No announcement yet.

Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I right here to prefer the red over the blue and they clearly throw to right and left can you guys advise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GbqiJfs2qQ

Comment

• I prefer pink and red, then watching blue (No comment on brown and green)

Comment

• Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
        I prefer pink and red, then watching blue (No comment on brown and green)
        thanks ... much apreciated but you clearly see the red throw to the right and then come back left then right then left and right and left? Maybe I should slow it down in konavia or whatever to show this throw effect properly?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
          thanks ... much apreciated but you clearly see the red throw to the right and then come back left then right then left and right and left? Maybe I should slow it down in konavia or whatever to show this throw effect properly?
          Nah, just line an OB up in a line with the CB to one side of the middle pocket, parallel with top\bottom cushions, then aim Full Ball and hit CB with side opposite to that which the middle pocket i: and watch the OB go in the hole

Comment

• It doesn;t matter if you cue parallel to line of aim, or do that fancy (using the bridge as a) pivot type of method.

As an aside I have watched a bit more of ROS, and yep he tends to use side on every shot.

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
              Well fellas this is my last effort on this subject because if this video doesn't convince you nothing will. First off I will say I should have read all the correspondence I got from Dr Dave as I got all excited when he agreed with my reduced throw theory and didn't look into the rest of the subject and I was wrong, yes certain shots you are reducing throw but my other theory of you can't induce or create throw from a straight shot was , well, just plain wrong. If anyone can't see throw happening here I just give up, I'm not interested in anything else except the obvious fact that the object ball , because of spin , is thrown off its natural path, that is all this subject is about. If you want to practice it ,the video explains exactly how to do it, no swerve no jacking the butt up , no tilting the cue ball, just let the spinning ball do it's work.
              https://youtu.be/GpsVeOYGcu8
              I can't agree more mate.
              I'm afraid some won't though no matter what you show them

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                I can't agree more mate.
                I'm afraid some won't though no matter what you show them
                itsnoteasy and Travis:

I watched the video posted and I noted that Dr. Dave said SIP was topped out at 6*. If that's correct then Travis how did you get around 15* on that pink? If you were correct then an additional 9* had to come from somewhere so even if SIP exists it can't explain everything and there has to be some curving of the cueball. Although I couldn't see I'd bet that pink went into the left side of the pocket.

Is it possible that this effect is a combination of SIT and curve with the SIT being just a minor part of the throw on the OB? I think the curve on the cueball contributes more but perhaps you or Mr. Big Shot will explain how you got the 15* with SIT and since it was pretty dead-in I don't think there was any CIT involved at all and remember 6* is the MAXIMUM SIT according to your guru Dr. Dave.
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Byrom:

No sarcasm allowed here, only insults and born-again spin transfer enthusiasts.
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                    Again Terry you are not telling the whole truth, that's six degrees on a straight shot, that doesn't mean to say that's the maximum for all angles ( at least we are getting somewhere as you now acknowledge it does happen) we are looking at the effects on the object ball, that's why the camera is zoomed into the contact, I don't know what you mean over a short distance , if you throw the ball six degrees and that equates to say five mill over a few inches of travel, that could mean a few inches over a few feet, or easily enough to turn it into or away from a pocket, or do you think the object ball comes back on line? Why does it matter where the cue ball started? If it's spinning and you hit centre line on contact at medium pace you will get throw, being able to play the shot is the hard part, which is where you and Vmax come from, the I can't do it so it doesn't exist, camp, unfortunately that's not how things work, it does exist, you either practice until you can do it, or you don't use it, your choice, but it still exists.
                    BUT, BUT, BUT...I CAN do it. He didn't specify angled or straight shot so the assumption is with both SIT and CIT you can't squeeze out more than 6* (although Mr. B.S. believes he can get a bit more). It matters one hell of a lot where the cueball started because of the angle it contact the OB on. Without seeing the whole shot it is open to controversy as we don't really know the length of the shot or how much spin or where the cueball was hit and where the OB is going. As your bud, Dr. Dave to do the same thing with his camera behind the OB and ask him to use a snooker table and a good cloth with a nice shiny nap and see how much SIT he gets.
                    Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by Little Reggie View Post
                      INE, you're wasting your time. He can't play side xfer with his hands, he's a jabberwocky. I've seen videos of him and his donkey cue action. Google him. It was painful mate. :biggrin-new:
                      I asked you to cut out the insults. And by the way you're basing my present abilities on an 4yr old video under extreme pressure. I wonder if you could hack it as I went on to get to the semis that year. But of course you're too scared to put up any videos of you playing a match aren't you because you're the one with the jabberwocky cue action.
                      Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by Little Reggie View Post
                        Oh please, I'd rather give my cat a game. At least it would be a challenge. Jabberwocky is awful. I know 80 year olds who cue better than that and none of them have ever claimed to make 147s or even tons in competition. I know another guy who claims a HB of 136 but also, like Jabber, struggles to make 30s. It's a huge cliff these guys have dropped off: NOT!
                        Some of my centuries in tournaments have been published in Snooker Scene and my amateur ranking of #30 is also there too. But of course your ability to research is probably limited to Google. I don't struggle to make 30's either but you must. But you go ahead an play your cat as it will probably teach you a few tricks.
                        Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                          Reggie splash, I don't agree with Terry regarding this particular topic on side, throw...etc, but I do think he's a very good player. Yes, I've seen videos of him playing and I didn't find it painful at all. I saw someone who knew what shot to play under tournament conditions (national championships) wearing a full dress code. Do you think you could beat him in an actual snooker match?
                          Thank you aceman. I'm having a hard time believing these folks who say they get 15* of OB throw using side on the CB and even Mr. B.S. agrees with the maximum 6* on SIT but now it's being said that 6* is only on a straight shot and not a cut, even though Dr. Dave didn't specify and there's no way to tell if the video posted by itsnoteasy is a straight shot or a cut and the balls are very close together with no travel.

