Trying to improve backswing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
    Knuckle draggers up from Dud-layyyyyy our kid.
    That deserves a like button lol

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
      I'm from wolves mate and even I said to Tom I wonder what language these guys are speaking as their accents were that broad lol
      To this day I have no idea what they were saying. Your club on a Wolves matchday is an interesting experience lol
      "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

I don't get where the view of Ted being arrogant is coming from, for me he's one of the best folk on here, and if I had gone from where he was to where he is now, I wouldn't even talk to most of you lot ,unless I was ripping the pish
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
          I don't get where the view of Ted being arrogant is coming from, for me he's one of the best folk on here, and if I had gone from where he was to where he is now, I wouldn't even talk to most of you lot ,unless I was ripping the pish
          I don't think anyone was seriously saying he was that arrogant, just joshing a bit bud. He comes across fine to me and I like most of his advice.

Comment

I don't think anyone was seriously saying he was that arrogant, just joshing a bit bud. He comes across fine to me and I like most of his advice.
            Me too,it was tounge in cheek, but it must be one hell of a frustrating place on here if you can actually play the game, listening to some of the drivel we come out with

Comment

Me too,it was tounge in cheek, but it must be one hell of a frustrating place on here if you can actually play the game, listening to some of the drivel we come out with
              TDF mate?

Thing is, I'm repeating what maxi makers believe and what coaches have told me. But I believe what I've been advised and it has worked. Others will disagree and they may be right because different things work with different people. It's all about offering advice, the player experimenting a bit, keeping what is good, binning the rest, I feel. Snooker is marvellous, diff ways to do and achieve things. Nothing wrong with the player trying two bits of contrasting advice and seeing what fits. I think everyone on here would like more snooker players in the game and for those players to get the best out of themselves.

Comment

It's tough knowing what's right and how much time do you waste trying everything you are told by different people, or do you just cue up and down the spots back to your tip, or do the stop shot blue untill you hit the cue ball on the way back most of the time, then accept you can cue straight and just learn how to break bulid after that? I'm a tinkerer but it's not good for me as I get hung up with the latest idea and forget just to do the basics better, it's not untill someone on here who can play says sometching and it rings a bell and I go and just sort it immediately and it's always without fail a basic I have forgotten. I got the latest reminder that fixed my game from a Pottr video with his son ,doing seven reds that I watched the other day, just a one line comment from Pottr and bang! I knew what I had been doing wrong and the next day my cueing was back.
                What does TDF mean? When I said we, I didn't mean you, I meant "we" the duffers as a whole on here asking the same questions over and over, it must get frustrating, I know it gets to TD sometimes, even though I asked him all the same questions when I joined lol.

Comment

It's tough knowing what's right and how much time do you waste trying everything you are told by different people, or do you just cue up and down the spots back to your tip, or do the stop shot blue untill you hit the cue ball on the way back most of the time, then accept you can cue straight and just learn how to break bulid after that? I'm a tinkerer but it's not good for me as I get hung up with the latest idea and forget just to do the basics better, it's not untill someone on here who can play says sometching and it rings a bell and I go and just sort it immediately and it's always without fail a basic I have forgotten. I got the latest reminder that fixed my game from a Pottr video with his son ,doing seven reds that I watched the other day, just a one line comment from Pottr and bang! I knew what I had been doing wrong and the next day my cueing was back.
                  What does TDF mean? When I said we, I didn't mean you, I meant "we" the duffers as a whole on here asking the same questions over and over, it must get frustrating, I know it gets to TD sometimes, even though I asked him all the same questions when I joined lol.
                  TDF - The Drivel Forum! lol

I think the only way of knowing is to try change things, one by one. I think TD said that a few years back. I knew longer cueing was holding me back in terms of power and control and accuracy. I gave in eventually. Me mates hit the big numbers and they and the coaches recommend a shorter BtB. Plus the top pros use a shorter BtB as well, like ROS and Selby. So I knew this was a recommendation that stood a lot of tests. Other preferences on stance, grip, alignment, shoulder, etc are not so clear cut. For one thing, you've got maybe 3-4 inches extra room to play with, that means being able to get your hand on the table when with an 11'' BtB, you couldn't. A shorter BtB is easily the best change I've made. We should have a poll on it. I hope that I'm set for the next few decades soon enough. I feel very close to optimal w.r.t. results on the table; a combination of accuracy, power, control, rhythm, smoothness, body aches. It's all a compromise, we can't have everything from one set-up, we have to sacrifice this and that for this and that. Even the pros do. Just one example; Robbo/Trump have amazing long ball accuracy and power but I feel the set-up of Ron/Ding leads to better CB control and break-building. Marco is different again and Hendry was a great potter and break-builder but his set-up kills the body and joints. It's not an easy choice and players need to think about what they wish to achieve on the table and what style of play they're after. There's plenty of philosophy and identity in the game. For me it was about giving up the Jimmy style in return for other things I wanted on the table. The hardest part wasn't changing the mechanics but giving up the style of play and persona of a snooker player in my head that I'd been used to, me the snooker player.

