Hello you lovely bunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    I forgot to say, they do the league on Monday evenings, the wife has ongoing commitments Mondays so I have to be at home looking after the tribe
    Shame you don't have any other leagues close by then mate. Might have to wait a while and then take the nippers with you!
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
      Shame you don't have any other leagues close by then mate. Might have to wait a while and then take the nippers with you!
      I once tried to have the nippers with me whilst playing at a previous club, does not work just them being there
      Also under 14s not allowed in this social club snooker room.

Just waiting for the eldest to take over babysitting duties
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Personally I never used to think too much about rhythm, just hit and hard and stun screw everything. I'learned so much from people since I started playing again and wish I knew some of this stuff 30 years ago; my top priority if I was playing a lot and young again would be rhythm and timing (personally).
        Another great practice thing I like to do when I get the chance is to just pot blacks off the spot, keep re-spotting but don't move the CB, so basically a positional test. Works really well with Pinks too, as you will get middle pocket position shots too. (remember the old "scrub" players doing this when I was a kid) Instead of walking round the table constantly for the pink or black just use any ball in the rail to save time.
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
          Another great practice thing I like to do when I get the chance is to just pot blacks off the spot, keep re-spotting but don't move the CB, so basically a positional test. Works really well with Pinks too, as you will get middle pocket position shots too. (remember the old "scrub" players doing this when I was a kid) Instead of walking round the table constantly for the pink or black just use any ball in the rail to save time.
          Yes, I forgot about that.

Ocassionally, I do the black one but never thought about the pink one.

To practice the pink I generally do the line up and keep picking the pink (normally in the middle) so I can practice stuns and also rolling them against the nap whilst aiming for the top cushion.

The stun and the dead weight shot remind me of the various shots I may have to play as the cloths vary from club to club.

A couple of weeks ago we played on a thick cloth with lots of nap and the week after it another table was like glass with virtually zero nap; those pinks help me there when in the balls.

Comment

amazing what a difference the cloth makes, im feeling really lucky at the moment having just joined my local social club which has better cloths on their 5 tables than my nearest snooker hall! They also only charge £2 an hour if practising solo whereas the snooker hall its £6.50, Bingo! feels like free beer
            The tables run a nice bit faster than I have been used to due to this which is a joy when you can just roll the ball in and bounce of the cush for your next red. And the difference on a straight black is huge, more a soft screw shot to get off the side cush instead of a deep one.

So my breaks should be getting higher soon right? Lolz, live in hope.
            Yes, I forgot about that.

Ocassionally, I do the black one but never thought about the pink one.

To practice the pink I generally do the line up and keep picking the pink (normally in the middle) so I can practice stuns and also rolling them against the nap whilst aiming for the top cushion.

The stun and the dead weight shot remind me of the various shots I may have to play as the cloths vary from club to club.

A couple of weeks ago we played on a thick cloth with lots of nap and the week after it another table was like glass with virtually zero nap; those pinks help me there when in the balls.
            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

amazing what a difference the cloth makes, im feeling really lucky at the moment having just joined my local social club which has better cloths on their 5 tables than my nearest snooker hall! They also only charge £2 an hour if practising solo whereas the snooker hall its £6.50, Bingo! feels like free beer
              The tables run a nice bit faster than I have been used to due to this which is a joy when you can just roll the ball in and bounce of the cush for your next red. And the difference on a straight black is huge, more a soft screw shot to get off the side cush instead of a deep one.

So my breaks should be getting higher soon right? Lolz, live in hope.
              If you're playing on it all the time that's nice. Playing on one just occasionally takes some getting used to.

Comment

Yes indeed, and as you say, you get a whole of variety in speed/clothes playing around the clubs in league matches. I guess my record to date in the league is reasonable then played 5 won 2 drawn 2 lost 1 (lost the first match after not playing for 2 months)
                If you're playing on it all the time that's nice. Playing on one just occasionally takes some getting used to.
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I Shockerz - I know you practice a fair bit, how do you normally break a solo practice session down? do you try and keep to some sort of format or just work on what you feel needs it most? Cheers
                  I'm interested in this too!

I was beating myself up a bit the other day because I was a way, way better player when I was 20. I'm 43 now, but definitely a young 43 - I eat well and exercise a lot - it's anti-aging, your cells regenerate quicker. Anyway, I realised that when I was 20 I played almost every day. Sometimes only 45 mins on my lunch break, but usually more than that, I would often go back in the evenings. And I played a wide range of players, from old guys who would pot a red and a colour then run up to the long grass, tie me up in knots, and attacking players like me. Of course I was better then! Duhhhhhh! Since I've been playing again over the last two years I've only played with my friend / business partner Steve, and at most twice a week. Usually only once a week for two hours, and sometimes we'll have several weeks off if I'm travelling.

