can't cue straight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    oh I know he used to and can write correctly and sometimes his posts can be informative and helpful; but, as you say, for some unknown reason he tries to confuse and belittle people with his riddles?
    Haha, I love his riddles, he's then rhymer! Fish are jumping out the barrel tday.

Comment

I can't completely agree with Terry here. Yes, elbow drop is an advanced technique but that doesn't mean it can't be taught or learned over time, ask Del Hill. The GOAT uses it, so there's no reason why someone else can't. If you can teach people to stand this way, bridge that way, grip this way, you can teach elbow drop as well. But then it's tons of practice afterwards to bed it in.

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
        Haha, I love his riddles, he's then rhymer! Fish are jumping out the barrel tday.
        from a quote 4 days ago, ?

I can't completely agree with Terry here. Yes, elbow drop is an advanced technique but that doesn't mean it can't be taught or learned over time, ask Del Hill. The GOAT uses it, so there's no reason why someone else can't. If you can teach people to stand this way, bridge that way, grip this way, you can teach elbow drop as well. But then it's tons of practice afterwards to bed it in.
        advanced? or just one of many techniques? How is it "advanced" compared to other techniques? by the way who is GOAT?
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

If the GOAT doesn't use it, I'm not using it, it's only fair.

Comment

yeah this shoulder muscle stuff always gets me on the belt buckles. this is worth another look, ron like most player hit from the elbow an the droping of the elbow is on shot completion. its timing, letting the cue do the work
            no need to access the excess
            Last edited by j6uk; 25 June 2015, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
              yeah this shoulder muscle stuff always gets me on the belt buckles. this is worth another look, ron like most player hit from the elbow an the droping of the elbow is on shot completion. its timing, letting the cue do the work
              no need to access the excess
              I think Terry may mean he elbow drops on power and spin shots more than the tip-tap stun run through stuff. Nice vid bud.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                I hate to tell you but Ray Reardon had a dislocated shoulder when he was young which was never set right and as an adult he won 5 world championships. The reason is the upper arm should NOT be involved with the delivery at all with the exception of at the end of a long backswing when the elbow drops a bit and on a power delivery when just the mass of the cue will drag the elbow down.

I should mention there are some players who drop the elbow on almost every shot. Ronnie is an example of this in the modern day and Tony Knowles was a prime example back in the 80's HOWEVER you have to realize both these players started playing when very young and dropping the elbow (or using the upper arm and shoulder muscle in other words) is NATURAL and NORMAL to them. It will not be normal for you and using the upper arm and shoulder muscle is a big mistake because those muscles are meant for power and NOT for fine motor skills.

You are going to have to learn to keep the elbow up all the time and not allow the elbow to drop at all. The temptation is to use the shoulder muscle to develop more power but power shouldn't come from that it should come from the length of the backswing and the rate of acceleration of the cue. The longer the backswing the more distance the cue has to accelerate.

No excuses here. Learn to pot power shots by lengthening the backswing and not allowing the elbow to drop (look at Judd Trump who gets all the power he needs without dropping the elbow at all).

Generally the reason for this in most players is first of all having a backswing which is too short for the power required so the use the shoulder muscle to develop the power, too fast a backswing also causes upper body movement, no rear pause or an abrupt change in direction of the cue will also cause upper body movement and probably the most common problem is combined with all the above the player will tighten his grip too early in the delivery in order to get the acceleration required. I have seen players who tighten their grip at the start of the delivery which will automatically take the butt of the cue off-line. If these players pot a long ball it is mostly good luck.
                but i thought that i wasn't dropping my elbow,does my elbow drop in the videos that i posted?i thought i only had side to side movement of the upper arm which is causing the cue to go offline.although in the vid where i pot a few balls i didn't play any power shot at all,i don't think my elbow drops on power shots but i will check it out as i might be wrong.
                Last edited by kflps; 25 June 2015, 04:29 PM.

Comment

i see you like your juddisms kfips an why not.. but if you look at him as a boy from 4:00 you can see he has a solid technique all the way though the shot. you playing pool dont really help much but you still seem unsteay around that pool table. i think if you show us some moves on a snooker table it would be more helpfull but if pool is your thing thats cool, just look to go for a more pool technique
                  Last edited by j6uk; 25 June 2015, 05:26 PM.

