Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
    There still has to be enough friction between the two balls for one to grab the other and alter it's path, it amounts to the same thing. I don't see how you could get one without the other, it's not push induced throw, as in a squeezed plant, so how could you get spin induced throw without spin transfer?

-
    You do get both but spin transfer ie where the object ball picks up some spin after contact with the CB, is too minimal to cause any deviation of the object balls path (unless a cushion is involved). It certainly doesn't cause the object ball to start taking handbrake turns everywhere, which was what one Mr T Davidson used to believe!

This is quite useful in terms of how to use spin transfer. Whilst doubles are rare in snooker, safety shots are not.

https://youtu.be/_P4opYog-cE

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
      All we are doing is describing what is happening.

You've got some nerve citing religion to us. If you're not trolling, you're monumentally stupid in doing so. You are perfectly within your rights to believe it's the sky pixies that move balls around a table, but we'll stick with scientific explanations, thanks.

Either way, if there are religious fruitcakes around here, it ain't us pal.
      I want everyone to look at this post by Mr. Big Shot, especially Byrom who said it was me doing the insulting. The words 'monumentally stupid' seem to me to be an insult. I'll say it once again, spin induced throw is useless except for the rare use to avoid intervening balls if indeed it is throw and not the cueball curving into the OB. I have not yet seen a video which provides conclusive proof SIT exists in a usable form.

In addition, it's not even worth considering as most playeers don't need to know exactly what's going on as long as they can perform the shots that get around intervening balls. Mr. Big Shot your proof does not satisfy everyone and it's not definitive and this whole exercise of 52 pages has been a total waste of time for all of us. But, keep the faith as I'm sure it will help you to win many pool titles over the coming years.

Sky pixies or not it ain't me doing the trolling but people with faith in SIT who are making this difficult.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        I want everyone to look at this post by Mr. Big Shot, especially Byrom who said it was me doing the insulting. The words 'monumentally stupid' seem to me to be an insult. I'll say it once again, spin induced throw is useless except for the rare use to avoid intervening balls if indeed it is throw and not the cueball curving into the OB. I have not yet seen a video which provides conclusive proof SIT exists in a usable form.

In addition, it's not even worth considering as most playeers don't need to know exactly what's going on as long as they can perform the shots that get around intervening balls. Mr. Big Shot your proof does not satisfy everyone and it's not definitive and this whole exercise of 52 pages has been a total waste of time for all of us. But, keep the faith as I'm sure it will help you to win many pool titles over the coming years.
        Grow a set for Christ sakes!
        It's extremely useful all over the table on all kind of shots. A bit to advanced for you maybe, who knows.
        No one forcing you to come on this thread. But you just can't help to preach to your flock.
        But the facts are we are right and you are wrong and you can't take it.

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
          Grow a set for Christ sakes!
          It's extremely useful all over the table on all kind of shots. A bit to advanced for you maybe, who knows.
          No one forcing you to come on this thread. But you just can't help to preach to your flock.
          But the facts are we are right and you are wrong and you can't take it.
          I like that 'a bit too advanced for you maybe'. Just exactly what are you referring to? There is no way to calculate SIT's effect on the OB and therefore there's no way it can be useful if it can't be repeated.

Travis...even YOU missed that second pink because you either miscalculated or mis-stroked the cueball.

I have been playing snooker and some pool since I was 15yrs old and I've played against the best and have won a few here and there. So exactly what is too advanced for me?

You say no one is forcing you to come on this thread but as you are speaking to me directly I have the good manners to answer you even though you also like to insult me. Also, I have no 'flock' that I'm aware of except for all you critics who can't resist insulting me because I disagree with your conclusions. I noticed vmax has given up on you and I think I will do the same.

Besides, you will always have that built in excuse for missing a pot, 'damn, I must have calculated the amount of throw incorrectly and over-cut the ball' when in reality you failed to deliver your cue straight. Straight delivery is something a player can work on and perfect but SIT and CIT isn't.
          Terry Davidson

Comment

I like that 'a bit too advanced for you maybe'. Just exactly what are you referring to? There is no way to calculate SIT's effect on the OB and therefore there's no way it can be useful if it can't be repeated.

Travis...even YOU missed that second pink because you either miscalculated or mis-stroked the cueball.

I have been playing snooker and some pool since I was 15yrs old and I've played against the best and have won a few here and there. So exactly what is too advanced for me?

