Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    I wouldn't play it like that. I'd use a ****ing cushion, lol
    So would I because the nice bouncy cushions were put there for a reason but Travis prefers to use side because he prefers it but obviously the wrong side for what he wants to do. I'm in an alternate universe I think or looking through a mirror.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
      To anyone like throtts who is getting confused, just use 'inside stuff' or the opposite of helping or running side.

It cannot possible be anything else and I challenge Travis to play a 3/4-black off its spot with the cueball 'high' (towards the pink area) and manage to not only pot the black BUT HOLD THE SPOT.
      Just surprised how J was LHS and pott was RHS.

I have never seen a player hold the black spot after a 3/4 black ball spotted pot. Whoever stated holding the spot, did they mean literally holding the spot?. Sorry, but I can't see it. I just come off the top cush for the next red.

I try to see how much I can hold the CB later on 12" distant shot..
      JP Majestic
      3/4
      57"
      17oz
      9.5mm Elk

Comment

I wouldn't play it like that. I'd use a ****ing cushion, lol

Those ""pink handbags"" are out again..Haha..
        JP Majestic
        3/4
        57"
        17oz
        9.5mm Elk

Comment

Only LH side if you are level or above the black (meaning towards the top cushion using the correct terminology). Even if you don't believe the CB is curling you have to admit in order to hold the CB you have to hit the black thicker. If you end up hitting it dead-on as j6 asked then you'll kill all the energy in the CB. So in my curve theory I would curve the CB into a thicker contact with the black.

Do you get exactly the opposite effect with SIT? If so I've been playing these shots wrong all my life (but still making them and getting position somehow).
          Originally Posted by pottr View Post
          I don't know how you can level at me that I don't know how to use side?

I played the shot on camera to the desired effect.

This debate can only be sorted if we all got together and filmed the session.

I'm game and would travel... any takers?

If not... then I bow out and wish you all the best.

Just seems like another irrelevant thought to worry about at the table for me.

Peace x
          Your shot. Aim 2 inch to the left of the pocket with left hand side. Red will throw to the right and you hold the spot. Playing the right hand side makes the shot a lot harder to hold.

Comment

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post
            Just surprised how J was LHS and pott was RHS.

I have never seen a player hold the black spot after a 3/4 black ball spotted pot. Whoever stated holding the spot, did they mean literally holding the spot?. Sorry, but I can't see it. I just come off the top cush for the next red.

It is possible but Travis can't possible do it with helping side. He will never be able to do it. But this type of shot is normally used for an almost straight red where you want to hold position and most good players would probably use stun or drag and bad players would use a very slow shot. With stun the CB will go a very short distance 90* to the OB and shooting slow will put ij just past the red at a slight angle off the cut.

Not to start another argument but if you take any angled pot and hit it with perfect stun the CB will come off at 90* to the pot. You can then change that angle by using various amounts of top and screw. Try it and see, works every time. Nic calls the 'The Perfect Stun Angle Lesson'.
            Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
              Your shot. Aim 2 inch to the left of the pocket with left hand side. Red will throw to the right and you hold the spot. Playing the right hand side makes the shot a lot harder to hold.
              Absolute BOLLOCKS!!! The freaking CB will throw to the right and hit BOB for goodness sakes and make the pot but will NEVER hold the spot using helping side. It's impossible and all you're doing is confusing players on here who are anxious to try the SIT stuff.

BS has already said SIT disappears with more power, you need the high spin and low power usually with drag.

I am now really doubting your snooker abilities. Maybe physics is different with pool.
              Terry Davidson

Comment

Only LH side if you are level or above the black (meaning towards the top cushion using the correct terminology). Even if you don't believe the CB is curling you have to admit in order to hold the CB you have to hit the black thicker. If you end up hitting it dead-on as j6 asked then you'll kill all the energy in the CB. So in my curve theory I would curve the CB into a thicker contact with the black.

Do you get exactly the opposite effect with SIT? If so I've been playing these shots wrong all my life (but still making them and getting position somehow).
                Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                It is possible but Travis can't possible do it with helping side. He will never be able to do it. But this type of shot is normally used for an almost straight red where you want to hold position and most good players would probably use stun or drag and bad players would use a very slow shot. With stun the CB will go a very short distance 90* to the OB and shooting slow will put ij just past the red at a slight angle off the cut.

Not to start another argument but if you take any angled pot and hit it with perfect stun the CB will come off at 90* to the pot. You can then change that angle by using various amounts of top and screw. Try it and see, works every time. Nic calls the 'The Perfect Stun Angle Lesson'.
                The way you would play it you would be fighting the throw and impossible to hold. This is basic stuff, Jesus!

