No announcement yet.

2021 World Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's a good chance we might have all-former-champions semis this year... no idea when this last happened
    "That pocket moved!"

Comment

• Originally Posted by neuronic View Post
      There's a good chance we might have all-former-champions semis this year... no idea when this last happened
      That would be never, or at least not in the time that the World Championship has been played in this format. The years 1998 and 1999 had four players who are now World champions in the semi-finals, but they weren't all at the time. The same goes for the year 1977, if you include the pre-Crucible champion Pulman.
      Last edited by Odrl; 26 April 2021, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post

That would be never, or at least not in the time that the World Championship has been played in this format. The years 1998 and 1999 had four players who are now World champions in the semi-finals, but they weren't all the time. The same goes for the year 1977, if you include the pre-Crucible champion Pulman.
        We might be in for a little bit of history then... surely feels like it
        "That pocket moved!"

Comment

• As much as I agree with O'Sullivan about the lack of talent in snooker at the moment, to call Yan Bingtao "a plodder" is completely uncalled for. When Yan thrashed him in the 2017 International Championship, O'Sullivan said that no one other than Hendry or Higgins had ever played that well against him, but now that Yan is the Masters champion and genuinely one of the best players in the world, he is suddenly unexciting and not all that great?

Comment

As much as I agree with O'Sullivan about the lack of talent in snooker at the moment, to call Yan Bingtao "a plodder" is completely uncalled for. When Yan thrashed him in the 2017 International Championship, O'Sullivan said that no one other than Hendry or Higgins had ever played that well against him, but now that Yan is the Masters champion and genuinely one of the best players in the world, he is suddenly unexciting and not all that great?

remember this the THE Ronnie that only recent said he could player snooker for 10 more years, and not that long ago said "I don't need snooker", and previously, "I love snooker" and before that "I wont be around playing snooker for much longer".
            I am sure I have missed many similar swings
            I tend to not take much from what he says, just watch him play
            so here's to 10 more years of him playing lovely snooker
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• I'm actually pretty sure Yan will be the first asian world champion.... not this year, though
              "That pocket moved!"

Comment

• Unusual to have a relaxing time as a Judd fan at the worlds. Even when he won it I was throwing stuff at the TV for the first 2 rounds. All set up for a stressful quarter final no doubt. I need a new TV anyway.

Comment

• My head would predict Quarter Finals

McGill v Bingham
                  Williams v Selby
                  Robertson v Wilson
                  Murphy v Trump

but my heart says Allen and Yan will both be there . I love a fightback

Comment

• Originally Posted by balkend View Post
                    My head would predict Quarter Finals

McGill v Bingham
                    Williams v Selby
                    Robertson v Wilson
                    Murphy v Trump

but my heart says Allen and Yan will both be there . I love a fightback
                    If your predictions are right ( you wouldn’t get get great odds on them at the moment ) then we are in for intriguing matches. I like a match up of opposing styles and Robbo v Wilson is the stand our for me. The next most interesting will be Williams v Selby especially considering Williams go for everything attitude at the moment .

Comment

• Cant see Mark coming back at Selby, now he's got a good gap he will close ranks and shut mark out, he's a master at it.
                      Snooker is a game of simple shots played to perfection, Joe Davies

Comment

That would be never, or at least not in the time that the World Championship has been played in this format. The years 1998 and 1999 had four players who are now World champions in the semi-finals, but they weren't all the time. The same goes for the year 1977, if you include the pre-Crucible champion Pulman.
                        Indeed.
                        1988 had three former champions and a former finalist.
                        1983 three former champions.

And 1984, 2002, 2014, 2017 each had two former champions and two former finalists.

Comment

• Pretty surprised to hear Neil Foulds predict Trump will win 'only' 3 world titles in his career. Personally I think he is likely to be around 7 when all is said and done.

Comment

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post

Indeed.
                            1988 had three former champions and a former finalist.
                            1983 three former champions.

And 1984, 2002, 2014, 2017 each had two former champions and two former finalists.
                            I was hoping someone would look that up, I was too lazy... thanks

So if four of the remaining six former champions make the semis it will be highest class semis we ever had, CV-wise... maybe someone wants to look up if we had semis with the players ranked one to four
                            "That pocket moved!"

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ronnie's tip View Post
                              Pretty surprised to hear Neil Foulds predict Trump will win 'only' 3 world titles in his career. Personally I think he is likely to be around 7 when all is said and done.
                              That's interesting, did he say why he thinks that?

-
                              The fast and the furious,
                              The slow and labourious,
                              All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Originally Posted by neuronic View Post

I was hoping someone would look that up, I was too lazy... thanks

So if four of the remaining six former champions make the semis it will be highest class semis we ever had, CV-wise... maybe someone wants to look up if we had semis with the players ranked one to four

1990 semis: Steve Davis (1), John Parrot (2), Stephen Hendry (3), Jimmy White (4) ... hard to beat line up
                                "That pocket moved!"

Comment

Working...
                                X