The Les Edwards Snooker Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
    well no you've missed it. you don't go pool snooker then pool again. unless theres been some kind of cultural transformation
    You've lost me again

Comment

• easy done to someone whos not got their ear to the ground

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
      You've lost me again

Comment

• was snooker ever the biggest cue sport in Canada?, I think we might think so because we got to see the best of them over here,so thought the whole country was making the move , but was there a cultural change to snooker? Or was nine ball always the top cue sport even in snookers hey day.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

well no you've missed it. you don't go pool snooker then pool again. unless theres been some kind of cultural transformation
          Its really sad actually, Im usually the only kid under 25 in every tournament I've played....Its still kind of popular amongst the oldies but nothing like how it was in the 80's I bet. All the younger kids do seem to be more interested in pool and night clubs/drugs nowadays lol.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            Les WON HIS FIRST MATCH EVER!!! He beat Pat Graham 3-2 (after being up 2-0). I lost my second match to Robin Petersen 3-2 after being up 2-1.

I haven't checked yet this morning but tournament results will be put up at 'ontariosnooker.club' under the 'News' link. This is our new website and we're looking to make some improvements as we've discovered snooker players need a website which uses the 'KISS' principle since there were a lot of questions regarding playing times (2 players showed up an hour late) and other questions regarding rules and all of that is on our website but the players just don't check it out very well.
            Congrats to Les! And Ughh Terry I totally blew it...I was playing alright, had a really nice 2-0 lead, went 2-1 and then I just needed to pot the black in the side for frame and match....ended up over cutting it and was so disappointed everything seemed to go downhill from there. He won the next frame and it went hill hill to the last 4 colors. He fluked a snooker on the brown, I missed and gave him free ball with a difference of 8 points which he took full advantage of. Bit disappointed on the outcome but I guess thats how it goes sometimes...Anyway great tournament, will definitely come back harder for the next one

Comment

• Originally Posted by OmaMiesta View Post
              Congrats to Les! And Ughh Terry I totally blew it...I was playing alright, had a really nice 2-0 lead, went 2-1 and then I just needed to pot the black in the side for frame and match....ended up over cutting it and was so disappointed everything seemed to go downhill from there. He won the next frame and it went hill hill to the last 4 colors. He fluked a snooker on the brown, I missed and gave him free ball with a difference of 8 points which he took full advantage of. Bit disappointed on the outcome but I guess thats how it goes sometimes...Anyway great tournament, will definitely come back harder for the next one
              Hi Oma, yea that sucks but you where there and that's all you have to remember. I have liost so many matches I have lost count and most of them 3-0 or 4-0 not fun but I am so hooked on this game I keep coming back. Back to the practice table tonight.
              " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
              " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
              http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

• Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
                Hi Oma, yea that sucks but you where there and that's all you have to remember. I have liost so many matches I have lost count and most of them 3-0 or 4-0 not fun but I am so hooked on this game I keep coming back. Back to the practice table tonight.
                Les I admire your passion and determination, I hope mine last just as long as yours when I'm older! As it is I couldnt imagine not playing the game....its all I think about when I'm at work, out with friends, etc....its become more than just an obsession haha. I think my problem is I lose composure very easily when I get close to the finish line. I always start off well and get a huge lead in tournaments and than seem to fold on those key shots to seal the deal...very frustrating.

Comment

• Originally Posted by OmaMiesta View Post
                  Les I admire your passion and determination, I hope mine last just as long as yours when I'm older! As it is I couldnt imagine not playing the game....its all I think about when I'm at work, out with friends, etc....its become more than just an obsession haha. I think my problem is I lose composure very easily when I get close to the finish line. I always start off well and get a huge lead in tournaments and than seem to fold on those key shots to seal the deal...very frustrating.
                  Yes I know what you mean but that is where you have to believe in your game and remember all the practice you have put in will put you through. March 28 & 29 get ready.

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                    was snooker ever the biggest cue sport in Canada?, I think we might think so because we got to see the best of them over here,so thought the whole country was making the move , but was there a cultural change to snooker? Or was nine ball always the top cue sport even in snookers hey day.
                    In the 60s, 70s and 80s snooker was the biggest cue sport in Canada with pool coming a distant second. All that changed however when our main networks stopped showing snooker tournaments and the sports channel (TSN in Canada) started showing all the 9-ball. Snooker seems to be struggling back a bit and it would go a long way if it ever gets into the Olympics as then there will be both televised snooker and also government support.
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Ah cheers Terry, the sixties does surprise me and even the seventies a bit, did the great snooker players of the eighties from Canada not come from pool then, were they always snooker players?
                      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• its all about torburn when it comes to snooker in canada. when he won the worlds everyone who could hold a stick thought they could be world champion. then when he made the max in 83 short comers thought they'd add that to their cv, even if it was a load of bs..
                        with there depressing cultural transformation i don't see any kind of resuscitation of snooker in canada

Comment

its all about torburn when it comes to snooker in canada. when he won the worlds everyone who could hold a stick thought they could be world champion. then when he made the max in 83 short comers thought they'd add that to their cv, even if it was a load of bs..
                          with there depressing cultural transformation i don't see any kind of resuscitation of snooker in canada
                          First off it's Thorburn, now I cannot really talk about the 80's as I was playing professional golf and not playing Snooker but I do know one thing except for Jim Wych the rest of the players of the 80's have no interest in donating there time for free to help bring back the game. TD and myself started up the Ontario Snooker Club which is looking good with 19 for the first tournament and 25 for the second one. Jim has started a new 6 Red hcp tournament on Tuesday nights?

Comment

• Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
                            First off it's Thorburn, now I cannot really talk about the 80's as I was playing professional golf and not playing Snooker but I do know one thing except for Jim Wych the rest of the players of the 80's have no interest in donating there time for free to help bring back the game. TD and myself started up the Ontario Snooker Club which is looking good with 19 for the first tournament and 25 for the second one. Jim has started a new 6 Red hcp tournament on Tuesday nights?
                            yeah of course you were a pro golfer then sugar, but in reality the combo of globalisation and cultural renewal, canadian snooker is dead

Comment

yeah of course you were a pro golfer then sugar, but in reality the combo of globalisation and cultural renewal, canadian snooker is dead
                              I am done with this conversation. This thread is about myself and other guys doing the challenges. Not about downgrading our efforts to bring back Snooker in Canada.

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                                Ah cheers Terry, the sixties does surprise me and even the seventies a bit, did the great snooker players of the eighties from Canada not come from pool then, were they always snooker players?
                                They were always snooker players first and pool players second and some of the really good players didn't even bother with pool at all.
                                Terry Davidson
                                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
                                X