X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• travisbickle
    replied
    Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    As I said, you need to pay attention. I have said OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN I use side all the time but unless I need to for positional play or to go around an intervening ball I don't use it if there's no cushion involved and I don't teach any of my new students all about side until they can deliver the cue straight. Would you please stop with the insults. Also, you and Reggie and Mr. (anonymous) Mr. Big have repeatedly called into question my abilities.

So how about you lot post your accomplishments at billiards so we can all see how proficient you all are at either snooker or pool. I have already asked Mr. B.S. put he hasn't put anything up, just continues to insult me.

I have also said OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN, please believe whatever you want to believe what with all the proof you have but don't try and convert everyone on here with all your exotic throw shots because they don't have much practical use in snooker outside of the intervening ball and holding position. Try that 90* cut on a pink ball into the other top pocket on a 6x12 and see how it goes, it's a lot easier on a 4x8 pool table.

So shoot me, I thought it was 30* but I see it's 14.5*. I still think it's a big ask to pot a 3/4 black ball off it's spot and hold the spot with the cueball UNLESS you use side and drag as j6uk said he does all the time. In none of the videos shown did I ever see an object ball take off at an angle of 165*5 degrees from the cueball, which would mean some kind of effect that can throw an object ball 15* from the initial contact point. Only with a kick could that happen.
    Teaching beginners and playing yourself are two different things.

I agree you wouldn't teach beginners this stuff as it would completely f#@k them up.
    But someone like you who has been playing the game for decades not to use side when not using cushions I find quite baffling.

So do you agree a 3/4 shot is at an 14.5 degree angle then lol

Leave a comment:

• Terry Davidson
    replied
    Originally Posted by Little Reggie View Post
    I'd ask you to do a vid of Wilson's shot but given your ability to screw back 3ft, such a venture may be fraught with difficulties beyond snatch and time. :biggrin-new:
    More effing insults. I think you 3 are just trying to get my goat. I'm not going to bother even reading this string anymore since you 3 can't seem to make any sort of comment without insulting my abilities, my knowledge or my character. So pee off! (don't want to get barred for swearing though)

Leave a comment:

• Terry Davidson
    replied
    Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    Eh!........ I can't make head nor tail of any of that,CIT Only happens on very thin cuts? Nope completely wrong, it happens on all cut shots, Every single one, no exceptions. Because of that fact you can use SIT to reduce it, just like the video shows( you did watch it didn't you? I don't get why you can't see what's going on during it)
    You think the CIT is the rolling across the ball shot, wrong, that's the only shot where it isnt happening. The quote you put up,is an explanation of how to stop CIT that's why it's hard, you haven't understood what's going on at all.
    You state Dr Dave says SIT doesn't effect the ob, wrong watch the video that's exactly what he says. He also states there is a small amount of spin transfer, which you still don't believe even though it's on the video.
    You state you have to be a pro to play it, again this is because you haven't understood what the quote is referring to that you posted up, you are away on a different subject again.
    Lastly you state Colorado uni and Dr Dave( he is the one teaching this at Colorado uni) state that it's swerve, where does he say that in the video.
    Honestly Terry just get in contact with Colorado uni, or your friend at MIT they will put you right in a few minutes, whether you chose to believe them is entirely up to you, but do you honestly think a physics prof at one uni will have different laws to follow than a physics prof at any other?
    I have also said over and over again, I don't care as I don't consciously use throw and get down on every cut shot and try and figure out how much throw there's going to be. If there was throw on every cut shot we would all have to figure out how much at each angle or we wouldn't pot a ball. I think most players use the 180* estimate when potting a ball. Is this perhaps the reason snooker players prefer dead-in pots over angled pots and pool players prefer angled pots on their smaller tables?

Leave a comment:

• Little Reggie
    replied
    Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    As I said, you need to pay attention. I have said OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN I use side all the time but unless I need to for positional play or to go around an intervening ball I don't use it if there's no cushion involved and I don't teach any of my new students all about side until they can deliver the cue straight. Would you please stop with the insults. Also, you and Reggie and Mr. (anonymous) Mr. Big have repeatedly called into question my abilities.

So how about you lot post your accomplishments at billiards so we can all see how proficient you all are at either snooker or pool. I have already asked Mr. B.S. put he hasn't put anything up, just continues to insult me.