WHO ARE YOU?

Last edited by Big Splash!; 31 August 2016, 07:54 PM.

Comment

* What's worse than change? Not changing? I know someone who claims to have a made hundreds of tons. No-one in league has seen him make one ton in practice or a fifty in league. Now the guy is a bit odd and maybe the drugs are strong but he doesn't look like he's ever made a ton to me, even when he was the full six pack. And his game is going downhill as well and his handicap lengthening. He isn't old either. So I say to myself, why doesn't he invest in change, he has nothing to lose.

This is the conundrum; is major change and all the effort worth it? If you're stuck in a frustrating rut or things are getting worse, I say yes. If you're happy with what you've got and are enjoying your game, then no.

But the chap above has the pretence of being a good player to hang on to, and tell those stories. And if he admits his game needs to change, he even has to give up that protective blanket and admit he isn't as good as he tells people. Maybe his brain couldn't handle that. Change is not for the fearties, it's for the hungry and brave. Change for the sake of it is for those who are scared of settling on one thing and practising that one thing to death. So, it's all about assessing rationally, the point of change, the time, consequences and the cost, even before you do it, to make as sure as one possibly can, that it's worthwhile.

Comment

The alternative to change, is doing things better I suppose, I feel we can be too quick to think something is drastically wrong, when it's probably just one of the five or six basics we are not doing correctly .
                      On a sideline I do agree about bridge length, I know they say up to 12 inches but that seems very long, I have seen decent players in the club up at 14, it just looks horrible to me, but to be fair they are better than me, so who knows, mine naturally is ten, did you find sighting strange when you dropped down to eight?

Comment

The alternative to change, is doing things better I suppose, I feel we can be too quick to think something is drastically wrong, when it's probably just one of the five or six basics we are not doing correctly .
                        On a sideline I do agree about bridge length, I know they say up to 12 inches but that seems very long, I have seen decent players in the club up at 14, it just looks horrible to me, but to be fair they are better than me, so who knows, mine naturally is ten, did you find sighting strange when you dropped down to eight?
                        I couldn't pot a ball at first! I didn't drop down to 8 straight away, I did it gradually. I sort of crept up the shaft, inch by inch. When you change BtB, you have to change other things to bring your sighting on the shot back into alignment with the body. So there's a wee adjustment in cue position under the chest/next to the hip, and a tiny grip adjustment. That's why I say, think long and hard about changing. You have to really want to improve to change things.

Ronnie has had a go at changing everything down the years, seen every coach. He's always looking for a new edge. I think he found his zenith back in 2012/3. He was on fire and consistent. Technically, he had the perfect balance between the constituents of his game. Though his long potting has improved since then, particularly at the Masters, given his grip adjustment (following Judd/Robbo). That 92 break!

Last edited by Big Splash!; 1 September 2016, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Did you just move your bridge back or did you keep everything in the same position but also move your back arm up the shaft?
                          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                            Did you just move your bridge back or did you keep everything in the same position but also move your back arm up the shaft?
                            Yes, because my forearm was at 90 degrees, I was able to simply move my bridge up the cue inch for inch I moved my grip grand. It's important that one is gripping at 85- 90 degrees first. If not, make that adjustment first. Some folk have difficulty adjusting the grip on the cue as they move up the butt and then require the cue to be shortened. I didn't so I was lucky I guess.
                            Last edited by Big Splash!; 1 September 2016, 12:45 PM.

Comment

I couldn't pot a ball at first! I didn't drop down to 8 straight away, I did it gradually. I sort of crept up the shaft, inch by inch. When you change BtB, you have to change other things to bring your sighting on the shot back into alignment with the body. So there's a wee adjustment in cue position under the chest/next to the hip, and a tiny grip adjustment. That's why I say, think long and hard about changing. You have to really want to improve to change things.

Ronnie has had a go at changing everything down the years, seen every coach. He's always looking for a new edge. I think he found his zenith back in 2012/3. He was on fire and consistent. Technically, he had the perfect balance between the constituents of his game. Though his long potting has improved since then, particularly at the Masters, given his grip adjustment (following Judd/Robbo). That 92 break!

Can you elaborate on what change ? What was he doing and what did he change ?

I thought he was still griping with the middle finger and thumb, same as he always did ?

Comment

Here's a daft little question, might just show what level everyone is at.
                                After Carter misses , look at the state of the table and honestly say what break you would be happy with from that situation, if I made a twenty I would have done as well as I could I reckon, unless I got a lucky split somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X