Trying to improve backswing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
    You've got a solid game there mate. Try holding it a couple of inches up the butt. Tape it. If it doesn't work after a while in solo practice (line-up), bin it. How long have you been playing and how old are you? Excuse my rudeness please.

On jabbyness; take the cue back, say 'paws' to yourself, then execute the shot. You've already made the shot decision, so you won't forget what to do by saying a word. Very few can play well without a pause, maybe just Jimmy and Alex come to mind, though Jimmy is very smooth without one. But mortals tend to need one. Don't be tempted to think that taking the cue back quickly will do any good, it won't. It just gets you to the rear point faster, it adds nothing to power or control and can ruin accuracy.

*And why are you called Looter; that's a good name.
    I'm 39 and been playing since I was around 10 so I don't know if I can change my technique after playing a long time, I think seeing a coach might be the answer for me.

I used to work for the Loot publication and we were all called "Looters" hence the username lol.

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
      Highest break of 97 and you're asking how to bring your cue back/nearly missing the object ball, is this a wind up?
      Sadly not, I got the 97 15 years ago and not got near it since.

Comment

Maybe Ted is being infected by Pottr arrogance?! T147/INMB come across differently, as does Byrom/J6. As I've said before, we are all in the same class, the class that won't be going to the Crucible.
        I think I just came across completely different to what you said above with my "is this a wind up" comment. However I struggle to believe somebody with a high break of 97 who makes regular 50/60 breaks is struggling with their backswing. I mean to be honest it sounds as if he's not far off my standard and I couldn't imagine asking a question like this.

Get a video up with what you're doing currently and see what people can suggest, if your highest break is 97 and you make regular 50's then you're a good club player and I can't imagine there'd be too much you'd need to change.
        when I was stuck with 99 as my highest break I found it was more shot selection than changing technique, it may be that you're not doing a lot wrong but would be good to see.
        "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

I had that same problem with my old cue but that was down to its length....too short by a fraction. So during my final backswing (yes, this is how it is called, nevermind what was said in the 2nd com), on powershots, the ferrule was touching my skin and it totally disrupted my focus. You put chalk on the skin, adds some grit on it, lose fluency, etc. Hated it. Problem solved since I changed my cue for a slightly longer one, 58 in now.
          Indeed ROS and Higgins are doing it a lot but must be down to habit. If you don't like it then reduce your backswing length by a fraction, it will not impact the result. The "cleanliless" of the power screwshot will be essentially don to the timing on the shot, and a nice acceleration through the cueball. Not by the lost fraction not going fully back to the bridge.
          Hope it helps
          Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

I think I just came across completely different to what you said above with my "is this a wind up" comment. However I struggle to believe somebody with a high break of 97 who makes regular 50/60 breaks is struggling with their backswing. I mean to be honest it sounds as if he's not far off my standard and I couldn't imagine asking a question like this.

Get a video up with what you're doing currently and see what people can suggest, if your highest break is 97 and you make regular 50's then you're a good club player and I can't imagine there'd be too much you'd need to change.
            when I was stuck with 99 as my highest break I found it was more shot selection than changing technique, it may be that you're not doing a lot wrong but would be good to see.
            i find one persons regular is every session and anothers is once a year

Comment

junior member?

Comment

BY7 THE SNOOKER FORUMS BIGGEST A-HOLE...@molly; it's you talking crap. No-one has mentioned feathers.
                Do please try to learn English. I mentioned it as a for instance.
                As for the rest of that post it just goes to show what a load of bull comes from your gob.

Comment

I suspect the OP is not hitting 50/60s every session but only occasionally, maybe every couple of months. I also suspect the OPs high 97 is long ago. Hence my advice. If he was hitting 50s/60s every session he probably wouldn't be asking for advice. If he IS hitting 50s/60s every session and is seeking advice, he probably wants to get a ton and hit single visit frame winning breaks. Either way, if he's jabbing the ball and missing the OB(as he states!) there's room for improvement. It's good someone wants to improve and work on technique. So many don't or revert to buying cues, trying to shop their way out of a problem that's merely mental and mechanical.

That's a great phrase I've just come up with:

Snooker = mental + mechanical.

Maybe Ted is being infected by Pottr arrogance?! T147/INMB come across differently, as does Byrom/J6. As I've said before, we are all in the same class, the class that won't be going to the Crucible.

@Looter; can you do a video as Markz suggests? Maybe IBSF coaches like Terry Davidson could help you then. Cheaper than seeing a coach in person. lol

@molly; it's you talking crap. No-one has mentioned feathers. Marco is a good cueist and has a large amount of tons on the board. But he pauses before delivering like almost all great players. It works for him BUT, Marco lacks cue power and not feathering does not help I believe. Only Jimmy has ever really got away without a pause but he feathers and has terrific cue power. Few folk have the fingers and rhythm to deliver without a pause well. Feathers aren't strictly needed but most do them to get a feel for weight of shot and to help them deliver the cue straight and on line. A robot wouldn't feather, it would hit the CB in the right place and create terrific spin if programmed. We aren't robots.
                  Having met and played ted a few times now, I can honestly say he'd be the last person on here I'd accuse of arrogance. He's worked extremely hard on his game and talks plenty of sense about keeping it as simple as possible and keep pushing yourself on the practice table whether it's solo or playing frames. I've found far more arrogance from a division 3 player with a high break of 37 than a genuine guy that can actually play the game to a good level.

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
                    I've found far more arrogance from a division 3 player with a high break of 37 than a genuine guy that can actually play the game to a good level.
                    No need to single me out Mark
                    "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by jimmymoller View Post
                      Do please try to learn English. I mentioned it as a for instance.
                      As for the rest of that post it just goes to show what a load of bull comes from your gob.
                      'English?!', from a grunt? Dear oh dear oh dear oh dear! Back to old shoe leather ya dingo.
                      Last edited by Big Splash!; 31 August 2016, 02:12 PM.

Comment

No need to single me out Mark
                        I've seen you get a 50+ in a room full of wolves fans with pass the dutchie banging out in the background lol

Comment

I've seen you get a 50+ in a room full of wolves fans with pass the dutchie banging out in the background lol
                          She was how old?!

Comment

Originally Posted by Looter View Post
                            I'm 39 and been playing since I was around 10 so I don't know if I can change my technique after playing a long time, I think seeing a coach might be the answer for me.

I used to work for the Loot publication and we were all called "Looters" hence the username lol.
                            Afternoon mate. So you've got 29yrs on the clock on and off. Yeah, it's gonna be four times as hard for you to make the change in middle age than if you'd done it at ten but plenty here have made big changes and advances. Seeing a coach is a great idea. Some coaches will say, leave it alone, improve what's in your technique and others will say, yeah, you could do it but it's a major change and will lead to rewards but you'll have to put the effort in. It's all about what you want. Good to see someone who wants to improve and advance, even in advancing years. Great attitude.

Comment

She was how old?!
                              I'm from wolves mate and even I said to Tom I wonder what language these guys are speaking as their accents were that broad lol

Comment

I'm from wolves mate and even I said to Tom I wonder what language these guys are speaking as their accents were that broad lol
                                Knuckle draggers up from Dud-layyyyyy our kid.

Comment

Working...
                                X