Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    I think you need to pay attention Ramon and understand what you're talking about or replying to. We are talking here of very slow shots with tons of side and most with drag. For goodness sake man, it's common knowledge that a power shot with side will initially deflect and is moving too fast for the side to take any effect on the cueball so it stays on its initial line. I play plenty of these shots as almost every power shot I play has a little bit of left side on the CB.

But when we play shots like the Barry Stark video on the blue where he's going around a ball or the Travis one where there's an intervening ball then the shots have to be played slow in order for the side to grab. I do not consider this an attack on my knowledge as it's just a few people like yourself and a few others who don't really grasp what's happening with side where there are no cushions involved. They and you are saying they are experts and that I know nothing but I play these shots all the time and always have done and I know what I'm talking about.

Can you explain why when an angled pot, say a 7/8-ball is hit with extreme side and high power we see absolutely no SIT however under those 2 conditions it should be at maximum. If SIT truly exists then it is just a very small part of the complete energy transfer to the OB. (Maximum power transfer takes place at full-ball and minimum at 90* cut). Answer this question and you'll get a Nobel Prize from Travis. (Travis, you are not required to answer this as I'm talking to Ramon who seems a little lost).
    Travis , where the hell are you ? safe me !!!

You mean like what happens here ?

Looks like many players around the world are lost , Terry . Does'nt look good .

Comment

• It was to Ramon actually who always seems to have an opinion but seems to be lacking some of the required knowledge and experience of an accomplished snooker player. In answer to Travis...NO!!!
      Bit of a pop culture reference in there, T

Comment

Actually not that good. If you remember we had our 'discussion' which started when you couldn't understand why I didn't go for a 147 all the time I practiced with the line-up, which kick off our discussion and I stated I had only had 3 x 147 but the first one was in practice by myself, so was the second and the third was against an opponent but not in a match. I don't count breaks done in solo practice no matter how high they are, but like pottr I would love to run more in solo practice anyway, just for some more confidence. The best I've done lately was a 102 the other day and an 87 the day after(not line-up) but those are nothing to brag about. For me it's the endurance now as I have 3 frames by myself and I'm beat but I keep telling myself that I'm taking all the shots so that's like 6 frames practice.
        I think this is Good Terry, I play every day and that is the level that I am achieving now, it took a long time to get there and it is not to take lightly. I have the hardest time to keep score when playing or practicing, i know i have make high runs over 100 in practice but dont care that I dont know because they do not count, i mostly try to clear the table and i have achieved that 3 times in the last 6 months, a breakthrough for me. Keep up the good play and C U on the baize. Cheers
        I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

• Ramon, that video doesn't show any examples of SIT... I don't think you are commenting on the same aspect we are, my friend

That shot isn't even that difficult... Gets almost as much applause as a plant
          Last edited by pottr; 11 September 2017, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
            Ramon, that video doesn't show any examples of SIT... I don't think you are commenting on the same aspect we are, my friend

I'm sorry Ramon, but I have to agree with pottr here as it looks like you have no clue about what this discussion is. It's about Spin Induced Object Ball Throw called SIT for short. It is throw induced (supposedly) on the OB by spin on the cueball. And pottr is right on your video as he put a video up of doing exactly that although it looked better on TV because of the finer cloths and it does get about the same reaction as a plant or a double.

We are not discussing spin put on a cueball here because that's pretty straightforward or at least I thought it was.
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Ramon, that video doesn't show any examples of SIT... I don't think you are commenting on the same aspect we are, my friend

In other words , what you're saying is : this is the natural angle to pot this brown ?

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• YES! 100%, the angle of pot will always be the angle of the pot.

You have not followed the thread.

Hitting there on the white will 'deflect' the white off the line of the shot, so you have to compensate...

That is not what this thread is about.

This thread is about when you strike the white with side, you can infact transfer some of that rotating side onto the object ball and cause it to swerve (throw) not the white... the brown in that case.

Spin (that you put on the white) Induced (transferring to the brown) Throw (the brown in effect deviating from the line due to the imparted spin)

Moreover, you bashed **** out of me on Friday and you weren't even arguing the same point!

TREASON! x

Comment

I'm sorry Ramon, but I have to agree with pottr here as it looks like you have no clue about what this discussion is. It's about Spin Induced Object Ball Throw called SIT for short. It is throw induced (supposedly) on the OB by spin on the cueball. And pottr is right on your video as he put a video up of doing exactly that although it looked better on TV because of the finer cloths and it does get about the same reaction as a plant or a double.