I have also said OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN, please believe whatever you want to believe what with all the proof you have but don't try and convert everyone on here with all your exotic throw shots because they don't have much practical use in snooker outside of the intervening ball and holding position. Try that 90* cut on a pink ball into the other top pocket on a 6x12 and see how it goes, it's a lot easier on a 4x8 pool table.
    I'd ask you to do a vid of Wilson's shot but given your ability to screw back 3ft, such a venture may be fraught with difficulties beyond snatch and time. :biggrin-new:

Leave a comment:

• Terry Davidson
    replied
    Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
    Lol says the man who doesn't/can't use side. Like I said a while back, you have so much to learn!
    Just to add, you said 45 degrees the first time, so I'm not sure you even know what you're talking about yourself!
    Just looked this up
    http://billiards.colostate.edu/image..._fractions.jpg
    I think you need to keep up old man

So shoot me, I thought it was 30* but I see it's 14.5*. I still think it's a big ask to pot a 3/4 black ball off it's spot and hold the spot with the cueball UNLESS you use side and drag as j6uk said he does all the time. In none of the videos shown did I ever see an object ball take off at an angle of 165*5 degrees from the cueball, which would mean some kind of effect that can throw an object ball 15* from the initial contact point. Only with a kick could that happen.
    Last edited by Terry Davidson; 28 August 2017, 08:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Terry Davidson
    replied
    Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
    The way they tie themselves in knots trying to convince themselves they are right is hilarious to watch - and a little troubling...
    I would appreciate if you showed a little courtesy and disagree with myself and vmax without the insults please.

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    Thanks Lads, didn't know it was called shot, that makes sense. I quite enjoyed that, I would have a game of that rather than normal pool.

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    What's the rules on this, At 32mins, Bob is using the 3 ball as the break ball, misses but pots the 1 out the pack, like a plant, but picks the 1 back out and puts it on the spot( I think) and gives up the go, why is this a foul, or end of go? I take it you must pot your break ball as it seems ok to play a plant at any other time.
    From what I see he uses the plain white cue ball as the cue ball (not a numbered ball), he calls the 3 as to pot it but does not pot it, end of turn, and I assume the foul-potted ball is replaced on the spot.
    not that I know the rules for straight pool much

Leave a comment:

• jonny66
    replied
    What's the rules on this, At 32mins, Bob is using the 3 ball as the break ball, misses but pots the 1 out the pack, like a plant, but picks the 1 back out and puts it on the spot( I think) and gives up the go, why is this a foul, or end of go? I take it you must pot your break ball as it seems ok to play a plant at any other time.
    Straight pool is call shot, so he called the three and missed it, end of shot, doesn't matter if anything else drops, or even if the 3 goes into a different pocket, you have to pot the ball nominated in the pocket nominated.

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    Most of the shots played on Dr Dave's videos are played by bob, who iirc was once national snooker champion and still capable of the odd upset in his 60s.

https://youtu.be/L1AQ21-oBmU

Leave a comment:

• Hello, Mr Big Shot
    replied
    Originally Posted by throtts View Post
    He put the camera at ariel view for 2 sec. He should have left it there, much better view point..
    This clear enough?

https://youtu.be/uHf3o6FtNnQ

Leave a comment:

• Hello, Mr Big Shot
    replied
    Come on Biggie, even I can see that swerved right round the back and hit exactly bob coming the other way, which is the only place you can hit to pot a ball, good grief.
    That is one hell of a shot.
    I would like Terry to know, since I have been emailing Dr Dave I have ended up on his mailing list and have received one plugging a multiple DVD set about playing pool made by Dr Dave and Bob Jewett( who I must admit I had never heard of) so I think it's fair to say they see eye to eye on everything.
    Most of the shots played on Dr Dave's videos are played by bob, who iirc was once national snooker champion and still capable of the odd upset in his 60s.

https://youtu.be/L1AQ21-oBmU

Leave a comment:

• throtts
    replied
    Come on Biggie, even I can see that swerved right round the back and hit exactly bob coming the other way, which is the only place you can hit to pot a ball, good grief.
    He put the camera at ariel view for 2 sec. He should have left it there, much better view point..

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    Lolololol!

Jesus wept, don't know where to start here! Firstly, that quote is from Bob jewett, long term side kick of dr dave, and one of the world's leading experts on pocket billiards.

He is also talking about gearing English, which is a small amount that counteracts the effects of throw. If you're using Bob jewett as evidence that throw doesn't exist, or only exists on extreme cut shots, you're well and truly barking up the wrong tree.

You really need to educate yourself properly. You might stop making a complete fool of yourself.

Anyway, bob jewett, using a lot throw. Try it plain ball.

https://youtu.be/GaSKh1PSqok
    I would like Terry to know, since I have been emailing Dr Dave I have ended up on his mailing list and have received one plugging a multiple DVD set about playing pool made by Dr Dave and Bob Jewett( who I must admit I had never heard of) so I think it's fair to say they see eye to eye on everything.
    Last edited by itsnoteasy; 28 August 2017, 04:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• throtts
    replied
    hahaha, I thought so...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X