Comment

J6 has it right. The problem with the elbow drop is that it happens before the strike with a lot of players, especially those with shorter backswings during power shots. I don't think it should be taught or even demonstrated until a player can play without dropping the elbow at all and then if he feels natural with it he can go ahead an learn it but it's all about the correct timing. If you drop the elbow before the strike that means you've brought the larger shoulder muscle into the shot.

Absolutely nothing wrong with dropping the elbow if a player can control it and time it right. (I'm talking on delivery here though. The elbow SHOULD drop near the end of a longer backswing).
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                      J6 has it right. The problem with the elbow drop is that it happens before the strike with a lot of players, especially those with shorter backswings during power shots. I don't think it should be taught or even demonstrated until a player can play without dropping the elbow at all and then if he feels natural with it he can go ahead an learn it but it's all about the correct timing. If you drop the elbow before the strike that means you've brought the larger shoulder muscle into the shot.

Absolutely nothing wrong with dropping the elbow if a player can control it and time it right. (I'm talking on delivery here though. The elbow SHOULD drop near the end of a longer backswing).
                      someone from another forum told me that the reason for not cueing straight is because i twirl the cue every time i open & close my grip & that i shoot with my hand,not my arm.i believe that is the problem myself.the thing is even if i know the problem,i just cannot keep the cue from rotating in my hand while i'm feathering.any ideas on how to stop the cue from twirling?thanks.

Comment

all cueing is done from the elbow, the hand is netral only opening and closing th back few fingers

Comment

Originally Posted by kflps View Post
                          someone from another forum told me that the reason for not cueing straight is because i twirl the cue every time i open & close my grip & that i shoot with my hand,not my arm.i believe that is the problem myself.the thing is even if i know the problem,i just cannot keep the cue from rotating in my hand while i'm feathering.any ideas on how to stop the cue from twirling?thanks.
                          Suggestion from an amature:
                          Try this, it works for me. I call this a "reset" on your grip/feathering motion. This may sound wrong at first but please hear me out. Try to tighten your grip and locking your wrist as much as possible and start feathering. You will notice that you have a very limited backswing and follow thru, hence, you won't even drop your elbow as your grip will end the forward cue motion once you get near your chest. Then try to pot a few straight blues to the middle, then to the corner pocket. Once you get the hang of it, try to gentle loosen the grip finger by finger until you are comfortable with your feathering and cueing motion. This was taught to me by a veteran player which helps me realize that straight shots are the easiest when you are in line and in control of your cue motion, and often, it is our "other" habits that screw up the shot.

Z

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                            all cueing is done from the elbow, the hand is netral only opening and closing th back few fingers
                            Exactly. Don't use your shoulder, elbow or body on the shot. The shoulder should be elevated as much as possible, the forearm hanging down from the hinge (elbow). The ring grip stabilises the cue and the rear fingers generate the pace. Cues weigh around 17-18oz and they're balanced on a smooth bridge. You should never need to consciously use the muscles of the forearm or the upper arm and never the shoulder. Obviously, these muscles do come in to play but the feel of which muscles are taking the shot should all be in the fingers. FEEL. JT is a skinny runt and he produces more power than anyone. It's all about the fingers. Take the shot like JT.

Comment

Originally Posted by kflps View Post
                              If your cue is going off-line on your delivery then you MUST be turning your wrist joint. There are some ways to stabilize the wrist and probably the most common one is the 'wrist cock' which has a player turning the wrist joint out so the back of the grip hand is nearly parallel to the floor. Just remember not to force it so that you get discomfort.

The other way is to have the wrist hang down naturally. To 'get' this just drop your arm down beside your leg (without a cue) and close the grip by making a fist. That is how it should look when there's a cue in the grip and this is most likely the best thing for any player rather than an unnatural wrist cock.

With the natural drop try cueing slowly along the baulkline, watching the tip of the cue to see if it wanders and concentrate on keeping the wrist joint the same throughout the feathers, backswing and delivery.
                              Terry Davidson
                              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Another thread, where once the OP has read everything here, he won't be able to pot a ball.
                                WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                                Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X