Do I think CIT and SIT exist. I would say it's likely but I would also say on a snooker cloth with a new nap and smaller balls (maybe) it's much reduced compared to a pool table with bigger pockets and shorter distances. Running your hand with the grain on a new nap feels as smooth as silk so I believe the resistance is reduced somewhat but perhaps the SIT is present at 1*-4* or something. The videos also prove spin can be transferred however the OB sure doesn't spin much.

Dr. Dave's theory as far as I can determine is the CB clings to the OB when there's spin and he even calls that a kick (as in American terminology) but he also says it's a kick as known by snooker players. (IS that right itsnoteasy?) Without a camera running at 10,000fps it's very hard to prove or disprove but there is definitely something happening but it's of no value to me as I can accomplish all the shots shown on the videos, even those that Little Reggie says I'm not capable of.
                          Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                            Some of my centuries in tournaments have been published in Snooker Scene and my amateur ranking of #30 is also there too. But of course your ability to research is probably limited to Google. I don't struggle to make 30's either but you must. But you go ahead an play your cat as it will probably teach you a few tricks.
                            He would teach me more than you could. I have not, ever, come across a poorer coach, with so little knowledge and talent as you possess. I wouldn't take free lessons off you. I don't know any WS coach who would have demeaned himself in writing the pages of rubbish you've chucked up on this topic.
                            Last edited by Little Reggie; 29 August 2017, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                              itsnoteasy and Travis:

I watched the video posted and I noted that Dr. Dave said SIP was topped out at 6*. If that's correct then Travis how did you get around 15* on that pink? If you were correct then an additional 9* had to come from somewhere so even if SIP exists it can't explain everything and there has to be some curving of the cueball. Although I couldn't see I'd bet that pink went into the left side of the pocket.

Is it possible that this effect is a combination of SIT and curve with the SIT being just a minor part of the throw on the OB? I think the curve on the cueball contributes more but perhaps you or Mr. Big Shot will explain how you got the 15* with SIT and since it was pretty dead-in I don't think there was any CIT involved at all and remember 6* is the MAXIMUM SIT according to your guru Dr. Dave.
                              Probably over exaggerated a bit.
                              But it looks more then 6 degrees for sure as I hit the pink on the wrong side of the potting angle.
                              But with bottom/side/declaration I can hold crazy angles with I would say would guess to be around the 15 degree mark.
                              I'll stick a small vid up if you like.
                              Anything technical Big shot is the man to ask. I only know how to play them
                              Last edited by travisbickle; 29 August 2017, 08:28 PM.

Comment

I just wish to know the answer to a really important question if anyone can help me
                                OK, I'll bite. What's the question and is it about snooker or one of your off-subject videos?
                                Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                                X