No announcement yet.

World Open 2014 - Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fair enough. It is always a risk to miss a frame for a toilet break though (at those tournaments where you aren't allowed back in until the end of the following frame)....I always expect the worst, i.e. somebody will get a maximum and I will miss it!

Comment

• Originally Posted by cueman View Post
      Also is it time we saw an end to intervals in short matches? I think they aren't necessary in the modern game and today the interval turned the match around.
      If Judd had somehow won the match, I very much doubt you would have highlighted the issue of not having a mid-session interval..
      "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

• Decider for Ding and Murphy. I got home from work and have pretty much just sat on my backside and watched three deciding frame matches....some excellent snooker today already.

Comment

• I'm surprised there's so little talk of the Ding/Murphy match.

Spolier (highlight to read)

'Murphy's played slightly better, but Ding has battled well and forced a decider. Good stuff.'
          "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• I think the players should have an interval after Four frames played, also most of the referees agree they should do as well, because the referee can't sit down and drink water like the other player can while his opponet's at the table or on a break, plus if you get two slow players playing each other it is a long time for the referee to be stood and concentrate while watching the player, especially if the match goes the distance and to a re-spotted black like the Marco Fu, Neil Robertson match did today.

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
            I'm against it because they only serve purpose for one player and that is the guy who is behind. Its an advantage to come off and re-focus your mind, get on the practice table, have a word with your coach etc. All too often we see games turn on an interval and yet we never really see the need for it. Players are always having little intervals going out the arena for a comfort break between frames etc.

I just don't like to see a player gain an advantage through something that is not needed in the short frame matches like a best of 9.

We are seeing another turnaround in the Ding match now too, I'm sure Murphy and Judd love intervals! I'm sure you'd love to come off when you are playing well too only to find you can't get back that form and the other guy turns it around!
            Last edited by Mr Snooker; 13 March 2014, 02:57 PM.
            Ronnie O' Sullivan seven times the record breaking Snooker Master

Comment

• What the hell is going on at Eurosport?? I'm just about to go out and want to record the end of this Ding/Murphy match, but the schedules are all fooked up! Right now my EPG is telling me that the Football: Algarve Cup should be on (and that I'm recording it - I'm not as there's no red light or any reference to it in my planner). This will be followed by Live Snooker (at 11:30am ??????) and then Alpine Skiing at 3:00pm.

What's more, it won't let me record the slot for the snooker

And people talk about the BBC being useless!
              "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                What the hell is going on at Eurosport?? I'm just about to go out and want to record the end of this Ding/Murphy match, but the schedules are all fooked up! Right now my EPG is telling me that the Football: Algarve Cup should be on (and that I'm recording it - I'm not as there's no red light or any reference to it in my planner). This will be followed by Live Snooker (at 11:30am ??????) and then Alpine Skiing at 3:00pm.

What's more, it won't let me record the slot for the snooker

And people talk about the BBC being useless!
                The schedules are complete rubbish. As someone said in this thread. The only way to be sure is to use the manual method and record the whole day.

Comment

• Originally Posted by spike View Post
                  If Judd had somehow won the match, I very much doubt you would have highlighted the issue of not having a mid-session interval..
                  Not at all, its something I've felt for a long time and often results like today only highlight how detrimental they can be to the player in front.

You see it as well when a player goes out the arena for a comfort break between frames and sometimes keeps his opponent waiting over 5 minutes, something that Robertson does frequently, Ebdon known for it too on occassions. Should all these breaks really be necessary along with the mid session interval? The ref can also go out of the arena and I'm sure the marking ref could set the balls up if need be.

Comment

• Give it up Ding. You're not going to get 3 snookers against Murphy.

Comment

• Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
                      Give it up Ding. You're not going to get 3 snookers against Murphy.
                      Giving up on home soil? Tell that to Selby.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Valiullin View Post
                        Giving up on home soil? Tell that to Selby.
                        Ha ha. Yeah. You've got a point.

EDIT: Ding's taking the wee now. 4 snookers needed.

Comment

• Murphy won in the end. A gutsy performance by Ding but Murphy just managed to hold his nerve in that deciding frame.

Comment

• Great win for Shaun. Ding not at his best there, though. The pressure, I guess...
                            "That pocket moved!"

Comment

• He was never going to concede here after he got three against him earlier in the match. :smile:

Good win for Murphy, pretty rare for him to win against a top player over the last two seasons. He has Dott next, and that's tough to call. Dott hasn't been on TV at all yet, but he's won all of his matches pretty comfortably, so he must be playing well. :smile:

Comment

• Just looked the replay of the match and it certainly looks like Higgins somehow has got the chance to share the same psychiatrist with O'Sullivan. Would sure like to get some of these pills myself.

Btw my first post on this forum, been hanging around for a few years but lazy enough to make a post. Any of you ever happen to come to Tallinn, Estonia, and have a frame or eight, give me a call.

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                                Higgins definitely needs to be drugs tested after this, where has this come from?!!

Also seems to be a bit of a bogey player for Judd because he always seems to come from behind and beat him. Higgins is so frustrating to watch, on this kind of form he can be like Ronnie, unstoppable, then next match he looks like he's not interested and his form is all over the place.

Comment

Working...
                                X