No announcement yet.

can't cue straight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah so to be a cueista takes that littel bit more than slapping the balls around or worring about the height of the tables an so on

Comment

the question was asked and I thought, hm are they lower or not?, so I looked it up. I always thought the US would have been higher due to Americans not wanting to bend over more
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

i guess that youve got a thing for our budies tickuling the collieflower on your current bun, it could be worse

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
          i guess that youve got a thing for our budies tickuling the collieflower on your current bun, it could be worse
          what the f**k are you saying? don't understand a word of that post?

Comment

that ones got me beat too, budies could be yanks current bun is sun, tickuling, no idea, collieflower no idea

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              what the f**k are you saying? don't understand a word of that post?
              J6 can write perfectly good English and has excellent grammar Dean if you look back when he first started posting for the first year, even up there with the same writing grammar as Trevor white yet for some unknown reason I've never understood is to why he's decided to change the way he writes when his grammar used to be spot on.

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                J6 can write perfectly good English and has excellent grammar Dean if you look back when he first started posting for the first year, even up there with the same writing grammar as Trevor white yet for some unknown reason I've never understood is to why he's decided to change the way he writes when his grammar used to be spot on.
                oh I know he used to and can write correctly and sometimes his posts can be informative and helpful; but, as you say, for some unknown reason he tries to confuse and belittle people with his riddles?

Comment

but, as you say, for some unknown reason he tries to confuse and belittle people with his riddles?

Very odd to post in such a childish manner. Why confuse and
                  belittle people I wonder. To feel superior perhaps? Sad.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                    There is a statement somewhere by a famous coach that says '90% of delivery problems originate in the backswing' which means crooked backswing will result in crooked delivery. To prevent this first do what I mentioned above (swinging the hips to the left to clear the trouser pocket from the grip hand thumb) and have the cue snug against the chest - but not too tight. Get the right elbow up as high as you can get it.

On the backswing keep the cue on the chest and as long as your chest doesn't move the backswing will be straight. Always remember getting down on a pool table is more difficult than a snooker table.
                    unfortunately in the last 2 days of practice i found out that i actually didn't fix the problem..maybe i was cueing a bit straighter that day & maybe i was playing better because i was playing faster..but the next day the same thing as all the other times,cueing across the balls but this time i was pulling the cue a bit towards my body not away from it which makes sense because of the change i made..i've tried just about everything so the only explanation i can think of is that the problem has to do with the shoulder dislocation i suffered 3 years back because my shoulder is still a bit unstable to this day (something like 80% out of 100% normal),hence the upper arm movement.so now i'm thinking,is there some kind of shoulder brace i can wear so it can make my shoulder more stable?is there anything i can do about it?
                    Last edited by kflps; 25 June 2015, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by kflps View Post
                      unfortunately in the last 2 days of practice i found out that i actually didn't fix the problem..maybe i was cueing a bit straighter that day & maybe i was playing better because i was playing faster..but the next day the same thing as all the other times,cueing across the balls but this time i was pulling the cue a bit towards my body not away from it which makes sense because of the change i made..i've tried just about everything so the only explanation i can think of is that the problem has to do with the shoulder dislocation i suffered 3 years back because my shoulder is still a bit unstable to this day (something like 80% out of 100% normal),hence the upper arm movement.so now i'm thinking,is there some kind of shoulder brace i can wear so it can make my shoulder more stable?is there anything i can do about it?
                      how do you know you didnt, did, or even have a problem? how can you tell that your cueing across the ball?

Comment

how do you know you didnt, did, or even have a problem? how can you tell that your cueing across the ball?
                        i'm putting a bit unwanted sidespin on some of my shots causing me to miss certain pots or position.also i have a difficulty potting long straight-in shots especially with draw.also i can see the cue veer off a little sideways during feathering/delivery

Comment

i think youll need to put up a video so we can see where your at
                          i'm putting a bit unwanted sidespin on some of my shots causing me to miss certain pots or position.also i have a difficulty potting long straight-in shots especially with draw.also i can see the cue veer off a little sideways during feathering/delivery

Comment

i think youll need to put up a video so we can see where your at
                            you can see the 'veering offline' which i described in my last post in the 1st vid that i posted here on this thread.since these videos i've changed my weight distribution (about 60% weight on the back foot),i have my cue in contact with the chest at all times (not bringing the cue into chest but slowly lowering down until the chest touches the cue),i have my forearm point straight down the floor and not too far back & i have my right toe pointing almost directly on the shot line.but i still have the upper arm movement despite these changes.might post another video with these changes but i really don't think the upper arm movement has much to do with my technique i've tried just about everything yet nothing seems to work,i believe it has to do with the shoulder dislocation i suffered in the past causing my upper arm to be unstable
                            Last edited by kflps; 25 June 2015, 09:41 AM.

Comment

you can see the 'veering offline' which i described in my last post in the 1st vid that i posted here on this thread.since these videos i've changed my weight distribution (about 60% weight on the back foot),i have my cue in contact with the chest at all times (not bringing the cue into chest but slowly lowering down until the chest touches the cue),i have my forearm point straight down the floor and not too far back & i have my right toe pointing almost directly on the shot line.but i still have the upper arm movement despite these changes.might post another video with these changes but i really don't think the upper arm movement has much to do with my technique i've tried just about everything yet nothing seems to work,i believe it has to do with the shoulder dislocation i suffered in the past causing my upper arm to be unstable
                              I hate to tell you but Ray Reardon had a dislocated shoulder when he was young which was never set right and as an adult he won 5 world championships. The reason is the upper arm should NOT be involved with the delivery at all with the exception of at the end of a long backswing when the elbow drops a bit and on a power delivery when just the mass of the cue will drag the elbow down.

I should mention there are some players who drop the elbow on almost every shot. Ronnie is an example of this in the modern day and Tony Knowles was a prime example back in the 80's HOWEVER you have to realize both these players started playing when very young and dropping the elbow (or using the upper arm and shoulder muscle in other words) is NATURAL and NORMAL to them. It will not be normal for you and using the upper arm and shoulder muscle is a big mistake because those muscles are meant for power and NOT for fine motor skills.

You are going to have to learn to keep the elbow up all the time and not allow the elbow to drop at all. The temptation is to use the shoulder muscle to develop more power but power shouldn't come from that it should come from the length of the backswing and the rate of acceleration of the cue. The longer the backswing the more distance the cue has to accelerate.

No excuses here. Learn to pot power shots by lengthening the backswing and not allowing the elbow to drop (look at Judd Trump who gets all the power he needs without dropping the elbow at all).

Generally the reason for this in most players is first of all having a backswing which is too short for the power required so the use the shoulder muscle to develop the power, too fast a backswing also causes upper body movement, no rear pause or an abrupt change in direction of the cue will also cause upper body movement and probably the most common problem is combined with all the above the player will tighten his grip too early in the delivery in order to get the acceleration required. I have seen players who tighten their grip at the start of the delivery which will automatically take the butt of the cue off-line. If these players pot a long ball it is mostly good luck.
                              Terry Davidson
                              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

i've tried just about everything yet nothing seems to work
                                Have you tried playing snooker 5 times a week for 4-5 hours for 2 years?

You're not gonna go down the club after changing a couple of things in your technique and never miss again. Becoming a good snooker player takes years and years.
                                WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                                Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X