Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to be "hungry" in potting every ball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure they don't do it deliberately. O'Sullivan, Higgins and Williams are all good sportsmen and gentlemen on the table - even if they do bang the table and show their frustration more than other players.
    I'd say a 'come on' like Murphy and Dott have taken to doing is a lot more distracting to an opponent than a bit of frustration.
    O'Sullivan doesn't bang the table, instead bites his tip off or sits with a towel on his head.
    I'd never seen Higgins show his frustration much, until a couple of years ago where he banged the cue, which in some situations is very understandable.
    Williams has always shown his frustration - and in the 2006 worlds when he banged his cue they could hear it on the other table!
    Its just natural frustration in all their cases, and i'm sure their not trying to distract their opponent!
    'I'm nuts,' - Ronnie O'Sullivan

Comment

agreed, samasnookerfan

but i was also referring to positive expressive patterns such as smiling (an alternative mode of dealing with frustration & implemented on many occasions by John Higgins)!!

Comment

A bit of human emotion is good to see!
        With Davis and Hendry it was natural for their character I suppose and they had a very serious concentrated look.
        Everyone has different ways of showing what they feel, and it would be boring if everyone was the same!
        'I'm nuts,' - Ronnie O'Sullivan

Comment

Expressing one's emotions is a way to relieve the tension, if only a bit. This is very personal of course. But for some players it may be absolutely necessary. It has of course to remain non offensive and not disruptive to the opponent's game. This aplies after the match also in my opinion. An extravert display of jubilation may prove extremely painful for the one who lost.
          It seems also that some referrees are more tolerant than others ... Michaella Tabb being exceptionnaly strict!
          Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
          http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

Imagine if Mcenroe took up Snooker instead of Tennis
            www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Interesting comments! As I said before, I like players to show some emotions, but only within a certain limit. For me the perfect example of too much is the Peter Ebdon vs. Stephen Lee match. I am pretty sure that he didn't mean to insult Lee by his jubilation, it was rather a reaction to relieved tension, but still it was inapropriate. Of course this was after a match, so it didn't influence the outcome...
              Banging cues out of frustration etc. on the other hand usually doesn't really seem to bother the opponents, how it affects a player's game probably dependd on personality (relieving tension vs. getting all kinds of negative thoughts). I think referees shouldn't be too strict (again, within certain limits)
              Ein jedes Werkzeug ist ein Tand in eines tumben Toren Hand.

Comment

The Ebdon - Lee match is exactly what I had on my mind writing the above comment It was not Ebdon's intention but Lee was definitely hurt. Ronnie also said in one interview that it was "horrible enough to loose" (his wording) and that seeing one's opponent running like mad with joy on top of it was painful

Comment

Originally Posted by Monique
                  The Ebdon - Lee match is exactly what I had on my mind writing the above comment It was not Ebdon's intention but Lee was definitely hurt. Ronnie also said in one interview that it was "horrible enough to loose" (his wording) and that seeing one's opponent running like mad with joy on top of it was painful
                  I remember that infamous 'COME ON COME ON COME ON' from Ebdon very well.

Although Ebdon took a lot of stick for that, I don't think it was a problem.

The match on the other table had ended and there was no way back for Lee in the decider.

Comment

It may not have been a problem in the sense that it did not change anything to the result of that match, or any other match. But it is a conduct that may hurt the opponent and in that sense it's ungentlemanly.

Comment

Originally Posted by nardiello
                      just played 5 frames match this afternoon.i won 2-0 first and made 50+ break..then on the 3rd frame..i missed the last black and i suddenly became down and my opponent whitewashed me 3 frames in a row.then i lost 2-3!oh my god!!can u believe it???.on the 3rd,4th and the 5th frame..i just made max 15 break..i dont know why..i always feel compassion on my opponent and felt so frustated..and when i was down..i even missed a lot of simple shots..i was totally down..anyone here got tips about how to be "hungry" in potting every ball?and not to feel compassion on my opponent..his face is so cute and he almost cried when i beat him 2-0 first..so i was too relax and i felt i was on top..so i gave him chance by chance..

same thing happend to me today good enough it was a first to 4 so i managed to get the last 2 frames and win

i think i was hurrying too much to win the last frame..

Comment

I used to be like this so hopefully I can throw my view into the mix.

I used to be 1-0 or 2-0 up then miss an easy ball and beat myself up and would constantly think about the easy shot I just missed. This would build up frustration inside me and my opponents would play on this.

So the simple advice I would give is concentrate on everything you have been told about the game, forget the errors you make during the game-by all means assess them after the game-and just enjoy the game. After all the game is difficult enough as it is without getting wound up and playing two opponents-you and your opponent.
                        SUPER RONNIE O'SULLIVAN!!

Comment

Working...
                        X