Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post

TV coverage they say 'below the black' to mean closer to the cushion, and 'high' on the black to mean between black and pink spots. If you are above the black in correct terminology then it would be a cut-back black and LH side is correct but if you are low on the black with correct terminology then it would be RH side.
    All posters need to know they are on the same page before a debate.

Yes, CB below the black means it is between the black on its spot and the top cushion, so a cut back blind pocket pot - CB high on that black means the opposite , towards the pink spot and beyond obviously..Yes, thats how the TV comms explain it and the black spot is always top of a snooker table.
    JP Majestic
    3/4
    57"
    17oz
    9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
      My shot was played with right hand side
      Cripes,,,,

I never play those reds like that , normally i punch them in striking above centre but not to high as it becomes blatant top spin shot.

Thats why I started this off because J6 was hitting the red with LHD, green side and yourself green side using RHD, which you just confirmed..So both you guys played it differently. Yikes.
      JP Majestic
      3/4
      57"
      17oz
      9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post
        All posters need to know they are on the same page before a debate.

Yes, CB below the black means it is between the black on its spot and the top cushion, so a cut back blind pocket pot - CB high on that black means the opposite , towards the pink spot and beyond obviously..Yes, thats how the TV comms explain it and the black spot is always top of a snooker table.
        As you say the "black cushion" is known as the Top Cushion, being furthest from the baulk end where the baulk cushion is also known as the bottom cushion.
        So being "below" the black will be the pink side of the black as seen from the baulk; "above" or "high" the black is between the black and top cushion - or that is how I have always known and read it as
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
          if its turning onto bob regardless of what side it should make the cb run away after contact, i dont see how you hold the cb wit your theory.
          its all getting a bit messy tel
          j6...come on, you know this to be a fact. If you have a dead-on shot and want to hold the CB you stun the ball. If you have an angled pot and want to hold it you must get the CB into a more dead-in place and therefore will use RH side on this shot exactly as pottr says he did. There cannot be any other answer. To anyone like throtts who is getting confused, just use 'inside stuff' or the opposite of helping or running side.

Travis is the one who is confused I think. It cannot possible be anything else and I challenge Travis to play a 3/4-black off its spot with the cueball 'high' (towards the pink area) and manage to not only pot the black BUT HOLD THE SPOT. I say the only way this can be accomplished is with RH side and drag to slow down the CB. You need some drag in order to hit the cueball harder to get the required spin, but slow it down enough for the side to grip.

Now on the other hand you can play the shot exactly how the pros do and just use centre-ball stun and come off the cushion because there is less danger but of course their tables are perfect and fast. I would use the cushion myself because I learned from the pros habits. Ronnie is a master at this and uses a touch of side to get the CB exactly where he wants it without considering SIT.
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Hahaha,,, This is why Dean debates get messy online because we all have different ways of putting various scenarios.

Commentary has always said "" his low on the black though "", meaning between the black spot and the top cushion ( top cushion = black cushion too )..
            JP Majestic
            3/4
            57"
            17oz
            9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              As you say the "black cushion" is known as the Top Cushion, being furthest from the baulk end where the baulk cushion is also known as the bottom cushion.
              So being "below" the black will be the pink side of the black as seen from the baulk; "above" or "high" the black is between the black and top cushion - or that is how I have always known and read it as
              That is the correct terminology from the billiards days. Unfortunately the TV commentator use what they see of their screens so the CB in the pink are is said by them to be 'above' or 'high' on the black. Confusion abounds.
              Terry Davidson

Comment

Only LH side if you are level or above the black (meaning towards the top cushion using the correct terminology). Even if you don't believe the CB is curling you have to admit in order to hold the CB you have to hit the black thicker. If you end up hitting it dead-on as j6 asked then you'll kill all the energy in the CB. So in my curve theory I would curve the CB into a thicker contact with the black.

Do you get exactly the opposite effect with SIT? If so I've been playing these shots wrong all my life (but still making them and getting position somehow).
                Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                My shot was played with right hand side
                Right hand side to hold for the black is the wrong side! Doesn't anyone know how side works on here lol

Comment

Cripes,,,,

I never play those reds like that , normally i punch them in striking above centre but not to high as it becomes blatant top spin shot.