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                  The way you would play it you would be fighting the throw and impossible to hold. This is basic stuff, Jesus!
                  No, if you shoot the shot slow you overcome the 2mm of CB throw you initially get. For goodness sakes man, on your own shot on your earlier video on the pink you used RH side to throw the CB left and then spin a bit right to overcome the throw.

Think about this then...if you removed the intervening red and played the shot EXACTLY the same way you would use RH side and pot the pink. vmax challenged you to use LH side but he knew you couldn't pot the pink as you would hit the red. In this case if you removed the red and used LH side your aim would be completely different. Look again at your own video (or pottr's or j6's) and you can see you used 'inside side' and since you didn't hit the red it's as if the red isn't there.

It's inside side all the way for shots where you want to hold the CB. There's no possible other answer but prove me wrong when you get home and play exactly the same shot with no intervening red but use your left hand side. You would have to aim off to the right to compensate for CB throw however if you used LH with drag the aiming point would be very close to centre-ball depending on how much side and speed you used.

On that video you said your intent was to hold the CB a bit and have it roll straight through for a red and you used INSIDE side.
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

j6...come on, you know this to be a fact. If you have a dead-on shot and want to hold the CB you stun the ball. If you have an angled pot and want to hold it you must get the CB into a more dead-in place and therefore will use RH side on this shot exactly as pottr says he did. There cannot be any other answer. To anyone like throtts who is getting confused, just use 'inside stuff' or the opposite of helping or running side.

Travis is the one who is confused I think. It cannot possible be anything else and I challenge Travis to play a 3/4-black off its spot with the cueball 'high' (towards the pink area) and manage to not only pot the black BUT HOLD THE SPOT. I say the only way this can be accomplished is with RH side and drag to slow down the CB. You need some drag in order to hit the cueball harder to get the required spin, but slow it down enough for the side to grip.

Now on the other hand you can play the shot exactly how the pros do and just use centre-ball stun and come off the cushion because there is less danger but of course their tables are perfect and fast. I would use the cushion myself because I learned from the pros habits. Ronnie is a master at this and uses a touch of side to get the CB exactly where he wants it without considering SIT.

pina colada on deck for the captain,

so maybe these are things that you never really came across back in the day. those few years you were in the uk it sounds like you were doing your apprenticeship through sparing, getting battered by the pros and not too much solo practice. then there was the busy competition scheduled of the 80s.
                    plus the amount of players there were trying to get on the tables back then, not much time for solo work.. i remember those days well as a junior.

-
                    Last edited by j6uk; 14 September 2017, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Holy Moly,

I getting confused from some of the above. WTF is going on.
                      This mate.

https://youtu.be/C-3dwjgoBts

Comment

My shot was played with right hand side
                        Which one?

The first shot, which was on the black, was firstly played with left hand side, which held the cue ball, then with right hand side, which lost the cue ball. This was all entirely predictable.

The second shot, your Uri Gellar impersonation, was played with right hand side.

Sadly, i fear Terry has been crowing, despite being wrong. Again.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                          I think if we all ( you and me and Travis ) admit that Terry&Vmax both are right and we are wrong , we may be able to put a end to this tragedy ?
                          Just to give it a break ?
                          I've been busy with work and I did'nt got the chance read it all . just got the chance to read few pages and i notice he even does'nt pay attention to what J6 says.
                          When it comes to snooker, no one can be as clear as J6 imo.
                          And that says something .

Just a suggestion !!

Comment

Played the 3/4 black off its spot with the CB around 14" away.

Firstly, I played it green ball side striking the CB at 7 o'clock 6 times. Potted it every time and the nearest I could hold the CB to the black spot was a ball width away. So it held pretty well.

Secondly, I played it green ball side, again, striking the CB at 5 o'clock 6 times. Potted it every time single time but the CB ran on around 5 inches on all attempts. So it didn't hold nearly as well.

Played the shots above at the start of my practice but my timing / lose grip felt good. Hit the CB softly so they were draggy shots, black easily reached the pocket too.

J6 or pottr , have a go the same side as me when you get time to see what you come up with. I am playing with my old Cue Craft Mirage at the mo, cost me 60 notes 25 year ago. The JP is in for repair.:snooker:
                            JP Majestic
                            3/4
                            57"
                            17oz
                            9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

No... my first shot was right hand side.

second which lost the white was left...

please don't try and tell me otherwise, I was the one who played it!

Comment

please don't try and tell me otherwise, I was the one who played it!
                                Who, me?.

I am not doubting at all. But my blacks above gave the results above with me and showed me the RHS returned me a lose CB..

I have another go tomoz. Not doubting my previous strikes on the CB though..

Nice boxers in the vid too, mucker xx
                                Last edited by throtts; 14 September 2017, 07:27 PM.
                                JP Majestic
                                3/4
                                57"
                                17oz
                                9.5mm Elk

Comment

Working...
                                X