Welcome Kevin:-)

Leave a comment:

• alider8
    replied
    Welcome Kevin!

Leave a comment:

• Samcheung001
    replied
    Hi Kevin, I've installed a Deroo easy tip on my Will Hunt Green plate. I would like to know any run-in required as I find that it's a bit soft that the response and spin are not so satisfactory comparing to my previous run-in blue diamond.

Thanks for your tips.

Leave a comment:

• poolqjunkie
    replied
    Originally Posted by Kevin DeRoo View Post
    An old trick to keep a long drill bit centered in the cue is to if possible have the cue turning in the opposite dirrection
    as the drill bit. It makes the drill bit want to be self centering .
    This sounds very interesting. Does your lathe have two motors--one for the headstock and one for the tail stock?

Leave a comment:

• Kevin DeRoo
    replied
    Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    Kevin:

No doubt a good suggestion, however I would think a lathe would be needed to accomplish that and I don't have one.

Would you offer this service? If so, what would you charge to drill out 3 one-piece cues and weight them up to 18.5oz?

Terry
    I can't do the job , I don't use lead .We only use threaded inserts on the pool cues at around 8 " deep.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin DeRoo
    replied
    Kevin:

No doubt a good suggestion, however I would think a lathe would be needed to accomplish that and I don't have one.

Would you offer this service? If so, what would you charge to drill out 3 one-piece cues and weight them up to 18.5oz?

Terry
    I can't do it. I can drill the hole but I don't use lead. I use threaded inserts in our pool cues but only 8" deep .I can't
    thread the hole more than 8 " deep

Leave a comment:

• Terry Davidson
    replied
    hotpot:

My dates are (as long as Air Canada doesn't go on strike or something) arriving April 3rd and leaving afternoon of April 25th.

But I only need Trevor to add the weight to my playing cue as I won't be bringing over the 3 1pc cues as it's just too much to hump with the 2 cues I'm picking up while I'm at the SWSA

(Kevin...sorry for sort of hijacking your thread)

Terry

Leave a comment:

• hotpot
    replied
    If you tell me the dates your arriving and leaving i will try and get hold of him and ask if can do them .

Leave a comment:

• Terry Davidson
    replied
    That would be a good thing...I have a TW cue, 3/4-butt which is my playing cue and I need about 0.8oz added to it to bring it up to 18.5oz.

However, on the 3 cues I'd liked drilled out it would be too cumbersome to bring them over and back as I'm already picking up a couple of cues while I'm at the SWSA and I would probably have to ship them back or else tie a couple of cases together.

I can't seem to get a response from Trevor so I assume he must be busy with orders

Terry

Leave a comment:

• hotpot
    replied
    Terry i may be able to help you out if you want Trevor to do your cues . I can take them to him at the start of your trip and ask him if he can do them by the time you leave .

Leave a comment:

• Terry Davidson
    replied
    Kevin:

Terry

Leave a comment:

• Kevin DeRoo
    replied
    pqj:

WTF is 'gun drilling? Never heard the term (remember, I'm a good candidate for 'Canada's Worst Handyman).

Yes, with an 18" bit I figured I'd have to go slow and maybe lubricate the bit a bunch of times, especially with the ebony.

Of course, on the other hand maybe I could send these two cues to you, along with my latest Aurora 1pc and have them all weighted up to 18.5oz, how does that sound?

Terry
    An old trick to keep a long drill bit centered in the cue is to if possible have the cue turning in the opposite dirrection
    as the drill bit. It makes the drill bit want to be self centering .

Leave a comment:

• Kevin DeRoo
    replied
    Originally Posted by rodandreel View Post
    hello kevin
    welcome 14 years and counting with my 1pc ash ebny/snake branch
    rodney
    Hey Rodney ,thanks , good to hear from you.

Leave a comment:

• poolqjunkie
    replied
    You can also try to use a forstner bit to drill a short hole to sort of guide the drill bit straight into the wood and then do it bit by bit--but you still need to deal with the heat and all the mess. You can get a steady rest with a metal bushing to hold the long drill bit in place so it will not wobble and stay straight.
    Gun drilling is a much better method. You can also bore through metal with gun drilling. You need to buy special tools and set up to do it--unless your wife has something like that in her workshop. You would need to have a lathe. A wood lathe would work with some modification but you need a lathe.
    Nowadays a lot of US pool cue makers core their woods to keep them from warping and to keep the weight down. Gun drilling is usually the method they use.
    I suspect this term "gun drilling" came from boring a long straight hole through metal to make that long barrel in guns. As the hole needs to be very straight and the length is usually many times the diameter it was not an easy task.
    Gun drilling involves the use of coolant/air to cool down whatever it is that you need to drill and it extracts all the bits along the process so they will not get trapped inside the hole as you drill. It can drill a very straight hole that is much longer than it is wide.
    It is very useful in making flutes, guns, pipes, pool cues, and so on.

Leave a comment:

• Terry Davidson
    replied
    pqj:

WTF is 'gun drilling? Never heard the term (remember, I'm a good candidate for 'Canada's Worst Handyman).

Yes, with an 18" bit I figured I'd have to go slow and maybe lubricate the bit a bunch of times, especially with the ebony.

Of course, on the other hand maybe I could send these two cues to you, along with my latest Aurora 1pc and have them all weighted up to 18.5oz, how does that sound?

Terry

Leave a comment:

Working...
X