STAR Academy... Pottr's perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    I look forward to reading yours. Quite fortunate really to have a second perspective... I mean, a new poster, coincidentally on the course and finding TSF 3 weeks after the event, and a week after my post...
    Pottr,

I can understand you thinking that there is something odd by the coincident, however my name is Rob and you can ask anyone at the Academy if I was there. I have kept my certificate, so I can assure you that I am legit.

In regards to 'which child was I'; I was the only person on the course that wasn't a child.
    Again, feel free to clarify this with anyone there. Even ask Luke.

As I live and work far from Sheffield, I arrived Sunday at the academy at about 1700 hrs and had a quick match with one of the players there after introducing myself to Keith.

Because of my age, I was afforded the opportunity to stay in one of the academy houses where two of the residential amateurs live.

I was left to play for a while on Monday until late in the afternoon; a bit odd I thought as no one had assessed my cue action, or anything really, so I was just left alone to play incorrectly until I got the basics from a coach who struggled to communicate in good English.
    He was a lovely guy but I did question his ability to coach at such an academy with his limited communication skills. I can assume that he is a fantastic coach in his own country but when he cannot communicate how he wants to, there is a lot lost.
    To be honest, I struggled with him and didn't learn a HUGE deal. I learned something, yes. But compared to what Barry taught me (more about him in a minute) I had to ask Gary for an hour here and there to clarify the points Sergie had tried to teach me.

Because of another course that was running at the same time for the first few days in the week, the place was crowded with people and there wasn't an opportunity to be able to practice what had been taught. This was a poor start to the week and I was a little annoyed that I could not practice what had been taught to me properly as we were just thrown on a table with others to play matches because of the Academy's poor forethought in booking courses at the same time.

Because of my age, I was very lucky to be able to mix and chat with the other players, an invaluable experience as it was great to ask them many questions and just watch them play.

Also, as I had my own car and went to other accommodation where one of the key holders lived, I was lucky to be able to stay after the Academy closed at 1800 hrs and play up to 2000 hrs.

After the first few days when the second course went home, there was more time to spend practicing what had been taught on a single table. At this point I was lucky enough to receive coaching from Barry (Surname unknown). Barry was an old fellow who had a brilliant manner in teaching and explained everything with purpose. Instead of just teaching that there are three very different rest techniques (with variations) he explained the pros and cons and who used each one. He stripped everything down and reassembled it. Finally, the basics were in place with knowledge of why, and consistency could start to be practiced.
    Barry took it upon himself to dedicate time with me and was so fascinated by the sport still, he had this passion when he spoke in anyway about it. Refreshing from the negativity towards the sport from Gary who, after an accident, was stopped from competing at the level he wished. This by no means takes away from his brilliance at coaching and management; I think Ding proves that.

Conclusion before I write an entire book.

The course is very expensive, which would be worth every penny if I had Barry coaching me all week.
    The only reason I believe I got my money's worth is from the coaching he gave me.
    If he hadn't, I would very much had regretted the cost.

Even so, I will go back next year to learn more.

The accommodation is extremely costly and just another money making scheme from the Academy. £150 for the 5 days? EACH! We could have hired a villa between the course for that price.
    The three course lunch was a £4.50 canteen lunch of which on two occasions I had to have just a basic side salad because they ran out of the main meal.
    I didn't have a choice but to take the accommodation though.

Please pose any questions you wish.

All the best

GreenLife

Comment

Originally Posted by GreenLife View Post
      Pottr,

I can understand you thinking that there is something odd by the coincident, however my name is Rob and you can ask anyone at the Academy if I was there. I have kept my certificate, so I can assure you that I am legit.

In regards to 'which child was I'; I was the only person on the course that wasn't a child.
      Again, feel free to clarify this with anyone there. Even ask Luke.

As I live and work far from Sheffield, I arrived Sunday at the academy at about 1700 hrs and had a quick match with one of the players there after introducing myself to Keith.

Because of my age, I was afforded the opportunity to stay in one of the academy houses where two of the residential amateurs live.

I was left to play for a while on Monday until late in the afternoon; a bit odd I thought as no one had assessed my cue action, or anything really, so I was just left alone to play incorrectly until I got the basics from a coach who struggled to communicate in good English.
      He was a lovely guy but I did question his ability to coach at such an academy with his limited communication skills. I can assume that he is a fantastic coach in his own country but when he cannot communicate how he wants to, there is a lot lost.
      To be honest, I struggled with him and didn't learn a HUGE deal. I learned something, yes. But compared to what Barry taught me (more about him in a minute) I had to ask Gary for an hour here and there to clarify the points Sergie had tried to teach me.

Because of another course that was running at the same time for the first few days in the week, the place was crowded with people and there wasn't an opportunity to be able to practice what had been taught. This was a poor start to the week and I was a little annoyed that I could not practice what had been taught to me properly as we were just thrown on a table with others to play matches because of the Academy's poor forethought in booking courses at the same time.

Because of my age, I was very lucky to be able to mix and chat with the other players, an invaluable experience as it was great to ask them many questions and just watch them play.

Also, as I had my own car and went to other accommodation where one of the key holders lived, I was lucky to be able to stay after the Academy closed at 1800 hrs and play up to 2000 hrs.

After the first few days when the second course went home, there was more time to spend practicing what had been taught on a single table. At this point I was lucky enough to receive coaching from Barry (Surname unknown). Barry was an old fellow who had a brilliant manner in teaching and explained everything with purpose. Instead of just teaching that there are three very different rest techniques (with variations) he explained the pros and cons and who used each one. He stripped everything down and reassembled it. Finally, the basics were in place with knowledge of why, and consistency could start to be practiced.
      Barry took it upon himself to dedicate time with me and was so fascinated by the sport still, he had this passion when he spoke in anyway about it. Refreshing from the negativity towards the sport from Gary who, after an accident, was stopped from competing at the level he wished. This by no means takes away from his brilliance at coaching and management; I think Ding proves that.

Conclusion before I write an entire book.

The course is very expensive, which would be worth every penny if I had Barry coaching me all week.
      The only reason I believe I got my money's worth is from the coaching he gave me.
      If he hadn't, I would very much had regretted the cost.

Even so, I will go back next year to learn more.

The accommodation is extremely costly and just another money making scheme from the Academy. £150 for the 5 days? EACH! We could have hired a villa between the course for that price.
      The three course lunch was a £4.50 canteen lunch of which on two occasions I had to have just a basic side salad because they ran out of the main meal.
      I didn't have a choice but to take the accommodation though.

Please pose any questions you wish.

All the best

GreenLife
      Sounds like Barry Stark. Looks a bit like Max from The Tweenies lol. I know Bazza very well. He lives in Nottinghamshire & plays for my County team. Good coach & a very very steady player for a man in his 70's. He coaches professional players Kyren Wilson & Mark Joyce

Comment

Originally Posted by Tony Morgan View Post
        Sounds like Barry Stark. Looks a bit like Max from The Tweenies lol. I know Bazza very well. He lives in Nottinghamshire & plays for my County team. Good coach & a very very steady player for a man in his 70's. He coaches professional players Kyren Wilson & Mark Joyce
        yep, i worked with him and he knows his stuff. good fella to have a pint with too

Comment

STAR Academy... Pottr's perspective

been at the academy today and thrilled that barry stark was my coach for the day. he cant stop himself helping everyone, really his enthusiasm is something else! great day and made because of Barry top bloke!

Comment

Working...
          X