Thats why I started this off because J6 was hitting the red with LHD, green side and yourself green side using RHD, which you just confirmed..So both you guys played it differently. Yikes.
                  I think it's a terminology problem and j6 would have played his with 'inside stuff' or RH side.
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                    TD is in another muddle. J6 and Pottr's shot are played with left hand side.
                    Just as well TD doesn't use side when he's not using cushions!
                    See pottr's reply. It's you who is a bit confused here. Use the correct terminology for a snooker player so you don't confuse everyone on here who is trying to learn how to play these shots. Ain't in no muddle here. Just went down and played the same shot as pottr and gee, was I surprised!!!!! It was EXECTLY as I said it was...INSIDE STUFF OR THE OPPOSITE OF HELPING SIDE.

Remember everyone, Travis and Biggy are more pool players so to them the top of the table is the baulk area and the bottom of the table is the black area. I'm pretty sure j6 will agree in the shot described it will take inside stuff or RH side.
                    Terry Davidson

Comment

Hahaha,,, This is why Dean debates get messy online because we all have different ways of putting various scenarios.

Commentary has always said "" his low on the black though "", meaning between the black spot and the top cushion ( top cushion = black cushion too )..
                      Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                      That is the correct terminology from the billiards days. Unfortunately the TV commentator use what they see of their screens so the CB in the pink are is said by them to be 'above' or 'high' on the black. Confusion abounds.
                      TV commentators have a lot to answer for, not knowing what is or not is a kick, above/below a ball, not knowing where the cue ball is going :biggrin: :wink:

instead of using above/low/high/below, "pink-side" and "cushion-side" may be better
                      Last edited by DeanH; 14 September 2017, 03:37 PM.
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Now on the other hand you can play the shot exactly how the pros do and just use centre-ball stun and come off the cushion because there is less danger but of course their tables are perfect and fast. I would use the cushion myself because I learned from the pros habits. Ronnie is a master at this and uses a touch of side to get the CB exactly where he wants it without considering SIT.
                        Yes , I have not re checked J's vid, but thats how I said above I would have played those reds, just above centre or 11 o'clock for a tight CB finish on the black. You have to cue these very sweetly with that nice lose grip.

Obviously I realise though that j and pott were just giving examples of the CB reaction on their vids.
                        JP Majestic
                        3/4
                        57"
                        17oz
                        9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

I wouldn't play it like that. I'd use a ****ing cushion, lol

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                            Right hand side to hold for the black is the wrong side! Doesn't anyone know how side works on here lol
                            Only you sunshine. See my challenge and then blame it on the commentators you watch on TV as this who string is their fault. It absolutely has to be inside stuff to (as you and j6 say) to 'straighten the CB'. Actually you are curving the CB as every video, even your own, has shown (the one with the lines shows it best).

If you can pot a 3/4-black from the green side with cueball closer to pink area than top cushion and hold the cueball absolutely still then I'l say you're absolutely correct Travis and I owe you an apology, but put a video up first as I would have to see this proof.
                            Terry Davidson

Comment

Only LH side if you are level or above the black (meaning towards the top cushion using the correct terminology). Even if you don't believe the CB is curling you have to admit in order to hold the CB you have to hit the black thicker. If you end up hitting it dead-on as j6 asked then you'll kill all the energy in the CB. So in my curve theory I would curve the CB into a thicker contact with the black.

Do you get exactly the opposite effect with SIT? If so I've been playing these shots wrong all my life (but still making them and getting position somehow).
                              Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                              See pottr's reply. It's you who is a bit confused here. Use the correct terminology for a snooker player so you don't confuse everyone on here who is trying to learn how to play these shots. Ain't in no muddle here. Just went down and played the same shot as pottr and gee, was I surprised!!!!! It was EXECTLY as I said it was...INSIDE STUFF OR THE OPPOSITE OF HELPING SIDE.

Remember everyone, Travis and Biggy are more pool players so to them the top of the table is the baulk area and the bottom of the table is the black area. I'm pretty sure j6 will agree in the shot described it will take inside stuff or RH side.
                              Not me that's for sure. 100% left hand side is the shot. No wonder this thread has over 100 pages lol

Comment

• Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

I don't know how you can level at me that I don't know how to use side?

I played the shot on camera to the desired effect.

This debate can only be sorted if we all got together and filmed the session.

I'm game and would travel... any takers?

If not... then I bow out and wish you all the best.

Just seems like another irrelevant thought to worry about at the table for me.

Peace x
                                Last edited by pottr; 14 September 2017, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X