Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointing finale

Comment

• Well Higgins has won. What a terrible final. I hate to have paid to watch this.

Can't they do it again and have Williams play Higgins instead.

Comment

• Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
        Well Higgins has won. What a terrible final. I hate to have paid to watch this.

Can't they do it again and have Williams play Higgins instead.
        Sure thing. . Just as soon as he beats Woollaston in the replayed semi again first.

Comment

• Get in Higgins!!

Comment

• One of the most forgettable finals in recent memory. Higgins did enough and Woollaston did nothing.

Comment

• Originally Posted by billabong View Post
              Sure thing. . Just as soon as he beats Woollaston in the replayed semi again first.
              Well. er. Yes

Comment

• Originally Posted by ghost121 View Post
                I'm not expecting anything.... ....And no one could reasonably argue that the standard of snooker in the final so far has been anything but poor, entertaining or not.
                You are clearly expecting or wanting a certain standard which had not, by your definition, been reached at the half-way stage of this final. In the first 4 frames we had 84, 58, 63, and 105. You describe this as a poor standard, so I was just wandering what you regard as a 'good' standard. I'm not trying to be obtuse, I honestly don't understand what you want from the game.

Having said that, the second half has been disappointing. John's played well but Ben didn't really turn up tonight.

-
                The fast and the furious,
                The slow and labourious,
                All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                  Having said that, the second half has been disappointing. John's played well but Ben didn't really turn up tonight.

-
                  I'm not sure who your comments are directed to. But as you said. Ben didn't turn up tonight. Maybe the occasion got to him.
                  Not a great final to watch. John got the rub of the green and the odd important fluke and Ben got no luck at all. Add to the fact that even when John missed his shots he was fluking safeties so Ben didn't have a easy pot to get into the match just knock the wind out of Ben's sails. Not helped by the fact that Ben's long game went walkabout as well.

Comment

• Pretty poor stuff tonight, nowhere close to a midnight finish. :smile: I thought last year's final was bad, but at least it had those four great frames at the end, while this year was mediocre throughout.

It's good to see Higgins winning again, no one really pushed him all the way this week, even though most of the matches were very short. He showed some good snooker at times, but he will probably need improvement to challenge for the World title at the end of the season. He has proved to himself he can still win titles though, so his confidence should be much better than in the last few years.

All in all this was a pretty forgettable week. The standard of snooker was not that great, and the format didn't do this event any favours. Hopefully they restore it back to the way it was next year, but I'm not holding my breath. :smile:

Comment

You are clearly expecting or wanting a certain standard which had not, by your definition, been reached at the half-way stage of this final. In the first 4 frames we had 84, 58, 63, and 105. You describe this as a poor standard, so I was just wandering what you regard as a 'good' standard. I'm not trying to be obtuse, I honestly don't understand what you want from the game.

-
                      Could have been worse :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1928_Wo...r_Championship

obv the cloth, balls were different then.

Comment

• Well done John Higgins. Form is temporary, but class is permanent

Comment

I'm not sure who your comments are directed to. But
                          Sorry, I was replying to ghost121, I hit "Post" instead of "Quote-post"

-
                          The fast and the furious,
                          The slow and labourious,
                          All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

-
                            I assume this is for me. I expressed an opinion that the standard of the first session was poor, particularly for a ranking event final. You disagree. Fine, you are entitled to your opinion. I didn't challenge your opinion, you challenged mine. Snooker standards are not defined by merely listing breaks achieved in certain frames without considering context. That context should also take into account missed easy pots, fluffed safeties and multiple chances needed to clinch the frames. In that respect I think this was a poor final, including the eight frames of the first session. Hands up guys who thinks this final was played to a 'good' standard?

Comment

Sorry, I was replying to ghost121, I hit "Post" instead of "Quote-post"

-
                              Fair enough

Comment

I'm not sure who your comments are directed to. But as you said. Ben didn't turn up tonight. Maybe the occasion got to him.
                                Not a great final to watch. John got the rub of the green and the odd important fluke and Ben got no luck at all. Add to the fact that even when John missed his shots he was fluking safeties so Ben didn't have a easy pot to get into the match just knock the wind out of Ben's sails. Not helped by the fact that Ben's long game went walkabout as well.

A fair assessment. It's a shame Woollaston couldn't play to his potential in his maiden ranking final. But he's certainly not the first to suffer and won't be the last, that's the nature of the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X