Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do people think of Roy Chisholm's Snooker Secrets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
    It was that post, and maybe another one or two where I started to struggle: as he said that it worked....

I think he is the only Dissenter now, but I'm sure they were the Majority to begin with.
    To be fair, I was a dissenter but the videos are convincing and now I'm like, if the majority of the universe is dark matter and dark energy, why can't the OB spin and swerve after being kicked, course it can guvnaar!

Comment

• Originally Posted by Little Reggie View Post
      Well, I'd say it should be expressed in mechanics rather than physics as the concepts are easier to understand and more intuitive (though equivalent of course). The problem you have is some people believe in side and some don't. It's like that. Side (haha) is a very divisive issue. Some will extol its virtues and love and use it with a passion and some can't get on with it for many a reason, thus hate it and survive without it. Both may do well but the very best can use side as needed. I don't use it much, preferring raw power for stun and screw as my manipulators but I do appreciate those who use it with finesse. I try to be broadminded about it but that's down to wisdom and whisky.
      A spinning ball will impact another ball differently to a non-spinning one - it isn't rocket (All puns intended) science.

The thing about ROS is that he is a winning Higgins ie took the best bits form Alex and tried to incorporate Steve's winning head. Unfortunately he got lost in a quest for Snooker Perfection, and thinks he loses when he does not hit that level, regardless of the Match Result.

Comment

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post
        The question is guys.

Did Wilson just play the swerve to try and hit the natural BOB to make the pot?.

IMO, Wilson didn't 100% think his 5 o'clock hit turned the OB in the pocket. He considered it was kick too hence the call to the ref to clean the CB. On slow pots the chances of kicks happen more often and when they do happen you can blatantly see the OB straighten up.

And guys, please stop poking fun at Terry. His a respected forum member and has helped many on here with hours and hours of posting. Do yourselves some favours and keep it more tasteful.

Nights,
        t....
        If Wilson was playing a swerve shot his cue would be a lot higher then it was. There is no doubt whatsoever that Wilson played the shot as we all saw it

Comment

Well, I'd say it should be expressed in mechanics rather than physics as the concepts are easier to understand and more intuitive (though equivalent of course). The problem you have is some people believe in side and some don't. It's like that. Side (haha) is a very divisive issue. Some will extol its virtues and love and use it with a passion and some can't get on with it for many a reason, thus hate it and survive without it. Both may do well but the very best can use side as needed. I don't use it much, preferring raw power for stun and screw as my manipulators but I do appreciate those who use it with finesse. I try to be broadminded about it but that's down to wisdom and whisky.
          Thanks mate. Seems like snooker is a lot more of a feel game than I gave it credit for. Maybe that's on of the reasons why I'm s..t at it. That and the 6 pints of guiness every time I play

Comment

• Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
            Think that was Alex Higgins. Could be wrong though mate
            Wow this thread has gone nuts - I think I know the shot you mean - and some Canadians could pot anything.

Comment

Yes you are right. These kind of shots require good feel & touch.

Comment

• Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
                Thanks mate. Seems like snooker is a lot more of a feel game than I gave it credit for. Maybe that's on of the reasons why I'm s..t at it. That and the 6 pints of guiness every time I play
                It's not the 70's and early 80's any more, sobriety is the Name of the Game ;wink:

It certainly is very Subconcious, which is why people find it hard to explain what they have just done, even they do it very well and consistently ie they allow for things without knowing they have allowed for them eg the movement off the path of the OB due to the side on the CB.

The big problem is the TV Coverage, and the numpties like DT. they say side, when they should say which side. More use of Super Slow Mo will show loads of jumping CB's and OB's ie not just DT spunking his pants screaming KICK... Also they never (unless they have to) show the cue hands, which would help people learn what they are doing, and who does what....