So how could I possibly hope to be anywhere near as good as I was back then?

Comment

Dan-cat - I think to a large degree its a state of mind. Believe with hard work / plenty of table time you can back to very near your best. I personally think the long game is the hardest part as you get older, but in the balls should not make any difference. Maintaining concentration in the balls would be the hardest part but at your age fitness level shouldn't be an issue. Its not good playing the same guy all the time, when I was doing this a few months back I found a recurring pattern formed. He was a lower level to me and generally every frame the balls especially the colours would end up near the cushions out of play, I got frustrated and complained (to myself, first sign of madness why cant I make sizeable breaks like when I practise, derrrrrr!!

Dedicate yourself to some proper solo practice does wonders for the confidence. (I missed, oh its my shot again!! yay!)
                    Originally Posted by Dan-cat View Post

I was beating myself up a bit the other day because I was a way, way better player when I was 20. I'm 43 now, but definitely a young 43 - I eat well and exercise a lot - it's anti-aging, your cells regenerate quicker. Anyway, I realised that when I was 20 I played almost every day. Sometimes only 45 mins on my lunch break, but usually more than that, I would often go back in the evenings. And I played a wide range of players, from old guys who would pot a red and a colour then run up to the long grass, tie me up in knots, and attacking players like me. Of course I was better then! Duhhhhhh! Since I've been playing again over the last two years I've only played with my friend / business partner Steve, and at most twice a week. Usually only once a week for two hours, and sometimes we'll have several weeks off if I'm travelling.

⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Dan-cat - I think to a large degree its a state of mind. Believe with hard work / plenty of table time you can back to very near your best. I personally think the long game is the hardest part as you get older, but in the balls should not make any difference. Maintaining concentration in the balls would be the hardest part but at your age fitness level shouldn't be an issue. Its not good playing the same guy all the time, when I was doing this a few months back I found a recurring pattern formed. He was a lower level to me and generally every frame the balls especially the colours would end up near the cushions out of play, I got frustrated and complained (to myself, first sign of madness why cant I make sizeable breaks like when I practise, derrrrrr!!

Dedicate yourself to some proper solo practice does wonders for the confidence. (I missed, oh its my shot again!! yay!)

my pratice partner has a habit of pating colors to cushions now I just make him respoted them worked wonders

Comment

lovin that idea - might try that in my next league match if i play a munter who wants to win by deception. lol.
                        Originally Posted by Tommykiid View Post
                        my pratice partner has a habit of pating colors to cushions now I just make him respoted them worked wonders
                        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

The one thing you have now is you've played a bit so know what you need to practice; whether you take time to practice those things is the real question. I used to play 6 nights a week in my early 20's but never did any exercises, just played. If I could show that guy what I know now he would have been a lot better.

Now I know more but fight the ageing thing. In the balls i'm fine so I tend to practice a fair few long shots just before a match when we just spread the balls out whereas others are playing tip tap.

Comment

Hi Dan-cat - I am astoundingly surprised to hear you say this! From what I know about you, you seem to have traveled a similar path to mine...played a lot and with passion when younger, hiatus for twenty-some years to serve time in the rat race, then realize you need to enjoy the finer things in life and back to the snooker in an aging but wiser middle aged body.

I can state definitively that if this decrepit old 50 year old body were to play a "World Championship" match against my 20 year old self, it would be a resounding 18 and 3 rout, the youngster without a chance. There would be very good reason for this and I would have thought it would be right up your alley. It has to do with wisdom and life experience...the right state of mind, as Cue Crafty said. Reading the paragraph above, I found it hard to believe it is coming from the same positive minded guy that I know.

To be fantastically good at this game, I would say you must put in 3 of every 4 hours at the table in practice exercises. On the other hand, if you are a player like me (and most I think) that may put in an hour or two a week at practice and as much time as you can in a friendly or tournament match, it seems to me that there are two primary things required for improvement: 1) shot selection, and 2) confidence that you can accomplish precisely what you determined that you wanted in bullet point 1). While I applaud the wisdom and strength of will of keeping yourself fit, it has very little to do with the state of your snooker game. (For the record, I am not in awful shape for a half-centenarian...normal aches and pains, a wonky knee, no prescriptions needed, I do walk the dog A LOT, probably average 2 to 3 miles a day, but I admit that I keep myself "hydrated" with a beer or two on those walks.)

