Alrocco.snooker secrets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    You just learn to allow for the deviation of the white.

You can't say that 'I'm playing this shot with half inch of side so I need to aim half inch away to compensate.

If you stab at the cueball firmly the side will take quicker than if you flow through the white cleanly.

Distance between CB and OB dictates how much you need to compensate... Not where you hit the ball.

The rest is just timing.

No pro uses side on every shot. It's just nonsense to suggest that.
    Not according to Shaun Murphy , who said exactly that the other week .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
      Do what works for you...

That sounds like lazy coachmanship...

... inventing words like a boss!

P.S outscored Tom Walker for fun in the 1 frame league tonight x
      Only just read this you reprobate... scores last night
      Pottr 101 v 2 one of the hall brothers
      Tom 89- 6 the other hall brother

Tough evening for the TSF lads!
      "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
        Not according to Shaun Murphy , who said exactly that the other week .
        Neil is there a link to a video of him saying this? I find it hard to believe.
        Also when I played Shaun Murphy the other year the cue ball wasn't zipping around with side every shot.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
          Where do you aim when using side then pottr ? amd I mean more than a 1/4 tip from centre which isn't really side to me.
          Probably each to their own but I allow for a slight deviation, but the cue ball still contacts the OB in the same place or very close to where it would do if I was potting a ball plain ball.
          I personally believe the OB reacts in almost the exact same way regardless of whether there is side on the cue ball or not, any side on the OB is so minimal it's almost unnoticeable to my eye.

It's difficult to say whether I aim a quarter inch left/right etc when playing with side as it's not even a conscious thought when on the shot, it's engrained from years of practice and is second nature.

Comment

• Originally Posted by lennon11 View Post
            I'd be very surprised if a pro comments on this drivel, just like you wouldn't hear a mathematical reason with an idiot that 2+2 isn't 7002.
            Hi lennon11, just to let you know that if you had a lesson then left it for a long period without understanding how do you expect to have benefited by it? If you were to contact me again I would be only too pleased to explain it to you again. Roy of Snooker Secrets

Comment

• Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
              Neil is there a link to a video of him saying this? I find it hard to believe.
              Also when I played Shaun Murphy the other year the cue ball wasn't zipping around with side every shot.
              shaun murphy did say it, if you watch those analysis stuff he mentions it. but tbh i think its alot of brown nosing. you can just see the shots and see that not every shot is played with side lol.

lets pot a dead straight long red and punch it in with side whilst trying to stun XD

Comment

• Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
                Probably each to their own but I allow for a slight deviation, but the cue ball still contacts the OB in the same place or very close to where it would do if I was potting a ball plain ball.
                I personally believe the OB reacts in almost the exact same way regardless of whether there is side on the cue ball or not, any side on the OB is so minimal it's almost unnoticeable to my eye.

It's difficult to say whether I aim a quarter inch left/right etc when playing with side as it's not even a conscious thought when on the shot, it's engrained from years of practice and is second nature.
                We’ve all been here before and the OB doesn’t react in the same way at all when using side.
                Do you remember TD’s vid he put up last year? It was all there for everyone to see what side does to the OB on contact.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by travisbickle
                  I’m not a fan of Roy’s, but anyone on here saying they aim for the pocket when using side is asking for trouble.

I don't think anyone has remotely suggested that on here. We all know when using side we have to compensate but only use it when needed! Not every damn shot. Otherwise I believe we all get by just fine with centre ball screw, stuns and follow through striking aiming for the centre of the pocket. But according to Roy, this is impossible as nobody hits centre ball so there is no way we can aim for the centre pocket. With that in mind, I'm the flukiest player alive then.
                  Last edited by the_unrepentant; 23 February 2018, 11:28 AM.
                  Customised full size Riley table with black pockets and Strachen 6811 Tournament Cloth all housed in an air-conditioned 8m x 5m Grande Servern Plus log cabin from Dunster House supported with RSJ's.

Comment

• Originally Posted by alrocco View Post
                    Hi lennon11, just to let you know that if you had a lesson then left it for a long period without understanding how do you expect to have benefited by it? If you were to contact me again I would be only too pleased to explain it to you again. Roy of Snooker Secrets
                    I think you will find this was me Roy, not Lennon11.

