No announcement yet.

Cueing & Sighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have almost got it guys. One last thing for approx how many seconds should I pause at my last swing and when I pause which ball should I look at?
    Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

Last and final question when I hold the cue should I feel the cue with my last three fingers? I have seen most of the players hold the cue that way? Do you get me?

Comment

It's not a matter of a particular number of seconds Ranen as when you've watched any snooker recently, you'd be able to get a stopwatch out and time them. If anyone was to do this though, I'd be concerned they're getting too wrapped up in the mechanics of the technique http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analysis_paralysis gives some pointers, instead of knowing WHY they're doing various things.

Think about what the pause allows you to do, why you're doing it and then do it. Whatever you feel comfortable with, as long as it gives you the opportunity to make the backswing a stationary moment of stability and enough time to pick your spot on the object ball and then deliver the cue smoothly.... then that's what you should do. If it was easy to tell you that it's 75 milliseconds, it would be in all the coaching manuals on on websites all round the world.

Maybe if I was to liken the snooker pause and the amount a batsman pulls back his bat then you can see it's all a bit unique to the player. It all depends how comfortable they are with lashing movements or they're more methodical and any other manner of reasons.

It should in no way detract from your stroke and understanding the reasons for what you're doing will give you an insight into how useful it is... and how much better players who DO pause play than those that don't.

ttfn
        Head Still... Follow Through... Keep it Tight... Never Give Up... Ton 'em if you can!

Comment

What about holding the cue with the three fingers? Have you people ever noticed that?

Comment

yep, quite popular, apart from index and middle finger, the others can be used just as a gentle cradle and without the firmness given by the other 2 and the thumb providing a ring of control. Alex higgins little finger was always extended straight and pointing straight at the floor. There's less chance of either scooping the cue upwards on the follow-through if you don't grip the cue too tight. Keeping the cue parallel isn't as easy as it sounds but having a decent grip helps and knowing what will happen if you grip it too tight, with too many fingers, will cement the theory. Imagine cueing the rest with all your hand!! Impossible, so it's similar to cueing normally.
            Head Still... Follow Through... Keep it Tight... Never Give Up... Ton 'em if you can!

Comment

I dont think you got me. Its the index finger which is not actually holding the cue. I have got one of Ronnie's 147 videos.In that also i have noticed that Ronnie does not hold the cue with his index finger.

Comment

I've got that DVD too Ranen; which part shows what you mean best?

Comment

Ok its in the 2003 world champs.You can see his grip when he pots the second red but not very clear. Then again the best can be seen when he is on 33 and pots the black. I have seen players in my parlour play with the same grip.Again on 41 on the black same shot also on 113 on the black(not very good but visible). Though the best is on 33 and 41. You will get the exact view and understand what I am trying to say.

Comment

I see what you mean Ranen. I used to check Ronnie's grip quite often but I have to say that it's an unusual way of gripping the cue. And IMO, I don't find it efficient. At least, it doesn't suit me.
                    Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

I've just watched that video and it looks like you're right. Certainly the knuckle of Ronnie's index finger is much further out than his other fingers, it's hard to tell whether or not the tip of his finger comes back up and supports the cue.

I'll go and try it out, be back to report in half an hour.

Comment

Snooker FSI! (Forensic Sports Investigatons)

I'm off to get my cue out now, test it for myself too Rob.... anywhere that's 34" off the floor?

Comment

Well I've given it a go and I'd tend to agree with Erwan. I can't get any power into the ball without the firm 'ring' using my thumb and index finger. Ronnie's certainly not lacking cue power though so he's obviously got a knack for it.

Having looked at a few more videos (all maximums), he seems to have had this grip at least since 1997. I've never noticed it but I'm not really one to analyse the pros technically. I can't be sure though whether Ronnie has his index finger fairly relaxed or whether he just contorts it out in front of his other fingers (maybe it's abnormally long?). I'll try and get a good look next time he's on TV.

Comment

without playing any shots but experimenting with my grip of the cue Rob, he maybe's using a grip which allows more follow-through on his shots. Hold your cue out in front of you with it about 45o pointing up with a normal firm grip then let it fall to just off parallel with the floor, then look at your grip. index finger juts forward slightly and it allows a less restricted follow through if you were to play a shot, though it would hinder a very full backswing a la selby/higgins.

ferret can have that as a free question from us when he does his next round of interviews!

Comment

So whats the conclusion guys? Is that a good way of gripping the cue?

Comment

I noticed a new problem , while playing close shots(where the object ball is about 3-4 inches away from the cue ball) I just dont look at the object ball nor the cue ball I just play the shot in between. Isnt this funny?? I reliased this when I missed a few shots.

Comment

Working...
                                X