We are not discussing spin put on a cueball here because that's pretty straightforward or at least I thought it was.

KW shot, the one travis also played.
                  tbh , i do'nt think you can folow what my point is .
                  As long as you can'nt undrstand the concept of the side, you wont be able to understand that one too.
                  What you and Vmax are suggesting here is that the CB in a distance of 7 inches makes sum kind of magical swimming/ turne and hit the OB frome a diff angle.
                  That's simply impossible.

Comment

• I'm sorry Ramon, but I have to agree with pottr here as it looks like you have no clue about what this discussion is. It's about Spin Induced Object Ball Throw called SIT for short. It is throw induced (supposedly) on the OB by spin on the cueball.
                    Yeah, Ramon's had a bit of a moment on this one.

And pottr is right on your video as he put a video up of doing exactly that although it looked better on TV because of the finer cloths and it does get about the same reaction as a plant or a double.
                    I agree, mine was far better... More pressure in my snooker room than in any of those tournaments

A genuine banging your head against the wall moment.

Comment

• KW shot, the one travis also played.
                      tbh , i do'nt think you can folow what my point is .
                      As long as you can'nt undrstand the concept of the side, you wont be able to understand that one too.
                      What you and Vmax are suggesting here is that the CB in a distance of 7 inches makes sum kind of magical swimming/ turne and hit the OB frome a diff angle.
                      That's simply impossible.
                      RAMON, OMG

Terry and Vmax are the ones on the thread saying that does NOT happen... You're bashing the ones you are in agreement with!

Comment

YES! 100%, the angle of pot will always be the angle of the pot.

You have not followed the thread.

Hitting there on the white will 'deflect' the white off the line of the shot, so you have to compensate...

That is not what this thread is about.

This thread is about when you strike the white with side, you can infact transfer some of that rotating side onto the object ball and cause it to swerve (throw) not the white... the brown in that case.

Spin (that you put on the white) Induced (transferring to the brown) Throw (the brown in effect deviating from the line due to the imparted spin)

Moreover, you bashed **** out of me on Friday and you weren't even arguing the same point!

TREASON! x
                        Realy ?? so according to your imagination if you do the Center ball striking here , from this position , you can pott the brown ?
                        right ??
                        Wow !!!!!!!

Read post nr 758 please !!

Comment

RAMON, OMG

Terry and Vmax are the ones on the thread saying that does NOT happen... You're bashing the ones you are in agreement with!
                          the way i see it , Terry and Vmax are saying by using side the CB makes some kind of swerve and approach the OB from a diff angle in order to alter the OB's path .
                          Are you saying they did'nt say that ?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                            Realy ?? so according to your imagination if you do the Center ball striking here , from this position , you can pott the brown ?
                            right ??
                            Wow !!!!!!!

Read post nr 758 please !!

The video still doesn't even show a cue so how can you tell how it's lined up? It's purely showing where you strike the white for this shot!

Comment

• Ramon, you've sewn yourself up here... I'm trying to keep polite and constructive... If you were next to me on a table, I could explain this in seconds and you would be like: "oooooohhhh, that's what you mean" I promise you.

What you're describing, no offense... but it's really an intermediate part of positional play. Playing with side causes the white to deflect... Great stuff, we get it, you get it and I got it when I was around the 50 break level.

It's basic.

Not what we are talking about. That shot is exclusively irrelevant to this topic.

Comment

Actually not that good. If you remember we had our 'discussion' which started when you couldn't understand why I didn't go for a 147 all the time I practiced with the line-up, which kick off our discussion and I stated I had only had 3 x 147 but the first one was in practice by myself, so was the second and the third was against an opponent but not in a match. I don't count breaks done in solo practice no matter how high they are, but like pottr I would love to run more in solo practice anyway, just for some more confidence. The best I've done lately was a 102 the other day and an 87 the day after(not line-up) but those are nothing to brag about. For me it's the endurance now as I have 3 frames by myself and I'm beat but I keep telling myself that I'm taking all the shots so that's like 6 frames practice.
                                very mercurial character you are tel, still would of liked to have seen you in full flow back in the day..
                                Last edited by j6uk; 11 September 2017, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X