because I know they are helping me but I also finish with scattered reds in the black end try to move the cue ball around. Yesterday I ran 40.

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                            Les the third blue you took, i would never just drop it in and leave a distant red, its too difficult to pot and then gain position on the blue. i myself have found i am finishing short on the blue, however in this situation i always play the around the houses shot and more times than not i can finish close to the next red and have some sort of shot to get back high on the blue again.

with regards to these routines being rubbished by some on this thread , i disagree that the don't help in break building. i mean what is break building after all. isn't the idea that you pot a ball and get on the next one. i think these routines although might seem simple they are covering aspects of the game needed in break building.

how many times have we seen pros finish a bit low on a red and need to go down for the blue to get back to the business end of the table. even Stephen Lee had a video and says if you get good on this it will add 20-30 points to your break.

each of these exercises will teach you something so i would carry with them and ignore most of the critics. i am for sure seeing benefits of them and i am sure so are others. of course there are many more aspects of break building and they will eventually come down the line once one can improve and get more comfortable with the basic routines that we have on this thread.

keep it up bud and always keep faith
                            I am with you, the Blue routine comes up all the time during a match. I have made more slight cuts on the red and went out for a blue then ever before. It's a tough one but very satisfying when you get it right.

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                            when did you do the other one Les? I thought you did five twice.
                            Yes I did the first one was about my third crack at it then a couple days later on my way out the door to work. I will see if I can get another one on video. No promise....LOL

Originally Posted by sealer View Post
                            I think you place the reds to close to the middle making the pot and position easy. They should be blocking the blues to the bottom corner making the pots more difficult and the shots of them being more of screw than stun. I may be taking nonsense though:-) the placement should be in your folder
                            HI Sealer I will have to check that out as I really never noticed. I try to set the two reds up about 6" below pink spot and centered between pink and cushion. Not sure if this blocks black pocket or not.

Comment

• Thanks for the input guys. We are back on track. That's what this thread is all about. If you input for Canadian Snooker there is a new post I started.

Comment

• Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post

I try to set the two reds up about 6" below pink spot and centered between pink and cushion. Not sure if this blocks black pocket or not.
                                i set them up directly inline with the pink spot. not necessary blocking the blue to the top two pockets. it doesn't matter really, the idea is to pot the reds and get on the blue just high enough to pot it into the middle bag and get back to pot the following red.

i have had a few where i found myself just too high to hold for a red and then just played the blue into the middle and send the white up to the top cushion and back down the spots through the reds to land on the next one.

Comment

Working...
                                X