X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• luke-h
    replied
    Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
    There's a middle-aged Scots guy who might be more deserving of either first or second place.

100 pc this. you cannot exclude higgins or hendry from a top 5 best break builders

Leave a comment:

• gavpowell
    replied
    Originally Posted by arbitrage View Post

only natural that ronnie would feel pressure playing ding (and vice versa), since he is the 2nd best breakbuilder in the history of the game after ronnie
    There's a middle-aged Scots guy who might be more deserving of either first or second place.

Leave a comment:

• Where's Willie?
    replied
    I don't think Ronnie is a choker by any means but at the same time I wouldn't say he was the best under pressure either, certainly not in the same league as Higgins, Selby or Hendry who actually play better when the pressure is greatest. The fact is he's so good from the front that he's hardly ever put under significant pressure but on the odd occasions when he is he often ends up losing the match. Think of the Masters finals against Selby, Higgins and Hunter down the years. The big titles he has won he has usually been miles ahead and pretty much coasted to victory, certainly this is true of all his WC finals.
    I would think if he plays like he did in this match against Robertson he will probably lose. The problem for Robertson is I don't think he will. If you look at Ronnie's recent matches in PTCs he's often played badly and scraped through one match and then been sensational in the next, winning 4-0 in about half an hour. I could see him doing something similar to Robertson tomorrow, blitzing him for the first mini session, going in 4-0 up and then cruising to victory.
    Hope not, as I would like to see another great match. I would say the first frame is a must for Robertson, win it and the match could be nip and tuck all the way, lose it and he could get swept away.

Leave a comment:

• arbitrage
    replied
    Originally Posted by streamer45 View Post
    He was obviously referring to Ding, (14 titles). :P
    thanks~~~~~

Leave a comment:

• streamer45
    replied
    Originally Posted by arbitrage View Post
    25 ranking titles incl. 5 wscs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_O'Sullivan
    He was obviously referring to Ding, (14 titles). :P

Leave a comment:

• arbitrage
    replied
    Originally Posted by wake_up_bomb View Post
    Bit harsh to call the five times world champion and 14 times title winner chokers! God help the rest of us. The fact is that when it comes down to the final few balls like that, everyone that has ever played gets nervous. Sometimes you overcome the nerves, sometimes you don't. That's just a fact of human nature. I've seen the toughest competitors in the world in every sport get nervous at some point, even if you go back and watch the 2008 Wimbledon final, Nadal gets extremely nervous in the 4th set tie-break when he has a winning lead. It happens, you can miss anything at the end, how often do players miss frame ball in completely inconsequential frames?

25 ranking titles incl. 5 wscs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_O'Sullivan

only natural that ronnie would feel pressure playing ding (and vice versa), since he is the 2nd best breakbuilder in the history of the game after ronnie
    Last edited by arbitrage; 23 November 2013, 05:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mythman69
    replied
    Originally Posted by wake_up_bomb View Post
    Bit harsh to call the five times world champion and 14 times title winner chokers! God help the rest of us. The fact is that when it comes down to the final few balls like that, everyone that has ever played gets nervous. Sometimes you overcome the nerves, sometimes you don't. That's just a fact of human nature. I've seen the toughest competitors in the world in every sport get nervous at some point, even if you go back and watch the 2008 Wimbledon final, Nadal gets extremely nervous in the 4th set tie-break when he has a winning lead. It happens, you can miss anything at the end, how often do players miss frame ball in completely inconsequential frames?
    Sounds like you are arguing that even the world's best sports players can sometimes choke in pressure situations. People get nervous under pressure and sometimes choke. However, chokers always choke. Greg Norman comes to mind.

Still, even chokers can come good. Port Adelaide winning the 2004 Grand Final.

I don't think ROS is a choker, but he can miss in high pressure situations. Like Steve Davis did on the final black against Dennis Taylor in the 1985 World Championship.
    Last edited by mythman69; 23 November 2013, 04:32 AM. Reason: added pic

Leave a comment:

• wake_up_bomb
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CueInAction
    replied
    Originally Posted by Smiffie View Post
    I have only ever had one criticism of Ronnie (if you can call it that) and that has been his inability to ( without being disrespectful) hold his own when being questioned in the post match chat.

However tonight's chat I felt he spoke with confidence, the humor was perfectly placed and his compliments were sincere and I feel that this is all that had been missing from his "all round" sportsmanship.

Did anyone else feel that ?
    Got to agree with this, Ronnie seems to be enjoying the game a lot more recently, like he is happy just to get out there and compete.

As for Table_of_Reds comment, what a bunch of crap!! Ronnie has more bottle than the rest of current tour players combined and has shown that time and time again. Ding admittedly hadn't filled his potential these last few years after being hyped up in his teens, but the guy has won the last 3 ranking tournaments and has shown his grit & determination is winning them

Leave a comment:

• Steve748
    replied
    Yes I agree with you, Ronnie came over a lot better than I have seen him for years and it may in part because he wanted to talk about the game and was able to, rather than in the past when the questions have been about what is going on in his head.

He still says 'yer know' far too much!

Leave a comment:

• Smiffie
    replied
    I have known Ronnie since he was 12 when I bought a cue from his dad, He gave me one game, (to give me a chance to get a feel for the cue) Ronnie made a 70-odd I had about 3 shots and thought, " this aint a bad cue" .

I have only ever had one criticism of Ronnie (if you can call it that) and that has been his inability to ( without being disrespectful) hold his own when being questioned in the post match chat.

However tonight's chat I felt he spoke with confidence, the humor was perfectly placed and his compliments were sincere and I feel that this is all that had been missing from his "all round" sportsmanship.

Did anyone else feel that ?

Regardless, what a great game and comeback, in a way I am Glad Carter lost last night because with his track record against Ronnie it wouldn't be such a good game to watch, however now he is playing Neil we know we are going to get a game worthy of spending the night watching.

Leave a comment:

• Steve748
    replied
    Originally Posted by Table_of_Reds View Post
    Both players are a pair of bottleless chokers, O'Sullivan choked three times, Ding twice
    Just trolling.. they both choked...yeah right and I guess you have never done that have you? Misses like that has happened for donkeys years... were you alive for the Davis- Taylor final in '85?

I thought a very gutsy performance from Ronnie and it's good to see him enjoying his game again and he has the ability to up his game when he has to and he will for the final.

Leave a comment:

• scottley
    replied
    Choker, yeah ok then, i've never seen Ronnies positional play be so bad, but he has won ugly tonight and he is'nt letting his head drop when he falls behind, this makes very dangerous!!!

Leave a comment:

• Masterdoctorgenius
    replied
    To call a five time wc a choker and also a man who won three ranking events in a row is a disgrace.
    According to your logic neil has to be also a choker. Remember last uk semi final. Led 4-0 but "choked"
    Btw a certain ding beat neil at the ptc grand final after being 0-3 down.
    Last edited by Masterdoctorgenius; 22 November 2013, 10:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brusque
    replied
    Ding had plenty of chances but he ain't no Selby. Being a Ronnie fan I can hardly complain. I doubt Robbo can handle Rocket but Selby in the final would make for good viewing for sure and dare I say Selby is gonna eat Ronnie for breakfast again.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X