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                  If Wilson was playing a swerve shot his cue would be a lot higher then it was. There is no doubt whatsoever that Wilson played the shot as we all saw it
                  He wouldn't need to get his cue up for a minor swerve, such is his timing. Barry Stark mentions the quality of contact in his video. Players who hit the ball well need less side than others to achieve the same effect. Did he play swerve to get a natural potting angle or did he play straight and kick it over. We'd have to call him and he'd probably not remember. Anyway, he got both swerve and kick, job done, great shot.

Comment

• What with Bill... I now think of Cliff when I read "Wilson".

Comment

• Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                      It's not the 70's and early 80's any more, sobriety is the Name of the Game ;wink:

It certainly is very Subconcious, which is why people find it hard to explain what they have just done, even they do it very well and consistently ie they allow for things without knowing they have allowed for them eg the movement off the path of the OB due to the side on the CB.

The big problem is the TV Coverage, and the numpties like DT. they say side, when they should say which side. More use of Super Slow Mo will show loads of jumping CB's and OB's ie not just DT spunking his pants screaming KICK... Also they never (unless they have to) show the cue hands, which would help people learn what they are doing, and who does what....
                      Well, we've still got Ronnie and 'feel' just as we had Alex, Kurt, Wilson and Jimmy back in the day. The war is pretty much over and bots like Selby have won but every so often we'll see some magic from 'feel' and it's so much more special.

*DT can't cope with complex analysis, maybe only SD has the brain for it. Hendry is a bit basic on comms as well.

Comment

He wouldn't need to get his cue up for a minor swerve, such is his timing. Barry Stark mentions the quality of contact in his video. Players who hit the ball well need less side than others to achieve the same effect. Did he play swerve to get a natural potting angle or did he play straight and kick it over. We'd have to call him and he'd probably not remember. Anyway, he got both swerve and kick, job done, great shot.
                        He has played for as much as the red as he can see full on with a shed load of right hand side to kick it in.

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                          He has played for as much as the red as he can see full on with a shed load of right hand side to kick it in.
                          I am not going to disagree but the CB does swerve as well and it all helps. So much so that the ball nearly kicked too far. I think without the swerve and just the kick the ball would have been plumb. With the swerve and kick we see knuckle contact. He's played the shot a tad too well. Lovely touch from Kyren, who was superb in Ronnie tests on the Ronnie Show, kicking Ronnie's butt. Kyren has some talent.

Comment

I am not going to disagree but the CB does swerve as well and it all helps. So much so that the ball nearly kicked too far. I think without the swerve and just the kick the ball would have been plumb. With the swerve and kick we see knuckle contact. He's played the shot a tad too well. Lovely touch from Kyren, who was superb in Ronnie tests on the Ronnie Show, kicking Ronnie's butt. Kyren has some talent.
                            It's a great shot to have in your armory. Good for holding the white when you have a bad angle on a red to hold for the blue to get the right angle to smash the pack up for instance. Once you start using it you won't be able to stop

Comment

• So me and my mate Robbie had another mess around with this tonight. If we blocked the potting angle of a red with another ball very slightly, we COULD NOT get the red to pot, even with lots of attempts.

I have attached a small video we did trying to show this, and as I say, this is only a little demo, but even with 20+ attempts, we could not get the red to "throw" or "kick" in the pocket.

So I think Terry and Vmax could well be right here, and I'll be the first to apologise if they are!

WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                              Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                                So me and my mate Robbie had another mess around with this tonight. If we blocked the potting angle of a red with another ball very slightly, we COULD NOT get the red to pot, even with lots of attempts.

I have attached a small video we did trying to show this, and as I say, this is only a little demo, but even with 20+ attempts, we could not get the red to "throw" or "kick" in the pocket.

So I think Terry and Vmax could well be right here, and I'll be the first to apologise if they are!

Your not taking the cue ball back at the same angle Ted, you lined it up to the right knuckle pulled the cue ball back and lined it up centre pocket, doing that you are asking for incredible throw, I'm not saying you are wrong but you have to pull the cue ball back in a straight line so that the shot is kept the same.
                                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
                                X