Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    Go left and then turn a bit and carry straight on the new line, which is what your video showed. If you removed the red ball you could pot the ball the same way and since it's a straight shot you could also use LH side too and achieve the same results but no intervening ball.

With an angled pot all that would change and you would have to use RH side if the CB was a little further towards the blue area. Of course all these shots can be potted, but killing the CB is the aim of what we're discussing, so on a 7/8 pink being cut to the left it will be RH side and slow to allow the RH side to bite. Ifv you use LH side you will overcut the ball unless you compensate on the aiming.
    I used right hand side to throw the OB to the left and getting a full ball contact to kill the CB.

Comment

Using LH side remember. I just tried it myself and I have to admit I couldn't pot the black from 3/4 and hold the spot and CB ended up just above the spot (toward the cushion). I then tried a 7/8 shot and did that one OK after a couple of attempts where I overcut the black.

Then I tried using your LH side and ended up on the top cushion so I guess you're a better man than me. I think RH side is the way to go with this shot but I couldn't get enough side to both pot the black AND hold the spot. When you put up your video using LH side I will applaud because I sure as hell can't do it. On the other hand with the 3/4 black a stun shot worked just as well, maybe a little closer to the top cushion.
      So you tried LH side , on the green side, a pink side 3/4 black of its spot. You say you didn't pot the black and CB went on towards the top cush. Is all that correct, Tel.?.

How far was the CB from the black on strike.?.
      JP Majestic
      3/4
      57"
      17oz
      9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
        It really is shocking how much you know about this stuff Tel, it really is. I'm lost for words!
        You should be. When you do your video hit the black with helping side and you're increasing the cut so more energy remains with the CB. It is impossible to hold the CB with helping side BUT if you and Biggy can prove helping side works better than inside side I'll eat my words.
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Biggy, it's ALWAYS inside side to hold the CB, there is no other way.
          Guess you're wrong there. Every day is a school day

Comment

If the black is a low black i.e. CB heading towards pink on the green side of the table, play it with right hand side full ball
            You can make the black but would never hold the spot as you're cutting the black thinner and CB runs toward baulk. You both have to be wrong according to my experience and watching your videos. In fact on yours where you claimed SIT potted the pink it appeared to me the spin was gone from the CB unless you have a hellish stroke and that
            's because it quit bending as it passed by the pink. No spin, no SIT.
            Terry Davidson

Comment

If you are aiming BOB you'll have no chance
              Duh...who in hell is aiming at BOB. With side you have to compensate on the aiming. When you have a 3/4 black, (this same one) and you want to crank the cueball with top left and power where in hell do you aim. You aim virtually full ball depending on side and power.
              Terry Davidson

Comment

You should be. When you do your video hit the black with helping side and you're increasing the cut so more energy remains with the CB. It is impossible to hold the CB with helping side BUT if you and Biggy can prove helping side works better than inside side I'll eat my words.
                I'll put the camara right behind the shot so you can see a quarter of the black sticking out just in case you say it's not QB. It will be up on Saturday.

Comment

I used right hand side to throw the OB to the left and getting a full ball contact to kill the CB.
                  The freaking shot was dead-in so why use side at all?
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

Duh...who in hell is aiming at BOB. With side you have to compensate on the aiming. When you have a 3/4 black, (this same one) and you want to crank the cueball with top left and power where in hell do you aim. You aim virtually full ball depending on side and power.
                    If you are hitting BOB you still have no chance, Duh!

Comment

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                      So you tried LH side , on the green side, a pink side 3/4 black of its spot. You say you didn't pot the black and CB went on towards the top cush. Is all that correct, Tel.?.

How far was the CB from the black on strike.?.
                      About 18" or so and I did pot the black except once I overcut it.
                      Terry Davidson

Comment

The freaking shot was dead-in so why use side at all?
                        You sure about that?
                        CB needed to be 3in to the right for a full ball pot.

Comment

I'll put the camara right behind the shot so you can see a quarter of the black sticking out just in case you say it's not QB. It will be up on Saturday.
                          Put the camera over the pocket so we can see CB, OB and pocket along with your cue. If you just show the black and cueball that's no good.
                          Terry Davidson

Comment

You can make the black but would never hold the spot as you're cutting the black thinner and CB runs toward baulk. You both have to be wrong according to my experience and watching your videos. In fact on yours where you claimed SIT potted the pink it appeared to me the spin was gone from the CB unless you have a hellish stroke and that
                            's because it quit bending as it passed by the pink. No spin, no SIT.
                            I feel like a school teacher talking to a 10 year old when I'm talking to you about this subject

Comment

Put the camera over the pocket so we can see CB, OB and pocket along with your cue. If you just show the black and cueball that's no good.
                              Terry, Cliffs getting mad now! image.jpg
                              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                                Terry, Cliffs getting mad now! [ATTACH]18893[/ATTACH]
                                Hahaha,, ""The Grinder"".

He was so slow but intriguing to watch :snooker:
                                JP Majestic
                                3/4
                                57"
                                17oz
                                9.5mm Elk

Comment

Working...
                                X