Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post
    J6 & pottr,

You both did that ""3/4 red holding shot"" for the black on the green side.

Is it me, or did you both say differently. J said left hand side to hold his CB for his low black and pott said he was using right hand side to hold his CB for his low black.??.

Just curious dudes.
    From the green side with the CB on the pink side and 3/4 black would require RH side to be held. However, as my knowledge of side is under question perhaps you had better ask BS or Travis. CB has to make contact thicker than 3/4 pot in order to hold.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
      I took the vids down.

gonna record them again but a bit clearer.

The tin of beans idea is good

I've said all along that I could be wrong... many times. I won't lose sleep if I am because it really is irrelevant knowledge in terms of your standard at snooker.

Talks a good game?

Anytime you're ready for a best of 19 biggie, we'll film that and let the footage do the talking.

I've played 4/5 people off the forum... who have you played?
      You'll never get an answer as biggy likes to keep himself a mystery. I want to know the betting line if you set it up though and of course biggy has to reveal his real name so the bookies can make the odds.
      Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
        Yay!

(My first ton anorl).
        It belongs to vmax, he started the string. I said you only deserve special mention
        Terry Davidson

Comment

J6 & pottr,

You both did that ""3/4 red holding shot"" for the black on the green side.

Is it me, or did you both say differently. J said left hand side to hold his CB for his low black and pott said he was using right hand side to hold his CB for his low black.??.

Just curious dudes.
          If you are cueing from the green side of the table it's left hand side.
          Pottr just gave an example of what happens when you put right hand side on the shot hence the CB ending on thè top cushion.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
            To be fair, it's not an easy thing to control. The likes of vmax mastering it is doubtful, and potting in snooker is difficult enough as it is.
            I tried this exercise with only the CB using side and drag and I got 2" with the nap and about 2.5" against the nap on an ironed table. I will try this one both ways and see what I get. I think the 9" is a little much though
            Terry Davidson

Comment

• Hahaha, hang on hang on - Trav is saying left and Tel is right. We have another debate now .
              JP Majestic
              3/4
              57"
              17oz
              9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                I disagree Pottr.

This stuff is good to learn for precise break building.
                I'll agree with you somewhat on this one Travis. However I've been watching Ronnie and a few others on youtube in the little spare time I have after answering you and biggie all the time. I haven't noticed Ronnie or the others using this type of shot. It's a very good bet they know nothing about SIT but a good bet that they are all aware of using side to hold the cueball.

And in his 147 Ronnie could have used it a few times. For me to use it would depend on how hard the pot is and what other options I have and I would leave SIT until my last option. I'm not talking about avoiding an intervening ball but rather just holding the CB for precise position. Also to keep in the back of your head, these damned pro tables are so slick the pros will generally use a cushion with check side to hold the white on the black, but of course they want a 3/4 to 1/2-ball black anyway.
                Terry Davidson

Comment

If you are cueing from the green side of the table it's left hand side.
                  Pottr just gave an example of what happens when you put right hand side on the shot hence the CB ending on thè top cushion.
                  You have that exactly wrong Travis. With the CB above the black towards the pink and on a 3/4-ball it has to be RH side to curve the CB towards the sweet spot or in you SIT the RH side will induce a kick to the right. No, wait a minute, in your SIT I assume the reverse side is the kick so you would use LH side to kick the CB to the right and miss the pot I think. Try it first though because I do this shot all the time with top right to bring the CB around 2 cushions and I'm certain you do to if you're running tons every week.

You're shaking my faith in your ability
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

Hahaha, hang on hang on - Trav is saying left and Tel is right. We have another debate now .
                    It's only left if the CB is level or below the black, but Travis is wrong here as it will take RH side to pot the black but you of course can pot it with left but CB wouldn't hold. Maybe Travis watches himself in a mirror?

Just had another thought, maybe it's incorrect terminology because of the TV coverage. Technically when the CB is between the black and the top cushion it's 'above' the black and 'below' the black if CB is towards pink.

So to make myself perfectly clear, the CB is 'below' the black and towards the pink and on the green side then RH side is required. If CB is 'above' the black or more towards the top cushion then LH side is required to hold the CB.
                    Last edited by Terry Davidson; 14 September 2017, 12:45 PM.
                    Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                      You have that exactly wrong Travis. With the CB above the black towards the pink and on a 3/4-ball it has to be RH side to curve the CB towards the sweet spot or in you SIT the RH side will induce a kick to the right. No, wait a minute, in your SIT I assume the reverse side is the kick so you would use LH side to kick the CB to the right and miss the pot I think. Try it first though because I do this shot all the time with top right to bring the CB around 2 cushions and I'm certain you do to if you're running tons every week.

You're shaking my faith in your ability
                      lol this is why this thread is so so long.
                      Both J6 and Pottr's reds were played with left hand side to hold for the black.
                      Are you looking at the right vid Tel!

Comment

It's only left if the CB is level or below the black, but Travis is wrong here as it will take RH side to pot the black but you of course can pot it with left but CB wouldn't hold. Maybe Travis watches himself in a mirror?
                        Who is talking about the black lol

Comment

OK, pottr's vid was with a red, this is his Video 1 and that was the same as having the CB technically 'below' the red on a 3/4-pot. From green side that has to be RH side to hold the CB. If I remember the j6 video, the first red was a cut-back red with the CB sort of level with the red and for certain j6 used RH side because the CB came off the cushion to the right for the pink position (although he missed the red by catching it thick).

Our difference of opinion is either over the technical terms or else you have a weird idea of how to stop a CB. You have to make a thicker contact with the OB in order to hold the CB.
                          Terry Davidson

Comment

• On those reds guys I normally play a strong hit above centre shot to come off the black cush.

I did play the red J6 and pott was hitting though too and with LHD ( 7 to 8 o'clock ) which did hold the CB for a slightly low black and , yes, you have to aim thicker. Never played with RHD.

Maybe I am wrong due to way I would normally play them but ithe way I normally play them gets me on the black, normally lowish too.
                            JP Majestic
                            3/4
                            57"
                            17oz
                            9.5mm Elk

Comment

OK, pottr's vid was with a red, this is his Video 1 and that was the same as having the CB technically 'below' the red on a 3/4-pot. From green side that has to be RH side to hold the CB. If I remember the j6 video, the first red was a cut-back red with the CB sort of level with the red and for certain j6 used RH side because the CB came off the cushion to the right for the pink position (although he missed the red by catching it thick).

Our difference of opinion is either over the technical terms or else you have a weird idea of how to stop a CB. You have to make a thicker contact with the OB in order to hold the CB.
                              No it's definitely left hand side to hold for the black Tel
                              The J6 shot is the one that Pottr played..red above the black. Play this shot with right hand side and the CB goes to low.
                              Last edited by travisbickle; 14 September 2017, 12:55 PM.

Comment

It was throtts asking about the black. He says he uses LH side to hold the CB on this shot however he ends up 'low' on the black, in other words closer to the cushion. A cut-back black is a harder shot which also dictates the CB must go up table but if throtts used RH side to hold the CB for an angle the other way he has choices on where the CB can go, either above or below the black.
                                Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                                X