Attending Snooker: A Guide for Morons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
    The real problem is not fans making noise, the real problem is multi-table set-ups with people moving around all the time. The thread should be about that, because that's what's really annoying players at the moment.
    No it shouldn't, because it's my thread and it's about general obnoxious behaviour - not event-specific behaviour. You either carry on contributing to my thread or make a new one, rather than trying to subvert mine

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
      If you want to take photos, buy a camera with a SILENT mode.
      I notice the "official" photographers (not the one that got an ear full from Ronnie recently) but the grey-haired lady and the Chinese chap - I am often some distance from the table and they are near the score board and I can hear their shutter sound!
      Buy a camera with a silent mode.

you would have thought....

[spleen vented - thanks ]
      In Bendigo last year the official photographer dropped his camera at a rather bad moment and got some serious glares from both players.

Felt a bit bad for him but geez.
      My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
      I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

that is an unintentional (I hope :wink occurrence but the shutter sound - argh!

:biggrin:
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

that is an unintentional (I hope :wink occurrence but the shutter sound - argh!

:biggrin:
          Hmmm, Neil was down at the time

Nah, I am sure it was an accident.
          My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
          I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

I'm not a huge photography buff, but I can really see the advantage to a DSLR at an event like this because you can set the shutter time to a slower speed and avoid using flash. I don't think it's possible to avoid the shutter sound so if I would take a camera like that with me I would want to carefully pick my shots and not blast away like I'm watching my son ride his bike without wheels the first time.

Ofcourse no sport event needs a funeral atmosphere and there is no sin in producing some sound. I saw several professional refs and players have conversations near live tables.

Comment

I have a DSLR and in the menu it has the option to turn off the shutter sound, but a friend has one that does not have such an option.
              Obviously differing manufacturers and models have different features, but if your job was taking pictures at snooker matches, I would have thought one of the necessary features of the camera would be "shutter sound off option"

got to say though, that it can be a bit spooky that a crowd of 1000+ people can be sooooo quiet

Comment

People cough, folk take pictures, people cheer, folk get up and move, multi-table offers visual distractions on top. The players simply need to man up and get on with it. If they're good enough, they won't notice anyway. The fans are just being ordinary human beings. If some fans want silence, I can only suggest that they stay at home, watch it on a screen and put ear plugs in.

Comment

Yes, please note that I never complained about people making a noise generally, merely doing things that are inconsiderate to everyone else in attendance. I neither expect nor want silence during a match, but consideration for others shouldn't go out the window just because you're at a snooker tournament.

Comment

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but inappropriate footwear; like the ladies I saw at the Welsh in high-heeled boots that made a hell of a racket as they walked around during play

Comment

Reading some of this back I realize my post this morning probably got misinterpreted and I am sorry about that! I loved Gdynia because of the great atmosphere, and sound is included in that experience. But I can see how I instead might come across as the cranky neighbour waving his walking stick to those damn kids. Even though I genuinly think people can be more.. selective.. in the sounds they chose to make I do realize there will always be sound (and people) and I include those things in the total package.

Especially my last point about the tv crowd was written too hastily.. that constant humming noise is probably not that much of a problem anyway. I connected it to some people from that crowd who would wander from the tv table to the rail above one of the tables at the of the Arena and who would whisper loudly to eachother. I've seen atleast one player on that table (McManus) the night before who had to urge the people at that railing to be quiet more than once so I am fairly sure it will be a distraction. Having said that ofcourse it has nothing to do with that big crowd.. sorry for the confusion.

Comment

What I have noticed is that when in the arena I tend not to hear the same noises that the TV mics pick up when I see the highlights later in the hotel. It seems a lot is picked up that I (or the players/refs) just never noticed in the arena.
                        As mentioned earlier, it is amazing how so many people can be so quiet at any one time, and on the whole most are very good in the arena
                        Have you decided on which tournament you will try next?

Comment

What I have noticed is that when in the arena I tend not to hear the same noises that the TV mics pick up when I see the highlights later in the hotel. It seems a lot is picked up that I (or the players/refs) just never noticed in the arena.
                          As mentioned earlier, it is amazing how so many people can be so quiet at any one time, and on the whole most are very good in the arena
                          Have you decided on which tournament you will try next?
                          Exactly that! I loved Robertson - Murphy last weekend. Hundreds of people enjoying this match practically without making a sound!

Well I'd love to visit a bigger tournament in the UK but it will take some time to get that together especially on the homefront! ;D So the plan now is to look at the PTC calender for next year and see if I can pick an event from there. For the current season I considered visiting Furth in Germany and as I understand Antwerpen and Rotterdam are not likely to return anytime soon..

Last season I didn't go to either Rotterdam or Antwerpen thinking I would get the chance next season.. regrets!

Comment

Antwerpen and Rotterdam - have you read/heard anything specific that they are not on for next season or just rumour/feeling?

would be a pity as they were well attended before.

Comment

The official PTC Antwerp website states that because of lack of subsidies and sponsorship they can't compete with east European organisers.

As for Rotterdam, there was some talk it would be back this year as ET5 but around the time it was decided to go to Lissabon, Jan Verhaas mentioned on Facebook that all efforts were made to get it back to Rotterdam in the next year. So here is hoping!

Comment

thanks for the info
                                here's hoping

Comment

Working...
                                X