So back to bullets 1) and 2), when I watch others play, more often than not, I disagree either with the shot they chose to play or the manner in which they chose to play it. Any who know me know that I cannot help but be a "numbers guy"....I put percentages on everything. Other than my kid, I have three other regular playing partners, each averaging about 2 to 3 hours a week (usually longer sessions but every couple weeks, not a regular weekly "date"). Of those, I literally disagree with shot selection of the best of them about half the time. The second best chooses the wrong shot 75 percent, three out of every four. And the worst of the bunch, I disagree with an astounding 9 out of every 10 shots. In full disclosure, since everyone utterly refuses to accept a handicap, I win about 2 out of 3 with the first guy, 3 of 4 with the second, and other than throwing the occasional game to keep up his interest level, 9 of 10 with the third. These players play what I call "arbitrary snooker" and I am wondering if you may be guilty of that.

First, I have to define what I mean by "shot" and "shot selection". To me, a "shot" is all encompassing--it means EVERYTHING that occurs from the time the White is stroked until the time that all balls come to rest. Most people seem to have no idea of all the events that will be occurring with all the various ball collisions and hence, my term of "arbitrary snooker". This type of play simply focuses on the pot and NOT on the shot. Time after time after time, I watch my opponent play a half-ball Red into a top pocket from White in baulk, pot it and White ends right in the middle of the pack of Reds....on absolutely nothing. Arbitrary snooker.

The epitome of NON-arbitrary snooker was an interview I read ages ago with Cliff Thorburn. The question was regarding what he thought of being dubbed the "Grinder" because of his slow, methodical play. As I recall, he referred back to his (baseball) pitching days and also his passion for golf, and said something along the lines of, "Before I will release the ball..." (referring to all of these sports) "...I will absolutely KNOW everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, that is going to happen." Now to me, this does not mean that you have to be slow....I daresay that I believe that I am one of the fastest players you may ever play against. In fact, I believe that KNOWING what is going to happen (a la Cliff Thorburn) will in fact make one a faster player in the long run, not slower. For example, my opponent often after potting a Red, must then take time to survey the table to figure which colour to play. I nearly never do this. Literally, 95 % (19 of 20 shots), I know the colour that I am playing for before the Red is potted and it is quite rare that I will deviate from the "pre-Red" choice...only when I run significantly long or short of intended position obviously. Innumerable times my opponent has asked, "Why didn't you play Blue instead of Pink (or whatever)? You didn't even look at it." and the answer is that I intended to play Pink, and have no reason to change. Playing with this mindset actually greatly speeds up one's tempo. It is the reason why most professionals are so fast...no need to "think" when you "know" what is going to happen.

And bullet point 2) simply builds on this. When you begin thinking along the lines of bullet point 1), you are going to be wrong. Wrong a lot, in fact. But you have to stick with it. Most people have a poor understanding of how little spheres sliding and rolling on a flat surface will move after collisions with other little spheres. I am astounded to see the same positional mistakes made over and over again. This is where "line up" practice helps so much.....the pots are easy and so your focus has got to be on watching the White ball and learning exactly how it moves after collisions at all of the various angles and commit that action to your subconscious memory so you will recognize it when it comes up in match play. And thus is developed confidence. Confidence on the table is NOT just about being certain of the pot; it is a matter of understanding the entire shot in your mind before you play it. And when things happen on the table exactly the way you imagined it (remember Jack Karnehm), your confidence soars. I think very few people can understand this at twenty years old.

Comment

Originally Posted by acesinc View Post
                              Hi Dan-cat - I am astoundingly surprised to hear you say this! From what I know about you, you seem to have traveled a similar path to mine...played a lot and with passion when younger, hiatus for twenty-some years to serve time in the rat race, then realize you need to enjoy the finer things in life and back to the snooker in an aging but wiser middle aged body.

I can state definitively that if this decrepit old 50 year old body were to play a "World Championship" match against my 20 year old self, it would be a resounding 18 and 3 rout, the youngster without a chance. There would be very good reason for this and I would have thought it would be right up your alley. It has to do with wisdom and life experience...the right state of mind, as Cue Crafty said. Reading the paragraph above, I found it hard to believe it is coming from the same positive minded guy that I know.