You say no one is forcing you to come on this thread but as you are speaking to me directly I have the good manners to answer you even though you also like to insult me. Also, I have no 'flock' that I'm aware of except for all you critics who can't resist insulting me because I disagree with your conclusions. I noticed vmax has given up on you and I think I will do the same.

Besides, you will always have that built in excuse for missing a pot, 'damn, I must have calculated the amount of throw incorrectly and over-cut the ball' when in reality you failed to deliver your cue straight. Straight delivery is something a player can work on and perfect but SIT and CIT isn't.
            Yes it can be repeated. When you are close to the OB it's not that hard at all. More distance the tougher it is to judge.

I put the pink in for Vmax to show him what happens when you swerve the CB.

Im going on various vids of you on YouTube/ Nick Barrow and I simply don't see it. Sorry if that offends you but that's what I think.

I think you'll find I gave up on vmax!!

Comment

• I played earlier and hit 60's , 70'S on a regular basis. Positional play was great to which I didn't have to play a swerve once. The only time I used side was when a cush was involved to keep the CB tight to the next OB or to create a angle on that next OB.

This discussion is finished as far as I am concerned..
              JP Majestic
              3/4
              57"
              17oz
              9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                I played earlier and hit 60's , 70'S on a regular basis. Positional play was great to which I didn't have to play a swerve once. The only time I used side was when a cush was involved to keep the CB tight to the next OB or to create a angle on that next OB.

This discussion is finished as far as I am concerned..
                I find using centre ball all the time totally boring, but each to their own

Your right this thread should've finished ages ago!

Comment

Yes it can be repeated. When you are close to the OB it's not that hard at all. More distance the tougher it is to judge.

I put the pink in for Vmax to show him what happens when you swerve the CB.

Im going on various vids of you on YouTube/ Nick Barrow and I simply don't see it. Sorry if that offends you but that's what I think.

I think you'll find I gave up on vmax!!
                  I believe you're speaking to me so I'll say this: An 8yr old coaching video after a 10yr layoff while I lived in Virginia. I think you're showing your bias if that's how you judge me. Nic spotted 12 things I was doing badly and I have worked on all of them over the past 8 years except for another 1yr layoff recently.

How was your skill level 8yrs ago compared to what it is today. I liked the example you gave on how to miss the pink ball, it was a fine example of how not to play. You could have cut the blue into the middle 1/4-ball and not thrown away the frame.
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

I believe you're speaking to me so I'll say this: An 8yr old coaching video after a 10yr layoff while I lived in Virginia. I think you're showing your bias if that's how you judge me. Nic spotted 12 things I was doing badly and I have worked on all of them over the past 8 years except for another 1yr layoff recently.

How was your skill level 8yrs ago compared to what it is today. I liked the example you gave on how to miss the pink ball, it was a fine example of how not to play. You could have cut the blue into the middle 1/4-ball and not thrown away the frame.
                    8 years ago I had just started playing snooker. I now knock in century's every week. So I have improved a lot I would say.
                    Really!!! They were examples!

Comment

8 years ago I had just started playing snooker. I now knock in century's every week. So I have improved a lot I would say.
                      With a great record like that you should be playing in tournaments and Q School Travis. The centuries you make every week...are they in tournaments, money matches or a friendly with your mates?
                      Terry Davidson

Comment

With a great record like that you should be playing in tournaments and Q School Travis. The centuries you make every week...are they in tournaments, money matches or a friendly with your mates?
                        No. Against mates.
                        If I was making 10 centuries a day I might be tempted. However a century or two a week is absolutely nothing.

Comment

• Still waiting for your answer travis, 'the cue ball pushed off to the left but holds its line', what line is it holding ?
                          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                            Still waiting for your answer travis, 'the cue ball pushed off to the left but holds its line', what line is it holding ?
                            Not the correct one that's for sure!

Comment

Fantastic level to reach in just 8 years Travis, that's not really a long time in club snooker. You must've been locked in your club 24/7 lol. What's your highest break?
                              Last edited by markz; 4 September 2017, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by markz View Post
                                Fantastic level to reach in just 8 years Travis, that's not really a long time in club snooker. You must've been locked in your club 24/7 lol. What's your highest break?
                                126 which was 4 years ago now. Should've beat that many times since but always seem to bulls up the colors lol

Comment

Working...
                                X