No announcement yet.

World Open 2014 - Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I may just take discussion away from the final for a moment, I have to say I think this has been one of the worst tournaments I've witnessed since I start watching the game. And what the fook is with Joe Johnson's breathing and clicky mouth?? He's sounds like an asthmatic pit pony chewing a toffee!!

Troublesome tables, Eurosport paying no attention to timetables, organisers not bothering to bring the cup out for the final, and only a handful of spectators each day, most of whom seem more interested in messing around on their mobile phones than watching the matches.

You can make up all the excuses you want, high ticket prices etc, but for a nation that allegedly follows this game in their hundreds of millions, something is very wrong.
    Last edited by Billy; 16 March 2014, 01:24 PM.
    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• And Joe Johnson heavy breathing between commentary.
      After 15 reds and 15 blacks i did this http://youtu.be/DupuczMS2o4

Comment

• Originally Posted by scottley View Post
        And Joe Johnson heavy breathing between commentary.
        I was editing my post to mention this.
        "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• You would'nt like to be his Missus, gauranteed snorer lol.

Comment

• 7-2 was to big a defecit but fair to Selby for making a game of it, Murphy has played the best this week, a class act!

Comment

• God of laying snookers this fella... lol

Comment

• Selby's table knowledge is superb!

Comment

• Well played Murphy!

Comment

• Garbage! That whole tournament was as bad for snooker as O'Sullivan's 147 at the Welsh Open was good.

They didn't even bother staying for the presentations, for God's sake!!

Comment

• No presentation??? Oh well nice bit of skiing pffft.

Comment

• Well, that was shaky in the end...

Congratulations to Shaun, finally a ranking event.
                        "That pocket moved!"

Comment

• Lol. Murphy wins and it's followed by 3 seconds of applause.

Are all Chinese crowds like this?

Comment

• Originally Posted by scottley View Post
                            No presentation??? Oh well nice bit of skiing pffft.
                            The only thing Barry Hearne should be concentrating on at the moment is the terrible state of the game in China... just so long as he and everyone else keeps banging on about this being where the future of the game lies :chargrined:

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                              If I may just take discussion away from the final for a moment, I have to say I think this has been one of the worst tournaments I've witnessed since I start watching the game. And what the fook is with Joe Johnson's breathing and clicky mouth?? He's sounds like an asthmatic pit pony chewing a toffee!!

Troublesome tables, Eurosport paying no attention to timetables, organisers not bothering to bring the cup out for the final, and only a handful of spectators each day, most of whom seem more interested in messing around on their mobile phones than watching the matches.

You can make up all the excuses you want, high ticket prices etc, but for a nation that allegedly follows this game in their hundreds of millions, something is very wrong.
                              Indeed. And Ding Junhui is supposed to be China's fourth most popular sportsman.

Comment

• I really enjoyed that final frame, typical Selby, sticking in there. But it wasn't to be, Murphy was the stronger player over the course of the match, particularly in that first session. The match was a pleasant surprise though, turned out to be really interesting in the end, even though it didn't go all that close. :smile:

As I suspected, the tournament was poorly supported again, with all kinds of problems going on, so maybe this town and this venue could be reconsidered when the contract runs out. But the snooker itself was quite good. I can't remember the last time we had three re-spotted blacks in one tournament and so many close frames. We had a lot of centuries as well, but to be fair the table looked a lot more generous than the one in Wales. :wink:

So, well played to Murphy for winning his first major title in more than five years. He has now probably put himself among the most serious contenders for the World title. Selby has lost his third final of the season, again struggling for most of it, but he has a couple more chances. PTC Finals next, short-format stuff unfortunately, then another trip to China. :smile:

Comment

Working...
                                X