Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    j6:

Did you intentionally miss the first pot? There was no audio on the video but it looked like you were trying to explain something. Every pot in your video looked to me like you were hitting BOB or close to it. By the way sarcasm gets you nowhere. I use these shots when they come up, especially around the black so you can believe it's SIT throwing the ball in and still make all the shots and I can believe it's CB curve to BOB and still make all the shots. I'm a skeptic at heart and learned all this old school. In my experience (Occamh's Razor) the most simple solution is likely the correct one and the ONLY way 15* of change from the 1808 contact can be made is with the 2 balls clinging together longer than normal but here we're talking microseconds and I find it hard to believe CB spin causes the balls to cling together longer.

But you have it your way and I'll have it my way. This argument seems to have been going on since 1835 and it still hasn't been solved to everyone's satisfaction. Using your term, straightening the OB is not challenge at all.
    where was i sarcy?

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
      where was i sarcy?
      I took this as sarcasm - 'nowhere near your level in terms of natural ability and achievements' as you are probably twice the player I ever was.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
        Straight on pot :biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new:
        Get the mods to put a poll up to see what members think on this.
        I reckon you'll only get a couple of votes if I'm honest
        don't have to be a Mod to do a survey, any member can (just don't ask me how )
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

so theres no such thing as helping side then? its actually called swerve, and all players/im dong is swerving onto bob? and holding the cb is some odd swerve reaction?
          When you are attempting to hold the cueball you are trying to hit the OB thicker so there's less energy left in the CB. That is the opposite of 'helping side' so I guess could be called 'unhelping side'.

When a player uses helping side he does curl the CB onto BOB but at a steeper angle so there's more energy remaining in the cueball since he makes the angle a little steeper. This is usually referred as running side if a cushion is involved.

But let me ask you a question...you have a fine cut red near the cushion and you're on a 147 so rather than going up for pink of blue you decide to use check side to hold the CB for the black and you know you have to hit it a bit harder to get the CB off the cushion. I've missed these simple shots quite a few times and I'm sure you and others have because check side or 'inside stuff or English' as the pool players call it is a tricky little shot especially to a partially closed pocket on a tighter table. No problem on a pool table though.

A lot of players use helping side all the time on any angled pot as they are comfortable with it and have more confidence, Willie Thorne for example. vmax would be an example of an amateur player. You don't see Ronnie, Hendry, Murphy, Davis using helping side though unless there's a cushion involved in their position.
          Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            don't have to be a Mod to do a survey, any member can (just don't ask me how )
            Thanks Dean, but I'm happy with my conclusions regarding SIT and CIT. CIT exists on an angled pot and you can increase it by shooting harder. SIT does exist also but not enough to effect the path of the OB or changing the contact point on the OB from BOB to some spot on the OB that's up to 15* removed from BOB. Now that would be magic I think, saying the CB spin causes the 2 balls to stick together like a 'mini-kick' as said by Dr. Dave.
            Terry Davidson

Comment

I took this as sarcasm - 'nowhere near your level in terms of natural ability and achievements' as you are probably twice the player I ever was.

anyone whos made x3 147s one being against a top pro like bob chaperon, whilst only taking up the game properly in there 40s. never mind winning comps in the uk beating class players no doubt, is a remarkable player.
              just think what could have been if you hadnt joined the navy at 17 and wasted 23yes on a boat., we can all see you like a scarp so, trophys were waiting.

Comment

anyone whos made x3 147s one being against a top pro like bob chaperon, whilst only taking up the game properly in there 40s. never mind winning comps in the uk beating class players no doubt, is a remarkable player.
                just think what could have been if you hadnt joined the navy at 17 and wasted 23yes on a boat., we can all see you like a scarp so, trophys were waiting.
                To be fair it was on my own match table at the Top Spot in Glenfield (near Leicester) and it was just practice where we decided to go for everything, have 10 frames and then go to the wholesaler to get some Labatt's Blue which Bob liked. I like to think I tuned him up in those 2 weeks for the first ranking tourney he won but probably not. Willy used to call me up for practice if he couldn't get Cliff although again that was always potting practice.
                Terry Davidson

Comment

Guess your memory is working well. I never see the Navy time as a waste since I got a couple of free degrees out of it and was on full pay at the same time. Also traveled to over 30 countries too. Ever try to play in Bermuda? The slowest table I have ever seen in my life.
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

Guess your memory is working well. I never see the Navy time as a waste since I got a couple of free degrees out of it and was on full pay at the same time. Also traveled to over 30 countries too. Ever try to play in Bermuda? The slowest table I have ever seen in my life.
                    Sounds like you have a lot of life experience Terry, lucky man; and a few 147's to boot, well done.

