Greetings from Toronto, Canada.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Ash & Ebony View Post
    Thanks Terry. I'll need help like that getting caught up with the current overview. Appreciate your consideration.
    B.

Thanks Les. I'm curious whether the Saturday tournaments @ Corner Bank are full rack or 6 red handicap. I suspect these tournaments are regular open as there was no mention of handicap. Is there a "bracket" result on line somewhere of the tournament yesterday? Not sure how to access Canadian snooker tournament results.
    B.
    Hi Ash go to our website and it will explain everything. http://www.ontariosnooker.club we have set up our tournaments to give everyone a chance. Our average players love our new format. Our slogan "Promoting Snooker at all Levels" is exactly what we are doing. You will enjoy it.
    " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
    " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
    http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
      Hi Ash go to our website and it will explain everything. http://www.ontariosnooker.club we have set up our tournaments to give everyone a chance. Our average players love our new format. Our slogan "Promoting Snooker at all Levels" is exactly what we are doing. You will enjoy it.
      Thanks for the link Les. Congrats on your 1st tournament there & I sure hope you are able to grow the participation. That looks like a great venue to develop young players with the proper guidance & coaching. All the best to you & for snooker enthusiasm.
      B.

Comment

Les: I can't find an explanation of the handicap / rating (red / black) on the Ontario Snooker Club website. At the time of the 6 red handicap tournaments, handicaps were assigned in increments of 4 with 32 being the highest an "scratch" being the pro level. With full rack handicapping of red / black, it seems to be a more generic approach. Also - is it the same for both OSC & OSSC. Thanks.
        B.

Comment

Les: I can't find an explanation of the handicap / rating (red / black) on the Ontario Snooker Club website. At the time of the 6 red handicap tournaments, handicaps were assigned in increments of 4 with 32 being the highest an "scratch" being the pro level. With full rack handicapping of red / black, it seems to be a more generic approach. Also - is it the same for both OSC & OSSC. Thanks.
          B.
          We do not use handicaps but what we do is the Reds play against each other till we are down to four then the blacks play against each other until we are down to four the we do a structured random draw for the quarter finals this way for Red players get paid each tournament. The OSA throws everyone in the draw with no set format and the A / Res players never win a penny. Not to mention they hold back over half of the price money.

Comment

We do not use handicaps but what we do is the Reds play against each other till we are down to four then the blacks play against each other until we are down to four the we do a structured random draw for the quarter finals this way for Red players get paid each tournament. The OSA throws everyone in the draw with no set format and the A / Res players never win a penny. Not to mention they hold back over half of the price money.
            I still don't know what red or black signify. What is an "A" player?
            B.

Comment

I still don't know what red or black signify. What is an "A" player?
              B.
              Ash:

There is a rough guideline for the two categories of players and each category covers a spectrum of skill level. What we can a 'Red' and the OSA calls an 'A' would be a player who is capable of running 40 or so in a frame every once in awhile. What we call a 'Black' and the OSA calls an 'Open' is a player who is able to run 50+ breaks on a fairly consistent basis.

In our tournaments probably the strongest Black player is Floyd Zeigler who usually has the highest break in each tournament he plays in and that can be anywhere from a 70 to a ton.

Sometimes a 'Red' or 'A' player will improve over a period of time and he will 'graduate into the 'Black' or 'Open' category. With the OSA they hold one 'A-only' tournament once at the end of the season for a bit of prize money. What ontariosnooker.club does is group all the less-skilled players together 'Red' category, and they play down to the last 4. Then they join the 'Black' players who have played down to the last 4 also and they combine to make the 1/4-finals of the main tournament.

This process ensures there will always be 4 Red (or less skilled) players will get prize money as we always pay down to the 1/4-finals and on the odd occasion, since the Red who comes through is obviously playing well and if he's lucky on the draw he might meet a lower skilled 'Black' player (like me) and he might win in the 1/4 finals and make the semis for even more prize money.

The OSSL is a handicapped association for players over 55yrs I believe and it is also handicapped but I believe you only get one or 2 frames each Saturday and Sunday but it is also a full rack tournament. Only the weekly 6-red tournaments use less reds but are usually the best-of-3 because they play them on a weekday evening.
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

An A Player represents an Average player and a Black represents an Open player such as Floyd Ziegler. We have determined these ratings through past performance.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                  Ash:

There is a rough guideline for the two categories of players and each category covers a spectrum of skill level. What we can a 'Red' and the OSA calls an 'A' would be a player who is capable of running 40 or so in a frame every once in awhile. What we call a 'Black' and the OSA calls an 'Open' is a player who is able to run 50+ breaks on a fairly consistent basis.

In our tournaments probably the strongest Black player is Floyd Zeigler who usually has the highest break in each tournament he plays in and that can be anywhere from a 70 to a ton.

Sometimes a 'Red' or 'A' player will improve over a period of time and he will 'graduate into the 'Black' or 'Open' category. With the OSA they hold one 'A-only' tournament once at the end of the season for a bit of prize money. What ontariosnooker.club does is group all the less-skilled players together 'Red' category, and they play down to the last 4. Then they join the 'Black' players who have played down to the last 4 also and they combine to make the 1/4-finals of the main tournament.

This process ensures there will always be 4 Red (or less skilled) players will get prize money as we always pay down to the 1/4-finals and on the odd occasion, since the Red who comes through is obviously playing well and if he's lucky on the draw he might meet a lower skilled 'Black' player (like me) and he might win in the 1/4 finals and make the semis for even more prize money.

The OSSL is a handicapped association for players over 55yrs I believe and it is also handicapped but I believe you only get one or 2 frames each Saturday and Sunday but it is also a full rack tournament. Only the weekly 6-red tournaments use less reds but are usually the best-of-3 because they play them on a weekday evening.
                  Thanks a bunch Terry. That post might be a worthwhile addition to the website for those who are contemplating participation. Anything to grow the sport is appropriate I would think.
                  I appreciate your time & consideration. Hope to meet you all @ Corner Bank soon.
                  Blair.

Comment

An A Player represents an Average player and a Black represents an Open player such as Floyd Ziegler. We have determined these ratings through past performance.
                    Appreciate your help Les.
                    Blair.

Comment

Terry,

When I played in the OSSL two years ago, it was a round robin affair. You would play each player(one frame, full rack) in a group of five or so and the top two would go to the finals. It was OK but you might sit awhile between frames.
                      The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

Hello all! Corner Bank is bringing back the 6 Red Tourney, every Tuesday night starting at 7:30pm. We had our first Tourney last week and had 16 gents show up. I'm sure this night will pick up as the weeks progress. Nothing like playing on a Golden Prince snooker tournament table, and the Corner Bank has 8 of em. Come down and check out the hall!

Comment

Working...
                        X