2020 Tour Championship Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Billy View Post

I mean all this social distancing and having their own set of rests etc. I get the no crowds thing.
    Even if someone has tested negative, that doesn't guarantee they are not infected. False negative tests are a real problem, I have a mate who is a nurse, he had symptoms a few months ago, was swab tested, the test came back negative, so he went back on the wards. He had an antibody test last week which turned out positive, so he actually did have it. Was working in the hospital as normal while infected.
    Why take the risk?

-
    The fast and the furious,
    The slow and labourious,
    All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
      But where is the risk if everyone involved is testing negative every day?
      the risk is that someone tests positive just that once.... after being negative all those other times

the more people involved, the more risk of exposure; if audience allowed, the more risk to the players and back office...
      Last edited by DeanH; 20 June 2020, 05:04 PM.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

It's a bloody 9 ball table, no wonder all these tons are being made, those pocket templates must be adjustable. Maguires last pink, 11th frame, hit the cushion two feet from the yellow pocket and went in at pace, come on
        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

The red drifted like a car in slo-mo towards that center pocket

But Neil played it too slow too.

Has any other player made 6 tons in a race to 9 before?
          Last edited by fkhan; 20 June 2020, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
            Has any other player made 6 tons in a race to 9 before?
            No. :smile:

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post

No. :smile:
              Thanks for confirming that mate. It's just insane the quality of snooker he played today.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                It's a bloody 9 ball table, no wonder all these tons are being made, those pocket templates must be adjustable. Maguires last pink, 11th frame, hit the cushion two feet from the yellow pocket and went in at pace, come on
                I noted that as well, vmax, even Maguire thought it wasn't going in and was leaving the table - only to go back to pot the black.

I don't know if it's the pocket templates, sure enough it was Maguire's day: he was potting everything, even the most careless colours clearance I have seen this year (exactly that, the 11th frame: worth a re-watch on youtube!) which would typically end on the yellow on a normal day... and he went all the way down to the black! What did he eat today??? (looks like a maple shaft to me, BTW)

Comment

Maguire was playing great and deserved to win the table was a joke though ,its no wonder World snooker don't make the pocket templates available to the public ,there probably isn't such a thing any more .I'm not buying this cushion slide on new cloth rubbish anymore ,to a certain extent yes it will help but not with some of those shots that were going in .Probably about time for heavier cloths and ditch the table heaters .

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post
                    Maguire was playing great and deserved to win the table was a joke though ,its no wonder World snooker don't make the pocket templates available to the public ,there probably isn't such a thing any more .I'm not buying this cushion slide on new cloth rubbish anymore ,to a certain extent yes it will help but not with some of those shots that were going in .Probably about time for heavier cloths and ditch the table heaters .
                    The balls will kick one in five shots on heavier cloths, the balls are the reason why they only use super fine cloths. the pockets are simply too big, especially compared to the ones on the old billiard tables in our club. I'm pretty certain I could make a ton or two on that table, jesus wept, Maguire was walking away from several that he thought he missed and Neil was rolling his eyes skyward.
                    God knows what Trump will do today on a table that easy, pretty sure that Spencer's max, that was the first ever in a tournament but wasn't ratified due to pocket size, was made on a table harder than this one.

And as you say the commentatoprs banging on with their 'new cloth' excuse must be under contract not to speak out, Willie Thorne did and was dropped by the BBC, speaks volumes, RIP Willie, I was with you all the way.
                    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Why don't WST share the pockets templates? Surely, there is something fishy.

Comment

the templates are by WPBSA not WST, they did issue them some years ago - late 80s or early 90s, but not heard anything since.
                        Also the tables on the WS tour are fitted by World Snooker Services and I am sure they have the correct templates so you would think that every table would be the same, btu we know ourselves the same fitter with the same tools and two tables alongside each other can be different.

But I think I could have made a century on that table yesterday!

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                          the templates are by WPBSA not WST, they did issue them some years ago - late 80s or early 90s, but not heard anything since.
                          Also the tables on the WS tour are fitted by World Snooker Services and I am sure they have the correct templates so you would think that every table would be the same, btu we know ourselves the same fitter with the same tools and two tables alongside each other can be different.

But I think I could have made a century on that table yesterday!
                          My bad. So, WPBSA issued the pocket templates.

Correction.
                          Last edited by fkhan; 21 June 2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post

My bad. So, WPBSA issue the pocket templates.
                            they DID issue, past tense
                            Snooker Scene did a campaign back in the day and some templates where issued by WPBSA - I assume only to "accredited" table makers and fitters.
                            Further requests fell on deaf ears
                            But yes, WPBSA are the custodians of the World Snooker Professional template that is used for the Pro tour and affiliated tours.

IBSF used to have their own template as well, not sure if that is used any more.
                            Also, it has been said that the Chinese table makers have their own templates as well, how they compare to others I don't know.
                            Last edited by DeanH; 21 June 2020, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Neil did not have the crown on his waistcoat yesterday.
                              Last edited by fkhan; 21 June 2020, 01:15 PM.

Comment

maybe it is on his other waistcoat?

Comment

Working...
                                X