2021 World Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post

I haven't listened to Davis often enough to make that judgement, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I do think he is wrong about this one though. Trump is playing some good stuff for sure and has the results to show for it, but there are currently nine top16 players who are in their 40s or late 30s and have been there for a long time. I would say Robertson is the only player in that group that is playing his best snooker at the moment. Trump is 31, so I would expect him to stand out against competition that much older than he is. Anything else would be an anomaly, if he truly is playing some of the best snooker anyone has ever played. That said, if you put a 31-year-old Higgins in today's game, I am not sure Trump would be world number 1 right now.
    Or if you sent Trump back in time to the 90’s would he even be in the top 6? If it were possible to compare players from different generations at their peak on today’s tables, who do we think would be the GOAT?? Hendry??

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post

I haven't listened to Davis often enough to make that judgement, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I do think he is wrong about this one though. Trump is playing some good stuff for sure and has the results to show for it, but there are currently nine top16 players who are in their 40s or late 30s and have been there for a long time. I would say Robertson is the only player in that group that is playing his best snooker at the moment. Trump is 31, so I would expect him to stand out against competition that much older than he is. Anything else would be an anomaly, if he truly is playing some of the best snooker anyone has ever played. That said, if you put a 31-year-old Higgins in today's game, I am not sure Trump would be world number 1 right now.
      the reason there's very few good young players in the game is because there arent enough facilities in britain for new players to familiarize themselves with pro snooker , the bash on the high street clubs that most lads have only played is a different world to a pro snooker environment , especially against players who've been playing in the pro's for decades , thats the reason theres nine top 16 players in their 40's or late 30's and have been there for a long time , and trump practices at the exclusive grove academy in romford , without the use of an elite practice facility i strongly doubt he would be in this position , if there are so many players who are in their 40's or late 30's doesnt that tell you that it was never a young mans game in the first place .

the reason williams higgins and o sullivan were at a young age all in the last 4 of the 99 wsc is because they were supplanting the likes of dennis taylor and doug mountjoy who were never that good in the first place

Comment

• Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post

Kyren Wilson is a good example of the modern snooker robot, along with most of the Chinese players. Ok if you like watching that kinda thing!
        i agree with the great Danger Steve , geography had a lot to do with wilsons progress i think he got a lot of practice with peter ebdon in northamptonshire and i think his dad might be a big snooker fan too

Comment

• Originally Posted by trains View Post

i agree with the great Danger Steve , geography had a lot to do with wilsons progress i think he got a lot of practice with peter ebdon in northamptonshire and i think his dad might be a big snooker fan too
          His dad built a bloody big snooker shed/garage in the garden Lol.. I think that qualifies him as a fan, or a supportive parent at least. Having the talent is one thing, access to top tables is something else and being able to afford coaching is probably another factor that holds back many younger players from poorer areas.

Just out of interest and changing the topic slightly, what is/was Jamie Jones’s background? I saw him in a pre-match interview the other day and didn’t recognise him at first in his jazzy tracksuit and cap!!

Comment

His dad built a bloody big snooker shed/garage in the garden Lol.. I think that qualifies him as a fan, or a supportive parent at least. Having the talent is one thing, access to top tables is something else and being able to afford coaching is probably another factor that holds back many younger players from poorer areas.

Just out of interest and changing the topic slightly, what is/was Jamie Jones’s background? I saw him in a pre-match interview the other day and didn’t recognise him at first in his jazzy tracksuit and cap!!
            i wouldn't know anything about jones or other Welsh players like Michael white outside of google , interestingly enough jones , white , duane jones , daniel wells , Andrew Pagett Jackson page and our mate Jamie Clarke all come from a few miles between each other so there must be a good club or two down there , and page is mark Williams protege or pupil , also backing and influence and help from terry griffiths would be my guess

Comment

Or if you sent Trump back in time to the 90’s would he even be in the top 6? If it were possible to compare players from different generations at their peak on today’s tables, who do we think would be the GOAT?? Hendry??
              As fun as it is to think about it, I have no idea.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post

Agree with this. Mark William's A game now is arguably better since he did the sight right thing, but other than the last few months, he hasn't really put in much effort since he won his 3rd world title. Ronnie has always been erratic, but he's even more so now, and he throws in a lot more careless misses now, even when he's playing well. I used to actually get annoyed watching Ronnie, because when he was flowing you knew he just wasn't going to miss anything.

Higgins has probably seen his form drop off more than the other 2. He's great at times, but he has way more dodgy performances than he did 10 or even 20 years ago. All still great players, but all past their peak other than in patches.
                Think Higgins had some dodgy performances in the Middle East ten years and IMO should never have been let within two miles of a snooker table for 3 years .

As for comparing the 80’s 90’s to these current times is pointless as we can’t get in a time machine to prove a point either way .trumps 31 ,Hendry was done and dusted by that age with 7 world titles in his pocket ,Ronnie has overtaken many of Hendrys records as he has gone on well in to his middle 40’s but he has deteriorated in the last few years as has Williams ,Higgins , etc ,no they are not better now ,the consistency is gone ,top snooker is a young mans game now .Trains is bringing up the table scenario ,practice conditions old chestnut again and I really can’t be arsed to go down that route again .I will say it’s the changing of the cloths every three days that is the problem ,and Star tables are rubbish .

Comment

• AMG - SB 13-12
                  MW - MS 13-11 (here’s hoping!)
                  NR - KW 13-8
                  SM - JT 10-13

Comment

• Watching Mark Selby last night, I thought i was getting a wobble in my eyes but the camera showed him several times front on, during his feathers his whole body sways, so it wasn't my eyes, reminded me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmUdd8G0ToA

Snooker is a game of simple shots played to perfection, Joe Davies

Comment

• Originally Posted by John Flaf View Post
                      Watching Mark Selby last night, I thought i was getting a wobble in my eyes but the camera showed him several times front on, during his feathers his whole body sways, so it wasn't my eyes, reminded me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmUdd8G0ToA
                      Yes, he looks like he has so much tension through his face and neck, can't be doing him any good long term. Presume it's a focus thing. Works for him though, so who knows.

Comment

• There's not doubting Selby gets through the ball extremely well and is very accurate, but this swaying movement and shakey head are some of the reasons I can't handle watching him play, just does my head in. Others reasons are because he still seems to favour slow grinding play over attacking play even when he looks at his best to me potting long reds and attacking the game. He always goes back into his comfortable safety shell.
                        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Selby 100% long pot success and 99% overall pot success over the first 4 frames
                          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• Originally Posted by Neil Taperell View Post
                            Selby 100% long pot success and 99% overall pot success over the first 4 frames
                            So there's still room to improve...
                            "That pocket moved!"

Comment

• Originally Posted by neuronic View Post

So there's still room to improve...
                              Lolz!! That made me giggle.
                              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Murphy playing as well as I've seen him in years. He usually plays pretty well against Judd normally and it's close at the moment so hoping for a tight match with lots of breaks.
                                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Working...
                                X