Played pool in Barbados once, virtually no cloth so not the same as a wet cloth in Bermuda!
                    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

j6:

Did you intentionally miss the first pot? There was no audio on the video but it looked like you were trying to explain something. Every pot in your video looked to me like you were hitting BOB or close to it. By the way sarcasm gets you nowhere. I use these shots when they come up, especially around the black so you can believe it's SIT throwing the ball in and still make all the shots and I can believe it's CB curve to BOB and still make all the shots. I'm a skeptic at heart and learned all this old school. In my experience (Occamh's Razor) the most simple solution is likely the correct one and the ONLY way 15* of change from the 1808 contact can be made is with the 2 balls clinging together longer than normal but here we're talking microseconds and I find it hard to believe CB spin causes the balls to cling together longer.

But you have it your way and I'll have it my way. This argument seems to have been going on since 1835 and it still hasn't been solved to everyone's satisfaction. Using your term, straightening the OB is not challenge at all.

Terry, Terry, Terry...

The argument was - please pay attention here - PUT TO BED in 1835. That two slow witted snooker players, two centuries later, still don't understand something is neither here nor there. Proven by science. Proven by millions of players. Proven as conclusively as it is back spin on the CB causes it to race backwards after hitting an OB.

NOT a theory
                      NOT an argument
                      NOT a discussion

And i feel my IQ diminishing every time you use that religious analogy. It's completely cringe mate. Don't you realise YOU'RE the religious fanatics and WE'RE the scientists? Hasn't that penny dropped yet?

It really should.

Comment

• Hang on, Terry has three times the amount of maximums as pottr?

#speechless #revising decision to stop betting.

Comment

To be fair it was on my own match table at the Top Spot in Glenfield (near Leicester) and it was just practice where we decided to go for everything, have 10 frames and then go to the wholesaler to get some Labatt's Blue which Bob liked. I like to think I tuned him up in those 2 weeks for the first ranking tourney he won but probably not. Willy used to call me up for practice if he couldn't get Cliff although again that was always potting practice.
                          sparing with a top pro and your both going for everything, so lots of mad shots with gear, check, in and out of balk to stay on the black then? would of like to have seen one of those, you remember any of them or not really?

Comment

• Terry ,

J6 is not the only one who's using this term ( straightening the OB ) . You ask pro's and they all can tell you about it .*

for god sake man ,* wake up.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                              Terry, Terry, Terry...

The argument was - please pay attention here - PUT TO BED in 1835. That two slow witted snooker players, two centuries later, still don't understand something is neither here nor there. Proven by science. Proven by millions of players. Proven as conclusively as it is back spin on the CB causes it to race backwards after hitting an OB.

NOT a theory
                              NOT an argument
                              NOT a discussion

And i feel my IQ diminishing every time you use that religious analogy. It's completely cringe mate. Don't you realise YOU'RE the religious fanatics and WE'RE the scientists? Hasn't that penny dropped yet?

It really should.
                              Then you have a very bad attitude for someone who says he's a scientist. All I'm doing is disagreeing with your 'science' since I've not seen anything yet which proves your theory conclusively and that's what science is supposed to do.
                              Terry Davidson

Comment

sparing with a top pro and your both going for everything, so lots of mad shots with gear, check, in and out of balk to stay on the black then? would of like to have seen one of those, you remember any of them or not really?
                                I remember in that one making 2 shots which were chancy, one to the yellow pocket instead of the middle to stay on the black and one which I find tough even today, a red down the side cushion but not frozen with the rest. Everything else worked pretty well. Bob had 3 centuries against me and I only had the one so he won anyway, which goes to prove a 147 is not a match winner unless it's the final frame like Ronnie against Selby in the UK.
                                Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                                X