2024 World Championship Qualifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by ken147 View Post
    Stan Moody, the BBC putting him up on a pedestal. Why? To be honest he's just an average player...
    Have to agree, his considerations ...and re considerations, on shots, just scream of an average snooker brain that isn't able to play shots instinctively or confidently. So my fear is that he is of an age where there should be no fear ....and he already has it...
    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

Have to agree, his considerations ...and re considerations, on shots, just scream of an average snooker brain that isn't able to play shots instinctively or confidently. So my fear is that he is of an age where there should be no fear ....and he already has it...
      He's said he suffers from the yips, I think all the fidgeting and checking and rechecking etc are all a part of that. It seemed quite bad in this match compared to the more recent ones but I suppose that's how the yips go.
      He obviously has talent whether he has the temperament we will have to wait and see.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

He's said he suffers from the yips, I think all the fidgeting and checking and rechecking etc are all a part of that. It seemed quite bad in this match compared to the more recent ones but I suppose that's how the yips go.
        He obviously has talent whether he has the temperament we will have to wait and see.
        That's sad but not something that should happen to a lad, if you're yipping at 17 then I can't see a bright future for him. I don't know all the circumstances around his condition so I'll shut up now and wish him all the best!
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Jimmy played poorly yesterday as well, some good pots but out of position every other shot as usual, can't make the recovery shots like he used to and his safety is as bad as it ever was. I started to watch the Moody v Shehab match but the lad was like a slow motion Mark Allen so I gave up on that one, can't see a future for him if he carries on like that.
          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

It doesn't look like the yips to me, not the classic sort that was evident at times in Ding and Hendry where the follow through is sometimes quick in order to hit the cueball. He was absolutely terrible in the junior world champs last year where he won his tour card, I made a post on that at the time about his constant indecisiveness and getting down and getting up numerous times. I didn't think it was the yips though, for me he is simply trying too hard, because the pressure is so obviously on him as he's been talked up as some prodigious talent, yet he really isn't and never was, not in comparison to juniors of the past like Trump, Ronnie and others etc. Because of that pressure he can't cope with it, and this brings on anxiety in matches as his father and other members of the team sponsoring him are there in attendance, expecting big things.

For me he's just got a good PR team behind him I think that are trying to big him up, the BBC program where they filmed him for example, that doesn't happen ordinarily unless someone is trying to push them into the limelight. What's he actually achieved that was so amazing as a junior that warranted such publicity and being talked up as a future star?
            Last edited by cueman; 11 April 2024, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Who cares if the BBC made some programme about Moody, why on earth should that be used to criticise him ? Kid's a good player who just happened to lose. Its called competition, gosh.

Comment

Wow, Ben Woolaston made Jensen Kendrick work very hard for his win. Never seen so many well layed snookers! Think the right man won though, Jensen played well.
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Never expected Kendrick to beat Woolaston over a BO19 given how much he's struggled to get wins this season.

Amazes me when it comes down to the end of the season, how many players under threat from losing their tour card manage to find form and get the results to stay on. Didn't Jamie Clarke need to get to the crucible a few years back to stay on and ended up winning a few matches. Kendrick still under threat but given himself a good chance.

Comment

Good win for Wee Dott. Looked to be potting quite well. I love watching the rankings at this time of year. Always a scramble for a a top 64 place. Plenty ranking points on offer. Will be keeping an eye on Scott Donaldson V Peter Lines today. Scott could really do with a win but seems to be struggling atm.

Comment

Wow, Ben Woolaston made Jensen Kendrick work very hard for his win. Never seen so many well layed snookers! Think the right man won though, Jensen played well.
                      Whoever gave Kendrick the nickname "The Stoke Storm" (from his Wikipedia entry) has a much better sense of humour than I do ;-)

Comment

Originally Posted by trains View Post
                        Who cares if the BBC made some programme about Moody, why on earth should that be used to criticise him ? Kid's a good player who just happened to lose. Its called competition, gosh.
                        Is Moody not a BBC fave because he is Murphy's (ex) prodigy and the BBC seem to accomodate Murphy?

Comment

I like Michael, I think he has a fun personality that works well on YouTube etc.

Part of his problem, I believe is his ability to remain on an even keel in match play and trust his instincts. Confidence is everything in this game and although he has huge talent I think doubt from losses creeps into the psyche.

IMHO he just needs to dumb down his natural enthusiasm and keep a more even keel on good shots bad shots. I’m not advocating Mark Allen’s style but there is a lesson in mindset he could consider from Allen’s game. Nothing either upsets or excites Mark Allen and that maybe his best asset these days.

A little of that may help Holty, a bit less heart on the sleeve.

But then…. It wouldn’t be him would it…?!?! 🧐
                          Alex Higgins was possibly the ultimate heart on sleeve player, he was loved for it and magnetic to watch, in between eating cigarettes and drinking vodka and orange. I suppose the point I am thinking of is that heart on sleeve is a workable method for some players, but maybe if he did reign it in a bit it would help. But then as you say, it wouldn't be him, and the same with Higgins, would he have been the same player?
                          Last edited by FredDavis'Leg; 13 April 2024, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by FredDavis'Leg View Post

Is Moody not a BBC fave because he is Murphy's (ex) prodigy and the BBC seem to accomodate Murphy?
                            Tbh don't really know or care, my point is he lost to a good player, thats already been proved yesterday as Shehab is only trailing 4-5 going into this afternoon's session.

Comment

Un nooh still missing a lot, Davis could beat him.

I quite like the potential of Sanderson Lam and Louis Heathcote, still not easy though.

Comment

Originally Posted by trains View Post
                                Un nooh still missing a lot, Davis could beat him.

I quite like the potential of Sanderson Lam and Louis Heathcote, still not easy though.
                                Lisowski seems to be going okay today atm.

Comment

Working...
                                X