Anyhow, I think I may have sussed something out here. Roy, you won't mind me saying you are a man with plenty of life experience at a very good age of 87. To still have the passion for the game at 87 and the desire to help others is great. There is a but coming....BUT, when you 'coached' the likes of Cliff Thorburn and whoever else around that time or before, the game was a lot different because the playing surface was a lot different, as were the balls. The reaction was different and the balls 100% did throw on those heavier napped cloths. Maybe your technique worked back then more effectively, maybe not. I'm just trying to work out something you said to me when you played on my table. You got down and tried a few shots and missed. Then you said to me a number of times how incredibly responsive the balls were and its the best table you have played on and seen in a long time. The balls I use are industry standard. The same as they use on the pro tournaments and the same with the cloth i have. I'm just going to leave that there and let it sink in for a moment....
                    Last edited by the_unrepentant; 23 February 2018, 11:26 AM.
                    Customised full size Riley table with black pockets and Strachen 6811 Tournament Cloth all housed in an air-conditioned 8m x 5m Grande Servern Plus log cabin from Dunster House supported with RSJ's.

Comment

• Originally Posted by lennon11 View Post
                      Bang on.nailed it.done.
                      It seems by the way you express yourself that you have more than the art of Snooker to learn.

Comment

• Originally Posted by alrocco View Post
                        It seems by the way you express yourself that you have more than the art of Snooker to learn.
                        Roy come on....the guys could go to town on you on here and I think things have been fairly respectful so far.

Comment

• Originally Posted by the_unrepentant View Post
                          I think you will find this was me Roy, not Lennon11.

Anyhow, I think I may have sussed something out here. Roy, you won't mind me saying you are a man with plenty of life experience at a very good age of 87. To still have the passion for the game at 87 and the desire to help others is great. There is a but coming....BUT, when you 'coached' the likes of Cliff Thorburn and whoever else around that time or before, the game was a lot different because the playing surface was a lot different, as were the balls. The reaction was different and the balls 100% did throw on those heavier napped cloths. Maybe your technique worked back then more effectively, maybe not. I'm just trying to work out something you said to me when you played on my table. You got down and tried a few shots and missed. Then you said to me a number of times how incredibly responsive the balls were and its the best table you have played on and seen in a long time. The balls I use are industry standard. The same as they use on the pro tournaments and the same with the cloth i have. I'm just going to leave that there and let it sink in for a moment....
                          Ah now I know who you are, just to answer the statement you have just made, as I have already stated in previous messages, I have explained how the game has changed over the years and have had to keep up with them, I first started playing with ivory balls in the Joe Davis era, have seen MANY changes, but have adapted to them. When you say the balls threw on heavier napped cloths you have also got to remember the cue ball was MUCH heavier, then without going through all the changes over the years, I have had the experiance of ALL those changes. Also in those years I was just an ordinary player not looking for all the secrets of the game. What you DONT realize is that 99% of club players are still playing on club cloths which are much heavier, and are trying to do what the professionals are doing. It is impossible. As i said to you at the time of my visit to you was how responsive the balls and table was, of course you have to reajust to many things as EVERYTHING has to be adjusted , when I say everything I MEAN everything. So count yourself as one of the lucky ones, and on that table of yours you should be an accomplished player by now, if not give me a call. So perhaps what we have just gone through you should let it sink in . All the best Roy of Snooker Secrets

Comment

• this is how it should be done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_6d...ature=youtu.be
                            Last edited by matthias; 23 February 2018, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• I thought most of the clubs in the world these days are using 6811 cloths or Hainsworth Match, which are lighter and quicker than the cloths used back in the day.

When Cliff Thorburn said he initially had to adjust to the heavier cloths in England what he was talking about is he was used to the 28oz nylon blended Brunswick cloth which was used over here for years, along with Vitalite balls. Things were quite different for Cliff, Bill and Kirk when they came over.
                              Terry Davidson
                              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by matthias View Post
                                brilliant
                                reminds me of trying to explain cricket - when you are the team out you are trying to get in, by getting the team in, out; and when you are in you try not to get out by the team that is out
                                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                                X