No announcement yet.

Cancellation/ Closed Doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sucks but was inevitable. Would pay to watch Judd v Ronnie streamed from a private house, best of 51 frames

Comment

This sucks especially for players like Trump and Robertson, and Murphy to a lesser extent, who would have gone to the WC on the back of some really good form. If it's eventually held in the summer months, the balance of power could completely change.

Comment

I actually worry for the future of the game a little bit after all this. I mean, we all know this is a life changing event, the economic fallout is going to be the biggest challenge of all time given the whole world has never been in lockdown on a scale this huge.

When this eventually passes, initially life will just carry on as it were for a short period before the bite of the downturn of the economy means enormous job losses and debts that many people will be facing. I think big sports like football, golf whilst will be hit with revenues going forward over time, the sport itself will largely continue.

However snooker is a relatively unique sport, it relies heavily on betting companies to sponsor events, when their revenues with no sport are already being severely hit, so therefore sponsorship is inevitably going to be harder to get as they concentrate more on football and other bigger sports. Added into that, how many clubs and social clubs where many people play snooker are going to be closing after this period of inactivity? It could be very tough for some businesses as again snooker is a niche sport, its a luxury many working class folk probably won't be able to afford to play as they worry about their own job security, along with debts they will rack up over the coming months.

Comment

I actually worry about the future of everything right now. This might be changing our time more drastically than even WW2 did... I hope it's a change for good, long term...
          "That pocket moved!"

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
            I actually worry for the future of the game a little bit after all this. I mean, we all know this is a life changing event, the economic fallout is going to be the biggest challenge of all time given the whole world has never been in lockdown on a scale this huge.

When this eventually passes, initially life will just carry on as it were for a short period before the bite of the downturn of the economy means enormous job losses and debts that many people will be facing. I think big sports like football, golf whilst will be hit with revenues going forward over time, the sport itself will largely continue.

However snooker is a relatively unique sport, it relies heavily on betting companies to sponsor events, when their revenues with no sport are already being severely hit, so therefore sponsorship is inevitably going to be harder to get as they concentrate more on football and other bigger sports. Added into that, how many clubs and social clubs where many people play snooker are going to be closing after this period of inactivity? It could be very tough for some businesses as again snooker is a niche sport, its a luxury many working class folk probably won't be able to afford to play as they worry about their own job security, along with debts they will rack up over the coming months.
            Good post , and agree......it’s going to be tough
            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neuronic View Post
              I actually worry about the future of everything right now. This might be changing our time more drastically than even WW2 did... I hope it's a change for good, long term...
              I'd like to think it may change our whole attitude toward the food we eat. ALL of these viruses come from other animals, the species crossover of viruses which our immune systems are not used to can be a real bitch. This one's basically a rather nasty cold, but the way we're going it's only a matter of time before a REALLY deadly one comes along and wipes the lot of us out. And you can bet your life that if this thing came from, say, Toffu, it and all related food types would now be banned, worldwide.

-
              Last edited by PatBlock; 21 March 2020, 10:37 PM.
              The fast and the furious,
              The slow and labourious,
              All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Originally Posted by peterpackage View Post
                Sucks but was inevitable. Would pay to watch Judd v Ronnie streamed from a private house, best of 51 frames
                That could be the future of the game. Pay per view of live big cash games between players on their home tables and a registered referee so there can be betting action with sites like Betfair. An informal format but with high stakes a bit like Late Night Poker.
                www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post

I'd like to think it may change our whole attitude toward the food we eat. ALL of these viruses come from other animals, the species crossover of viruses which our immune systems are not used to can be a real bitch. This one's basically a rather nasty cold, but the way we're going it's only a matter of time before a REALLY deadly one comes along and wipes the lot of us out. And you can bet your life that if this thing came from, say, Toffu, it and all related food types would now be banned, worldwide.

-
                  Yeah, this. Same for industrial lifestock farming, these are gigantic incubators for animal-human virus mutation. Imagine Ebola not killing quite so fast and thus spreading. We don't want something like that.

I like your avatar by the way.
                  "That pocket moved!"

Comment

Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post

-
                    I agree, the meat industry has huge political clout but everyone knows that the most environmental damage comes from livestock farming, methane, water, clearing of forest and carbon footprint of foodstuffs. It's down to the individual to change their diet to plant based, I'm half way there as a vegetarian but dairy has to go soon as well and I'm seriously looking into it.

There is a really deadly one already called ebola, but seeing as black people in africa get it most don't take it seriously, 'they've been shagging monkeys' is one thing I've heard maybe it takes something like this for real change to happen.
                    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Judd's quest for 100 centuries seems so unimportant in the scheme of things, but it was a small joy for us to look forward to

I see us being in lockdown longer than a year. All sports, the whole world is in chaos

IF things pan out as PM Boris thinks they will, at least some of the players and some of the Hearns (and some of us) won't make it through this

When things do eventually get back to normal, the priority will be sports like Football, not snooker

Comment

Originally Posted by neuronic View Post
                        I like your avatar by the way.
                        Yeah, it's sound advice and never more so than now.

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                        I'm half way there as a vegetarian but dairy has to go soon as well and I'm seriously looking into it.
                        Good to hear Steve, you won't regret it.

-
                        The slow and labourious,

Comment

oh dear me, my wife is lactose and gluten intolerant and the pains she has gone through to find alternatives has been painful for me as well.
                          She wishes she could have gluten and lactose stuff, would be so much easier and as she says often more flavoursome
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                            oh dear me, my wife is lactose and gluten intolerant and the pains she has gone through to find alternatives has been painful for me as well.
                            She wishes she could have gluten and lactose stuff, would be so much easier and as she says often more flavoursome
                            Yeah, a lot of gluten free stuff is pretty bland, but if needs must....

Plenty of tasty alternatives to the lactose stuff though.

-
                            Last edited by PatBlock; 22 March 2020, 11:51 PM.
                            The slow and labourious,

Comment

the alternative cheese stinks and I don't mean in an smelly-cheese way that some people like either, the wife warns me when she is going to heat some of it up!
                              Last edited by DeanH; 23 March 2020, 08:56 AM.
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Saves on the heating bills Dean
                                Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Working...
                                X