To be fantastically good at this game, I would say you must put in 3 of every 4 hours at the table in practice exercises. On the other hand, if you are a player like me (and most I think) that may put in an hour or two a week at practice and as much time as you can in a friendly or tournament match, it seems to me that there are two primary things required for improvement: 1) shot selection, and 2) confidence that you can accomplish precisely what you determined that you wanted in bullet point 1). While I applaud the wisdom and strength of will of keeping yourself fit, it has very little to do with the state of your snooker game. (For the record, I am not in awful shape for a half-centenarian...normal aches and pains, a wonky knee, no prescriptions needed, I do walk the dog A LOT, probably average 2 to 3 miles a day, but I admit that I keep myself "hydrated" with a beer or two on those walks.)

So back to bullets 1) and 2), when I watch others play, more often than not, I disagree either with the shot they chose to play or the manner in which they chose to play it. Any who know me know that I cannot help but be a "numbers guy"....I put percentages on everything. Other than my kid, I have three other regular playing partners, each averaging about 2 to 3 hours a week (usually longer sessions but every couple weeks, not a regular weekly "date"). Of those, I literally disagree with shot selection of the best of them about half the time. The second best chooses the wrong shot 75 percent, three out of every four. And the worst of the bunch, I disagree with an astounding 9 out of every 10 shots. In full disclosure, since everyone utterly refuses to accept a handicap, I win about 2 out of 3 with the first guy, 3 of 4 with the second, and other than throwing the occasional game to keep up his interest level, 9 of 10 with the third. These players play what I call "arbitrary snooker" and I am wondering if you may be guilty of that.

First, I have to define what I mean by "shot" and "shot selection". To me, a "shot" is all encompassing--it means EVERYTHING that occurs from the time the White is stroked until the time that all balls come to rest. Most people seem to have no idea of all the events that will be occurring with all the various ball collisions and hence, my term of "arbitrary snooker". This type of play simply focuses on the pot and NOT on the shot. Time after time after time, I watch my opponent play a half-ball Red into a top pocket from White in baulk, pot it and White ends right in the middle of the pack of Reds....on absolutely nothing. Arbitrary snooker.

The epitome of NON-arbitrary snooker was an interview I read ages ago with Cliff Thorburn. The question was regarding what he thought of being dubbed the "Grinder" because of his slow, methodical play. As I recall, he referred back to his (baseball) pitching days and also his passion for golf, and said something along the lines of, "Before I will release the ball..." (referring to all of these sports) "...I will absolutely KNOW everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, that is going to happen." Now to me, this does not mean that you have to be slow....I daresay that I believe that I am one of the fastest players you may ever play against. In fact, I believe that KNOWING what is going to happen (a la Cliff Thorburn) will in fact make one a faster player in the long run, not slower. For example, my opponent often after potting a Red, must then take time to survey the table to figure which colour to play. I nearly never do this. Literally, 95 % (19 of 20 shots), I know the colour that I am playing for before the Red is potted and it is quite rare that I will deviate from the "pre-Red" choice...only when I run significantly long or short of intended position obviously. Innumerable times my opponent has asked, "Why didn't you play Blue instead of Pink (or whatever)? You didn't even look at it." and the answer is that I intended to play Pink, and have no reason to change. Playing with this mindset actually greatly speeds up one's tempo. It is the reason why most professionals are so fast...no need to "think" when you "know" what is going to happen.

And bullet point 2) simply builds on this. When you begin thinking along the lines of bullet point 1), you are going to be wrong. Wrong a lot, in fact. But you have to stick with it. Most people have a poor understanding of how little spheres sliding and rolling on a flat surface will move after collisions with other little spheres. I am astounded to see the same positional mistakes made over and over again. This is where "line up" practice helps so much.....the pots are easy and so your focus has got to be on watching the White ball and learning exactly how it moves after collisions at all of the various angles and commit that action to your subconscious memory so you will recognize it when it comes up in match play. And thus is developed confidence. Confidence on the table is NOT just about being certain of the pot; it is a matter of understanding the entire shot in your mind before you play it. And when things happen on the table exactly the way you imagined it (remember Jack Karnehm), your confidence soars. I think very few people can understand this at twenty years old.
                              the 20 year old me would absolutely laminate the 42 year old me, the current me would get knackered picking out his balls!
                              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

I hate watching someone line up the wrong shot, I know what's going to happen but they're blissfully unaware. I usually play with my dad and he does it every time. I must say I'm guilty of the same though, I think everyone is. The amount of times I've messed up a screwback shot and then thought, "you could've just rolled that in and been nice on the black you twat"

Comment

Working...
                                X