Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

German Masters Qualifying

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • German Masters Qualifying

    Unbelievable!

    Deciding frame between McManus and Drago and McManus has a bit of luck to leave Drago needing 2 snookers on the blue which he gets to be just 13 behind with a free ball shot on the pink in the top to go down for the blue near the brown, but he plays it too hard, misses the pink and has a brain fart and sticks his hand out to McManus as if conceding as he has left the blue on and assumes he will lose.

    He then realises it's not a total gimme and he's still just 13 behind with 18 on but he's conceded as they shook hands, he doesn't want to have conceded now he realises but the ref asks McManus if he's happy to take the concession and he seems to say yes, we shook hands.

    Drago points at the balls on the table in despair and the ref walks to him and shakes his hand saying unlucky, Drago then starts slapping himself in the face and walks to the corner and leans against the scaffolding for a cry.

    Bloody shame for a decider to end like that, I also think McManus should have accepted it was an error and offered to play on as he was a pot away from winning anyway, it wasn't a total gimme but he should have got it, bad feelings created now.

  • #2
    Why should he go pot the blue? The match has been conceded, imagine he got a kick on the blue and drago cleared up to win! I know both guys well but drago knows he conceded so I think alan was right not to play the blue

    Comment


    • #3
      He shouldn't be conceding on the other guy's shot either.

      A concession is just that, a concession i.e. the match is over.

      Comment


      • #4
        Yes, that could have happened and he's already missed a couple of chances to put the match away and seemed grateful for any way to get it over with but t's not very sporting is it, not very English or in the spirit that the game was invented to be played in.

        In fact, one could say it's so dishonourable to insist on keeping the concession by mistake to win that in the old days he would be given a loaded revolver and told to go to the smoking room and do the decent thing to restore his honour and that of the game.

        Comment


        • #5
          I hope he didn't break his cue or hurt him self more. You could here more noise later from watching the other stream.
          I have to agree with McManus with taking the concession. You can only lose after that.
          Cuemaxx snooker channel on youtube

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by sberry View Post
            Yes, that could have happened and he's already missed a couple of chances to put the match away and seemed grateful for any way to get it over with but t's not very sporting is it, not very English or in the spirit that the game was invented to be played in.

            In fact, one could say it's so dishonourable to insist on keeping the concession by mistake to win that in the old days he would be given a loaded revolver and told to go to the smoking room and do the decent thing to restore his honour and that of the game.
            If upholding the spirit/honour of the game you wouldn't concede when it's your opponent's turn.

            Comment


            • #7
              Sometimes we should just look to do the right thing not look for blame in others or for excuses, but then it is a different world today, everybody is after something and blind eyes are turned to morals and principles especially if it's to our advantage.

              Don't think we've heard the last of this though.

              Comment


              • #8
                A few basic morals/principles when playing snooker:

                1) Don't concede on the other guy's shot.
                2) All concessions are final.

                I feel sorry for Drago but it is all his own fault. McManus has done nothing wrong.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I caught the very end of the match in time to see Drago slapping himself, wondered what it was all about. Big shame for Drago, but he shouldnt have conceded like that. Either way i like both players, so a no lose situation for me.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Drago conceded. End of story. This isn't about morals or principles. He's an experienced professional and should know better than rushing to shake hand without even checking the situation properly. It was an error, indeed, but McManus is a righteous winner and it would've been stupid for him to show any mercy for a stupid act like that. At the end of the day, it shouldn't even be a matter of negotiation between the players. The referee shouldn't have allowed them to play even it would've been ok for McManus.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      13 behind, free shot on pink which he does not pot, so he is still 13 behind with Blue to Black on table, so he is no longer after snookers, so he cannot concede?

                      If I have the situation right from the description. the referee should not have allowed the concession anyway (even if they have shaken hands) and McManus would not have been asked and play would have continued.

                      sec 4 (5)(c) A player shall not concede a frame in any match unless snookers are required. Any breach of this rule shall be regarded as ungentlemanly conduct or misconduct by the player concerned.
                      Up the TSF!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DeanH View Post
                        13 behind, free shot on pink which he does not pot, so he is still 13 behind with Blue to Black on table, so he is no longer after snookers, so he cannot concede?

                        If I have the situation right from the description. the referee should not have allowed the concession anyway (even if they have shaken hands) and McManus would not have been asked and play would have continued.

                        sec 4 (5)(c) A player shall not concede a frame in any match unless snookers are required. Any breach of this rule shall be regarded as ungentlemanly conduct or misconduct by the player concerned.
                        So the ref should award the frame to McManus for "ungentlemanly conduct or misconduct by the player concerned"

                        i.e Drago for conceding ?

                        -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Sorry sberry you must have posted this thread just after I checked to see if there was one.

                          -
                          The fast and the furious,
                          The slow and labourious,
                          All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            No worries, there was a time when I was right and only a cad and a rotter would think otherwise but it is different today, it is no longer better to lose with dignity and honour as opposed to win at all costs without, if that had been a first frame would they have done that, would you do that if we were having a friendly game? Are you a sportsman/woman or not?

                            Good rule spot by DeanH though I think it would attract a warning from the ref as in "are you sure Tony" rather than a frame/match penalty. Lessons to be learned all round here.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by billabong View Post
                              So the ref should award the frame to McManus for "ungentlemanly conduct or misconduct by the player concerned"

                              i.e Drago for conceding ?

                              -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              I would think the ref should have said straight away that "sorry Mr Drago you cannot concede, no snookers required". Now if TD had continued to want the concession, then this part of the rule would come into affect I would think.
                              Remember when ROS conceded to SH and walked out, the frame and match was afforded to SH under this ruling (I think ).
                              As been said, maybe some lessons (and not just by TD) need to be learnt.
                              all the best
                              Up the TSF!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X