The Masters 2016 10-17 January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by SnookerFan View Post
    I'm not suggesting that it's the Sahara desert at the AP, but you have to get a bus just to get out the place.
    You don't though - you can walk! Highgate Station is mile and a half - 20.25 mins walk. Wood Green can be done in under 20 mins. There are trains from the rail station every 15 mins. Not quite as convenient for the Tube as Wembley was, but a lot better facilities in the area, because Muswell Hill has everything you could want and is a five-minute walk.

I've only been to Wembley for snooker, mind, so it may be better now, but it was a wasteland.
    Last edited by gavpowell; 31 December 2015, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
      You don't though - you can walk! Highgate Station is mile and a half - 20.25 mins walk. Wood Green can be done in under 20 mins. There are trains from the rail station every 15 mins. Not quite as convenient for the Tube as Wembley was, but a lot better facilities in the area, because Muswell Hill has everything you could want.
      You can't nip out for half an hour, is my point.

When I first started going to the Newport Centre, for example, I used to be able to go for a bag of chips 2 minutes walk away, and the chippy was next door to a pub. (Before they moved the chip shop, and started rebuilding the bus stop diverting pedestrians all over Newport that was.)

Personal preferences, I guess. I'd prefer something like that.

Comment

You can't nip out for half an hour, is my point.
        well, you can - during daytime there are even cafes in the ally pally park, but a dash to Muswell Hill, 5 to 10 mins, grab chips or whatever and consume on the return leg. I can't rember anywhere in Wembley that was closer, and haven't been to Newport, but it sounds a bit like the Crucible area.

Comment

You're probably right, I never venture into Ally Pally Park. Maybe I should.

I'm surprised more people didn't wake up to the Newport Centre. I used to stay in a lovely, extremely comfortable, B&B for £40 a night. One year, I got an all day ticket for the quarters, semis and the final. Total ticket cost was £100 exactly, even when you factored in p&p. Price wise, it just couldn't be beaten.

They did move the chip shop toward the end, but there was one 2 minutes walk away. I could have an hour between matches. Go for a bag of chips, two pints in the pub and be back in my seat for the following match without rush.

If you were expecting Newport to be as visually stunning as York, you were out of luck. Or, if you expected the city to be full of snooker fans like The Crucible, you were also out of luck. But if you wanted to see top class snooker for cheap, in a place with several serviceable pubs nearby, then it couldn't be whacked.k

Comment

Y
            I'm surprised more people didn't wake up to the Newport Centre. I used to stay in a lovely, extremely comfortable, B&B for £40 a night.
            I'd like to get to some other tournaments, but it would mean sacrificing a London trip and I adore London.

Comment

I'd like to get to some other tournaments, but it would mean sacrificing a London trip and I adore London.
              Yes, I wouldn't compare Newport to the capital city, or anything. But I always enjoyed going.

Comment

I have only been to the Masters at Alexandra Palace. I would loved to have gone to Wembley Conference Centre. Was the atmosphere there as good as it was reported to be?

Comment

Originally Posted by nicky1982 View Post
                  I have only been to the Masters at Alexandra Palace. I would loved to have gone to Wembley Conference Centre. Was the atmosphere there as good as it was reported to be?
                  I think I only caught the last two at the conference centre, but I can't remember a thing about it.

Comment

Originally Posted by nicky1982 View Post
                    Went to quite a few at the conference centre in the 80's onwards and loved it.

Great atmosphere, comfy seats and a good night. The league used to organise a coach to go up it was that popular; seems like a long time ago but there's still some live snooker around!
                    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Nicky 1982, have a look at this old video for atmosphere from two showmen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b9P...VfGdo0&index=2

No toilet breaks and no fakes. The interview of them afterwards is beautiful. Notice how they're not bothering with little sips of water. lol

If anyone going to the Masters can post a photo here, when they're there; brilliant.
                      Last edited by barrywhite; 31 December 2015, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post

If anyone going to the Masters can post a photo here, when they're there; brilliant.
                        What, a photo inside Ally Pally?

Comment

Thanks a lot for the 1984 Masters link. That was excellent.

Comment

What, a photo inside Ally Pally?
                            Yeah, not sure about the rules there having thought about it. But if they allow a selfie or shot before the match or maybe outside the arena in the reception area or at the hot dog stand?

Comment

Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post
                              Yeah, not sure about the rules there having thought about it. But if they allow a selfie or shot before the match or maybe outside the arena in the reception area or at the hot dog stand?
                              The rules are ok - the officials get very shirty about camera use during frames, but between frames they don't mind, and of course some people just break the rules anyway!

Comment

The rules are ok - the officials get very shirty about camera use during frames, but between frames they don't mind, and of course some people just break the rules anyway!
                                Go the punks, take the photos, you bought the tickets!

* So who's gonna make the semis and win it?

Comment

Working...
                                X